Zumba

Options
I do Zumba three days a week. I feel the Exercise portion does not have many options when it comes to "workout classes"... Any idea how many calories in an hour Zumba class I'm burning roughly?

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't you love it?? I am also doing Zumba three days a week. Our sessions are 45 minutes. I asked our instructor how much, on average, she thinks we are burning. She said if we do the moves correctly, we are at least burning 750. On here, I have to mark aerobics, high impact and am only getting credit for 341.....but afraid to change it manually because I am not totally sure.
  • lilyates23
    lilyates23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh man only 310. You're not giving yourself enough credit. I sweat so much during the class. & one day a week I do my workout instructors Cardio Dance. "If you're sweating, you're at least burning 500 calories" that's what my instructor says all the time.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I start Zumba, I'll be using my HRM, and that will tell me exactly how many calories I am burning. I'll log it as such.
  • jodygehrke
    jodygehrke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i am a zumba instructor and i keep track of my calories burned wearing a mio heart monitor watch. it is pretty accurate. i burn any where from 350-500 calories in an hour. depending on which class i teach. tonight i did back to back classes and the total calories burned was 1084. hope this helps you out! its great that you are doing zumba!
    jody gehrke
    merrill, wi
  • kabenedi
    Options
    •Zumba workouts can vary in intensity, and calorie burn depends on an individual's weight, fitness level and muscle composition. During an hour long session you can burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories. On average, a 150-lb. person can expect to burn 536 calories during an hour of Zumba. By comparison, the same person would burn 413 calories during an hour of moderate swimming, 477 for an hour of casual racquetball and 684 for an hour of running at a 10-minute-mile pace.

Read more: How Many Calories Do You Burn During One Hour of Zumba? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5368632_many-during-one-hour-zumba_.html#ixzz1C0f5sGbV

I averaged it out and said 650 since I don't currently have a Body Bug or anything that secifially tells me how many I am burning for sure. I love it and I do it 3-4 days a week.
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on by watching youtube videos lol but i use my HRM so if you want to add me & look at my excerises it will give you an example of about how many calories i burn
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I must be doing something wrong then. I do 45 minutes on Wii with my HRM and it says that I burn 200 pretty consistantly over the 45 minutes. I get rated "Zumba Pro" in the intermediate and I sweat a lot, but my HRM says 200 for the 45 minute routine, so I'm not about to argue with it.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I wear my HRM and burn between 740-817 calories in one hour of Zumba. I am a retired professional dancer and move as big if not bigger than my instructor. I get a little "too" into it I suppose :) Once we had a sub and I know my calorie burn was half that, so it depends on how much time the instructor takes to explain or if she just keeps you moving I think.
  • lilyates23
    lilyates23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My Zumba class is intense, thanks guys for the help! Answers a lot of my questions. Keep on Zumba-ing <3
  • WJDMOM2012
    Options
    Forgive me, but what is an HRM? Plesae inbox me since I don't know that I"ll get the reply here. Thanks!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    With my HRM I know that I burn b/w 425-600 calories per class depending on the instructor. I think the zumba calorie calculator online is pretty accurate w/ your stats so you should try using that.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and burn between 740-817 calories in one hour of Zumba. I am a retired professional dancer and move as big if not bigger than my instructor. I get a little "too" into it I suppose :) Once we had a sub and I know my calorie burn was half that, so it depends on how much time the instructor takes to explain or if she just keeps you moving I think.

Lol this is me (minus being a professional, just serious about ballet until age 17), My instructor looked at me Saturday and just said "you go girl" because I was all over the place.
  • s0jersgirl143
    s0jersgirl143 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm the same. My instructor the other day was impressed that I had burned over the amount of calories she'd burned. I got 900 cal in a 60 min class. ;) Feels good, but keep in mind you'll still need to build muscle!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity and also the size of the person doing it. the bigger the person the more you will burn as you will get your heart pumping quicker.

I am CW 198.6lbs, 5ft 8" and when i do an really high intensity Zumba class i burn around 700 calories in an hour, but I keep the intensity up all the time, even when the instructor is bring it down - she knows I'm going for the killer burn and is happy for me to do that.

I have, however gone to different instructor classes and burn't around 450 - but I guess the more familiar you are with the routine the better a workout you can get because you can really push yourself.

good luck and enjoy. x
  • vollmera86
    vollmera86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I calculate my calories burned using zumbacalories.com It takes into account your weight, the intensity level and the length of the workout!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I calculate my calories burned using zumbacalories.com It takes into account your weight, the intensity level and the length of the workout!

Thanks for the link, that's what I have been looking for. I just did Zumba tonight at the Y for the first time in about 3 years. I looked like an idiot because I didn't know any of the moves. I probably didn't do very high intensity because I wasn't sure what I was doing most of the time. I love it, but I am debating if I should go back because I felt so stupid.
  • ennuifreezone
    ennuifreezone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I probably didn't do very high intensity because I wasn't sure what I was doing most of the time. I love it, but I am debating if I should go back because I felt so stupid.

Of course you should go back, everyone has to start somewhere! Don't worry about not being perfect at the moves, that will come in time. Or maybe not - I am pretty hopeless with rhythm, haha - but it is still fun! The more you do it, the easier it will be. Maybe try to get a friend to go with you if you are self-conscious or try to buddy up with someone in the class that also looks new?
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM. In a live 60 min class, depending on the instructor, I will burn anywhere from 550 to 700. At 700 I'm ready to fall over. On Zumba Wii 2, in the mid-length class (45min) I burn about 400-450 cals. You have to have a Fitbit or HRM to tell you how much you actually burn. I can't live without mine. I also have the Zumba videos. (the old ones) I only burn about 300. They are not as active as a live class or the Wii. I hope this helps. I'm 5'5'' and 165, if that helps. Also 32yrs.
  • sharlene007
    Options
    Heart rate monitor.
  • Fab4life1
    Fab4life1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, but what is an HRM? Plesae inbox me since I don't know that I"ll get the reply here. Thanks!

Heart rate monitor