Sweet Potato Recipes

Options

Replies

• rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes. I went through a phase where I just put sweet potatoes in everything, even non-traditional stuff. Here's one of my favorites:

Mashed up sweet potato, almond or coconut flour, egg whites, protein powder, almond milk, and cinnamon or whatever spices you want.
    I just eyeball the ingredients until it forms a nice pancake batter, then I cook it like a normal pancake.

For the topping, I mix some fat free Greek yogurt with almond milk to make it thinner and a little bit of Truvia or honey for sweetness.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites

serves about 2 (maybe more)

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into uniform rounds

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 teaspoon fresh thyme

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 teaspoons finely grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon pepper

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.

In a small bowl, combine panko, parsley, basil, thyme, cilantro, parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix with a spoon and use your hands to get everything combined.

Peel (if you want) your sweet potatoes and slice into rounds about 1/4 of an inch thick. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, then stir with your hands to make sure each piece is coated back and front. Add in panko + herbs, stirring again with your hands and pressing lightly to adhere. Some will stick – some will not. That’s fine! Place rounds on the wire rack, and then sprinkle the leftover panko + herbs from the bottom of the bowl over top of each round.

Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until crust is golden and sweet potatoes are soft. Serve immediately with smoky basil truffle sauce!

Smoky Basil Truffle Dipping Sauce

3/4 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt

1 teaspoon truffle oil

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

pinch of salt & pepper

Whisk ingredients together until smooth, then serve.

****BUMP****

Thanks for the recipe!!

Elephantbutt.gif
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Peel it, cut it into small chunks, toss with pumpkin pie spice and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. OMG so yummy
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump for sweet potato love, more recipes please!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kwjmom
    kwjmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Nice to have so many sweet potato ideas together!
  • mzcruise
    mzcruise Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Glad I found this thread!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Peel it, cut it into small chunks, toss with pumpkin pie spice and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. OMG so yummy

Can't wait to try this!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just bake/microwave it, and eat it with a TINY bit of butter, brown sugar, and lots of cinnamon. It's really good! Or plain too.

I always eat them with the skin on, too.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    This may sound odd, but I love it in Mac N' Cheese and on pizza with ham or salami and broccoli rabe! :)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Two ways I looove sweet potatoes!

First- slice like fries, drizzle with olive oil, chili powder, salt, and rosemary, bake in the oven at 425 for 20 mins, more or less depending on how thick/thin you slice them.

Second- Baked, then in a small bowl slice down the center and put about 1 tbsp butter, salt and pepper and then add to the bowl a serving of thawed peas. I discovered this while trying to use up ingredients I had. It was delicious, I had it again the next day for lunch.
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    I microwave a sweet potato for 5 minutes, cut down the center then add a wedge or two of laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese spread. SO good!
  • SenseAtional
    SenseAtional Posts: 134
    Options
    Grilled Sweet Potato Salad. It's so simple, yet so delicious, and barely any work. 3 ingredients - sweet potatoes, basil, and feta. Here's the recipe: http://www.mywalletisfatnotme.com/2011/09/grilled-sweet-potato-salad-recipe.html

I also like to make a version of chilli sweet potato hash browns. I just shred a sweet potato using a box grater, spray a pan with olive oil spray, spread out the shredded sweet potato in the pan, and sprinkle the top generously with chili powder. I mix everything up, so all the pieces are coated with the chili powder, then spread it out in a thin layer again, and cook on one side until crispy. Then, I flip everything over and crisp the other side. It's pretty much only the calories from the sweet potatoes and a little bit from the olive oil spray. So delicious!

I also make vegetarian chili with chunks of sweet potatoes.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I microwave a sweet potato for 5 minutes, cut down the center then add a wedge or two of laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese spread. SO good!

I sooooo have to try that!!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22312/cottage+pie+with+sweet+potato Yum, this! I made it last week and am dying to give it another go, except I think I should be eating more than just cottage pie... It made me five servings with a little tweaking - added extra chopped veg to the mince and I didn't mash the sweet potato with milk and butter, just cubed it, cooked in the microwave and smushed things together into a very passable mash. With a sprinkle of low fat cheese it's very, very filling and very diet friendly. Oh, and the servings freeze wonderfully. I made them in the individual Pyrex bowls with cheery red lids and nothing in the dish lost flavour or texture after the freezing and defrosting process.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    Ok .. daft question.

What is special about sweet potatoes?

I absolutely love them, but aren't they just as carby as normal pots?