How do you do it?

Options
Okay I have been diagnosed with Bipolar and Depression. I am on medication and I have gained 100 pounds. So now I am trying to lose weight but it is incredibly hard because I feel like eating so much carbs immediately. For others that have a similar situation what do you do?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Is it the starchy carbs your craving (stupid question I know)? If so you can try cutting them out for a few weeks and see if the cravings stop.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    It is all of the bad stuff!
  • StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OK. It sucks. With carbs especially. However, I've seen the low carb/no carb light. I can tell you what I do and maybe it'll help you out. I do not eat refined carbs - if it's got flour or sugar in it, I'm not having it in my daily diet. As for the carbohydrates in everything else, I limit those to around 100 grams a day (75 net carbs).

I love carbs. I can make a meal out of a bread basket. But it's like poison to me - once I do it, it's hard to not keep doing it and it is - plain and simple - chemistry. Carbs are made to make us want to eat more.

I don't know how to suggest doing it other than going cold turkey - but before you do, think about what you eat, what you like to eat, and try to plan a day with 100 carbs or less. Try it for a short amount of time - I did it for a week and had a major (for me) loss (6 lbs in 8 days). That week's loss was enough motivation for me to keep going and so far, it's working.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has been a lifesaver for me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I take medication for depression. I went cold turkey off all refined sugar and white starchy carbs for a month to get rid of the cravings. It wasn't easy but they are gone. Now I have an occasional treat and limit my starchy carbs. But I also have diabetes so I MUST watch my carbs...have no choice.

Don't wait til you end up with diabetes like me....start watching your carbs NOW.
  • webarr2003
    webarr2003 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm a carb eater. I told a trainer that I recently met it's not junk food that I like, I'm more of a meat and potatoes type of girl and I love my carbs. One thing I did was switch to whole grain: meaning whole grain pancakes by hungry jack (because their quick since I have three kids), whole grain or multigrain english muffins, whole grain or smart taste pasta, and whole grain soft bimbo bread. Also, when talking to the trainer I recently met he told me not to eat fruit, sugars, or carbs after 4pm. The only thing I should eat after 4pm is baked chicken breast or fish and vegatables for dinner. I just started not eating carbs after 4pm, so I will let you know how that works out by the end of July. Lastly, start by watching how much carbs you eat in one day then move it to a week and so on. For instance, I'm still watching how much carbs I eat each day. My carb intake today included a weight watchers english muffin and weight watchers thai chicken with noodles since I didn't come home during my break and two vegtable dumblings. As you can see I eat carbs and I'm still losing weight. It's just what type of carbs you eat, how much, and how often you eat them. Hopefully this helps.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as I was diagnosed with having Borderline Personality Disorder. A component of having the disorder is binge eating or other eating disorders and having to combat that is certainly a challenge. Don't set yourself up for failure though, set yourself up for success. Instead of buying chips, twinkies, and bagel...opt for a healthier option of your favorite foods so you don't feel like you are sacraficing much. So instead you would buy healthy crackers, maybe those 100 calorie pack snacks, and maybe the mini bagels which are just as good with half the calories and carbs.

Friend me if you would like. I've been on the path to swapping a lot of my foods with healthier options so if you ever want to ask me what I swapped for what, then you can. :-) Also drink lots of water and it will help fill you up. It actually works.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    For bipolar I'll assume you're on Lithium, which is basically salt. If you're on that, half of what you gained is water weight. Drink tons, sweat like hell, get a fluid pill if you have to. It'll help, believe me. Been on that stuff going on 5 years now and my ankles haven't been swollen since I started drinking more and just water.

Carbs are not a bad thing to have in moderation. If you think you can have them in moderation without threatening to gorge, then do so. If you don't think you can control how much of them you eat, eliminate them completely or give yourself one day where you're allowed your cravings. But really the best thing would be to shun them and try to get your tastebuds craving better alternatives, which takes time.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't eat sugar and white flour, and limit my carbs to those in fruits and vegies (and don't even eat sugary fruits like grapes, pineapple, and watermeloon). For me the craving leaves after about 30 days, and I find it much easier and simpler not to eat them. When I don't eat them I don't crave them. What helps during the first 30 days, is eating plenty of protein every 3 hours or so, enough fats, exercise (which improves my mood and optimism), support from others, and finding beauty and spirituality in every day. So many people here inspire me. You can do this too!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add one more thing -- I believe we all are born with different metabolisms (based on genetics, etc), and so what works for one person may not work for another. For me sugar and white flour foods in moderation never work, I just want more, and more and more. But I know plenty of people who can eat sugar and these foods in moderate amounts. I think to some degree its trial and error as to what works for each of us. (keeping in mind of course the mantra calories count). So for me no sugar or white flour -- but for others that is there business.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I only purchase whole grains, nothing but wheat/rice flour. I grew up on brown rice, its just that I can do well and then immediately after popping my meds I find myself eating any bad carbs I can find (i am currently on holiday so I am at a relative and they love weed so we get tons of junk)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I only purchase whole grains, nothing but wheat/rice flour. I grew up on brown rice, its just that I can do well and then immediately after popping my meds I find myself eating any bad carbs I can find (i am currently on holiday so I am at a relative and they love weed so we get tons of junk)

If you think your cravings are a direct result of your medications, you need to speak with the prescribing doctor about it. I'd also look up their information online and make yourself familiar with the side effects. If indeed it's the medication and you can identify which one it is, and you're unhappy with what's going on then ask to be put on something else. You'll still have the side effect of weight gain (all psych meds do) but if it can stop you from craving and binging then you can still successfully lose weight.