Pounds in a dress size

Replies

• cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    I think I was in a 22 right after I had my last baby. I dropped about 25 pounds with no effort (besides breastfeeding, ha) and only dropped one size. So when I started trying to lose weight I was a size 20. 27 pounds later I'm in a 16. So it looks like for me I have to lose quite a bit to drop a size, but I do seem to carry most of my fat in my abdomen and hips.
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Mine is about 10 lbs. I was a 14 pants when I started. My size 12s can now be pulled down without unbuttoning. A 10 is still tight. I don't wear many dresses, but I bought a size L maxi dress a few weeks ago that was very tight through the shoulders. Now it fits great!
  • I cannot even think about pounds to drop....it seems so impossible. But if I could wrap my mind around it, I would be happy just to get to a size 12-14.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    I've lost 70 pounds and 7 dress sizes so it's about 10 pounds per size for me.

it's about 10lb per size for me too.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Meant to say - I started as a UK 18 - 20 and am now a 10 - 12, and that's 80lb lighter. I have to shift a lot to shop smaller, ha!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    How long is a piece of string??

It totally depends on your starting weight, height and build.

For example, someone who is 6 foot tall and starting at 330 may have to drop 30 (or more) pounds before a dress/trouser size is dropped. Whereas someone who is 5 foot and 115 may only need to drop 5 pounds to go down a size.

Muscle tone and build also play a large factor.
  • curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    About 10 lbs for me. I'm 5' 2'' so "less room" to spread the weight out ;)

DITTO!!! Im almost there!!! just three lbs to go baby!!! wooot! kinda a perk of being a shorty mc short short :D
  • I've always gone by 10 lbs.
  • LizAWDavis
    LizAWDavis Posts: 45
    About a stone per dress size (14lbs)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    14lb here too, and I'm 6'.
  • I'm sure it depends where u lose weight.... for me i usually lose in my butt and legs first, my tummy likes to hold onto it! so i usually end up not going down a pants size for a while and the legs and butt in the pants are baggy while the waist band is fitted, :o(
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I beginning to think that it must be 50lbs a dress size. LOL!! I have lost 17lbs and I'm getting nowhere. I honestly have no clue :)

When I took a sewing class, the woman talked about "ease of wear", which means if you have a 32 inch waste, the waste band would be an inch or 2 larger, so I think it also depends on how you have been wearing your clothing. For example, I was an 18 or 18/20 and my clothes were stretchy, so I was maxing out my size, which means I was probably really a 20 and it took a loooong time to go down a size. I have lost 54 - 56 pounds and am now a size 14, large shirt and dress (which is equivalent to a 12-14). Technically I have only dropped 2 sizes, but there is also a difference between the plus sizes and women's size clothing too, so it gets very confusing. Do NOT get discouraged!! I too wonder when I am going to drop another size. I have to keep trying on a range of sizes when I go shopping - it can get time consuming!
  • mrsoz22
    mrsoz22 Posts: 61 Member
    It always seems to be about 20 - 25 lbs for me to comfortably fit in the next size down...hoping to be down one soon!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,851 Member
    For me its like 15 to 20lbs to get into a new dress size. I think its crazy how everybody is so different in this way
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    I just thought back and it does indeed work out between 10lb and a stone [14lb] and I'm 5'6".

At 123lb I was a size UK8
    At 134lb I was a size UK10
    At 146lb I was a size UK12
    At 160lb I became a size UK14
    And eventually at 170lb 14s began to get seriously tight... that's the biggest I ever got as I outright refused to buy anything with a size 16 tag on it.
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    It just depends on how much you have to lose... SHould be based on more % of weight loss.... Mine is normally 10%... 30# for 300, 20# for 200....
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    i'd say about 10-12llbs
  • katrina1501
    katrina1501 Posts: 23 Member
    ive lost 30lb and gone down from size 18 to 16 jeans but not on top, im still the same, although my old dresses are getting bigger on me
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Around 14 I think, I'm 5ft 7! X
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    It seems to be about 10 pounds as far as I can tell, but when I started this journey 10 pounds was a smaller percentage of my total weight than it is now. So I am thinking that when I lose 10 pounds now it will show up as a smaller size more quickly. The catch is that it seems to take longer to shed the 10 pounds the closer I get to my goal. So in the beginning more than 10 pounds, but now it is closer to 10 and getting to be less than 10. I hope this ramble makes sense.