Any good tips for toning arms

Options
I am working on overall weight loss but i also really really want nice toned arms, i have looked online at exercises to do, but wondered if anyone has any exercises or tips that they have used and found rally worked.

So far i use a resistance band, and do various exercises with small hand weights i do feel it a little but have only just started working on my arms.

Any advice appreciated : )

Replies

• Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to keep on increasing the weights. Are you working out other body parts as well (legs, stomach etc)?
  • maidofstone
    maidofstone Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm doing overall workouts, i use the ea active 2 for playstation, i thought it would be crap but you can really feel it! but i really want nice arms, mine are not awful yet, but they are not how i want them and i used to think only really skinny girls have the nice toned arms until i came on here and saw peoples results on pictures now i feel like i can do it too,

Thanks for your advice, wish me luck
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm doing overall workouts, i use the ea active 2 for playstation, i thought it would be crap but you can really feel it! but i really want nice arms, mine are not awful yet, but they are not how i want them and i used to think only really skinny girls have the nice toned arms until i came on here and saw peoples results on pictures now i feel like i can do it too,

CURLS CURLS CURLS... did I say curls? :)

Use enough weight so that your last 3 reps burn. No more than 10 reps - if you can do 10 reps without a burn the weight is too light. Reverse grip pull ups are arm burners too!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Use enough weight so that your last 3 reps burn. No more than 10 reps - if you can do 10 reps without a burn the weight is too light. Reverse grip pull ups are arm burners too!

Disagree to a point. It's the triceps rather than biceps that shape the arm so I wouldn't disregard those in favour of bicep exercises such as curls

Tricep dips for an exercise with no weights, close hand pressups too.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips - I really must start including them in my routine too.
  • Zoesmum025
    Zoesmum025 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am working on overall weight loss but i also really really want nice toned arms, i have looked online at exercises to do, but wondered if anyone has any exercises or tips that they have used and found rally worked.

So far i use a resistance band, and do various exercises with small hand weights i do feel it a little but have only just started working on my arms.

Any advice appreciated : )
  • Zoesmum025
    Zoesmum025 Posts: 37
    Options
    Time and again I find myself going back to Callan Pinkney's arm toning exercise. You could probably find it on Youtube. It will also help strengthen the upper back also and help improve posture. It would only take five minutes and is very, very effective!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Aside from weight training, you could try swimming, a combination of both has worked for me (no bingo wings here :bigsmile: ).
  • jnovakov
    jnovakov Posts: 2
    Options
    If you just do maybe 50-100 'girl' push ups, a few sets of plank on your forarms for a minute and maybe use elastic bands a few times a week youll have nicely toned arms in no time! I rarely bother with anything other than body weight exercises, I really dislike using weights. My workouts are usually something like I said except pull-ups and other pulling workouts instead of elastic bands.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Find a good strength training routine, they're all over the place but depending on your goals I would recommend different sites.

Stick with this routine for several weeks until you feel like you must change it up (I do this every couple of months). Gradually increase the weight, because lifting should almost always be difficult, which is why it's referred to as "resistance training" -- the more resistance, the tougher it gets!

And voila, you'll be a pro in no time!

**edit** someone mentioned above to focus on your triceps and I completely agree, with the assumption that you are training every other muscle in your body just as hard. Triceps account for 2/3 of the muscle mass in the arm as it is!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I 'm a big fan of 30 day Shred by Jillian Micheals, I swear the first time I did it I saw definition in my arms after a few days! Lifting heavy stuff at the gym has given me definition I never thought I'd see, but I do a program that targets the whole body, not just the upper body. Planks and variations of those are pretty fab too. Having less body fat will obviously help you see the results of all your hard work too.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Bump! Just what i was lookin for :)
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Disagree to a point. It's the triceps rather than biceps that shape the arm so I wouldn't disregard those in favour of bicep exercises such as curls

Tricep dips for an exercise with no weights, close hand pressups too.

You need to work both the triceps and biceps
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Oooo, I'm in the same boat, I want really nice arms too.

I just did an upper body workout this morning that had me doing: lateral raises, db shrugs, dips, push-ups, bent-over rows and bicep curls. Three sets of 8 reps with a minute of rest between sets.

Good luck.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Press ups and triceps dips. LOTS of them.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would say don't neglect your shoulders, as this makes a big difference to how your arms look as well. Try this exercise to add some definition: http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/healthwise/medical/hw/h9991522_003.jpg
    For the rest of the arm, I agree, dips or tricep push ups for your triceps, and the only exercise for biceps I have found effective are curls.
    Good luck!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I use 3 pound had weights during 30 mins of my work out. Everyone brags on my arms. Its worth the hard work
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other person that mentioned 30day shred its a great workout in all but my arms really saw a difference after doing that vidieo and level one is free on Utube

also push-ups
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I also did 30 day shred and saw no change to my arms. I did jillian michaels no more trouble zones for the first time today. Every circuit has arm exercises, im hoping for good results! It's free on YouTube x
  • maidofstone
    maidofstone Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the advice, some rally good suggestions in here : )

I'm not feeling 'the burn' at the moment in my arms thats why i asked on here, i love that feeling too!

I'm going to check out a couple of the youtube suggestions and a lot of you mentioned push ups i've never tried those so will add that to my routine.

Thanks everyone