No Cook - Vegetarian - Under 150 Calorie Dinner

Options
kaleas
kaleas Posts: 200
So I was having friends over, was broke, but was blessed with an entire CSA share hiding in my fridge. Begin operation "What the hell can I make when it's 95 degrees, I have no AC, and need to feed people a light summer meal that goes great with beer?"

ports.jpg

ports_2.jpg

I first wanted to make a coleslaw with tofu sliders on the side, but decided it was too hot to bake tofu. Then I was just going to stick portabello's in the buns, but then they make the bread soggy. But wait! Mushrooms are...kind of...like buns? Aha! This is easy to make, which means you can get back to throwing back the cold brews with your friends in less than a half hour.

FOR THE SLAW :

Vegetables of your choosing, I used:

4 Ears of Corn, Kernels Cut off
1/2 Radicchio Cabbage
1 Bunch Broccoli, stems cut off as close as possible
1 Cup Shredded Carrots

1/4 Cup Olive Oil
3 Tsp Sugar
Salt (It needs a lot of salt, I'd say anywhere between 1 tsp - 2 tsp. Radicchio is really bitter)
Pepper
1/2 Lime fully squeezed

Assemble and put in the fridge for however long you want. The longer the better.

FOR THE MUSHROOMS :
Wipe dirt off mushrooms, slather with your favorite BBQ sauce. (Normally here I would have made my own, but I had limited time so I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle to compliment the lime in the slaw)
Allow to marinate for however long you want. Again, the longer the better. You're not cooking the mushrooms so the liquid from your marinade is going to help them soften a bit.

ASSEMBLAGE :

Cole Slaw
Mushrooms
Laughing Cow Chipotle Cheese Wedge

Spread half a wedge on top of each mushroom, being sure to gets mixed in with the BBQ. This becomes a "sauce". Spoon the slaw on top until the mushroom is filled.

WALA!

This recipe still needs perfecting. Next time I make this, I'm going to make my own BBQ sauce, let the mushrooms marinade longer, and wipe them off so that the cheese has a better palette for being placed. After assembling, I will drizzle with more sauce.

Let me know what you think.

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    They look delish!!!!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am bookmarking the hell out of this.
  • kaleas
    Options
    I am bookmarking the hell out of this.

Thank you! =) I do a lot of cooking like this but never have the time to actually write anything up, but thought my fellow MFP food enthusiasts would enjoy this.
  • kaleas
    Options
    I wanted to add that I had the leftovers today and they're even better than yesterday. The mushroom really had the chance to soak in the liquids and begin to soften.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I'd be tempted to grill the mushrooms though.
  • kaleas
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I'd be tempted to grill the mushrooms though.

I would have definitely grilled them had I had access to a grill. Even lightly. I'd only do this though if you don't plan to have leftovers, otherwise I think they'll get TOO soggy.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am just making this now, all marinating in the fridge. I can't wait until it's done. :)
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    yum