Is Kale good?

Options
I've heard Kale is very good for you, but I've never tried it. I saw some in the grocery store yesterday and it looked pretty good, but I didn't get any.
How does it taste and what can you eat it with?

Replies

• debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I occasionally put one leaf in my protein shake (instead of spinach). You can't taste it- but it's good for you :)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I can only eat it as baked kale chips. But some people eat it raw and others eat it steamed or boiled.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I can only eat it as baked kale chips. But some people eat it raw and others eat it steamed or boiled.

I love your username. And I love cats.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I love your username. And I love cats.
    Thanks! Me too, obviously (=
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Kale can be substituted for spinach in many recipes. Kale is a stronger leaf with a mildly bitter taste. I like using kale in soups rather than spinach as it holds its shape and texture better than spinach that wilts easily.
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    You can use kale like lettuce as well. In fact, I don't like lettuce that much but like Kale. I have been putting it on the bottom of my plate, then I put my carbs and protein on top and mix it all together. For example, Kale + Quinoa + Chicken. It makes an easy way to get your greens.
  • eaglewind
    eaglewind Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kale is fantastic for you! You can saute' it with some garlic and olive oil (chop it first), you can bake it into chips, chop it as the main base for a veggie soup (I do kale, tomato, beans, Italian seasoning and whatever meat I have on hand if I feel like it); or use it in place of any other dark leafy green veggie. I find it's less bitter than most of the other greens, and holds up well.
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love kale in all its forms. I think it's great just steamed. I have it in green smoothies, bake kale chips and make massaged kale salad (if you massage the dressing in it breaks the kale down a little bit so it is more tender). Some people, like my parents, tend to find it a little bitter so if you have a hard time with it it's always worth trying one of the other dark leafy greens many people are less familiar with (chard, mustard greens, collards, etc.).
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sometimes he is, other times he can be a bit naughty.
    Kale is my sons name lol
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I juice it or put it in smoothies.... or saute it with onion and tomatos. But, mostly juice it with other fruits and veggies. It's not my favorite flavor for just using as a type of lettuce in a salad or sandwhich.
    But, I LOVE it and it is high in potassium and vitamin K. ... Hence the pic of Kale, lol.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am using it tonight. Using it + black beans + quinoa + salsa all mixed together. Really good filling dinner. Kale chips are super good too.
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love Kale chips, but I can't cook them correctly...they usually burn... Any ideas?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I like it steamed, with some BBQ sauce. Mmmm.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I drizzle olive oil on it and salt and pepper, put in in the oven at 400 and bake them for about 20 minutes. Kale chips! Yummy. :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I personally CANNOT stand Kale! I've tried it in smoothies, I've tried it in salads, mixing it in different meals, and even making Kale chips... I just find it has such a strong flavor. I don't know if it's just me, but yuck. lol
  • reginapeak
    reginapeak Posts: 24
    Options
    Interesting timing, I just tried Kale. I use it in a smoothie.
    Kale, Spinach, and berries. One cup plain yogurt and wala! Smoothie.
    I cannot taste it, but its good. I just purchased more- and plan to continue making myself these smoothies.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I've heard Kale is very good for you, but I've never tried it. I saw some in the grocery store yesterday and it looked pretty good, but I didn't get any.
    How does it taste and what can you eat it with?

I didn't read through anyone else's but the taste is a personal preference like with anything we eat. You may love avacados and I hurl when I eat them (literally). If you look online, you can find a good recipe for kale chips too. I put a little soy parm on mine and yummy. I also chop it up and put it in soups and stews and salads and then I steam it with lemon and garlic.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love Kale chips, but I can't cook them correctly...they usually burn... Any ideas?

I recently lowered the temperature from broiling to 400 degrees. Took longer, but they didn't burn.
  • betsyb27
    betsyb27 Posts: 2
    Options
    Kale is fantastic and delicious if you cook it the right way.
    Three easy ways to use it are:
    1) Sautee onions and carrots in olive oil for a few minutes.. Add some tamari or Braggs liquid aminoes. Toss in some kale, stir and cover so kale steams (about 2 minutes). Take off heat. Add some lemon juice, chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes if you want to spice it up. Serve with brown rice or as a side to any meat dish.

2) Bake: Toss torn kale with some olive oil. Place on cookie sheets wiht parchment paper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
    Lightly salt and enjoy as chips.

3) Chop raw kale as fine as you can. Add 1 cup cooked quinoa. Add half an avocado, corn, beans, papper, olive oil and lemon. Sunflower seeds if you want. Toss it all together and salt to taste.

All of these are delicious and sooo good for you. Kale is one of the most nutrient dense food there is.
    Enjoy!!
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It is good in soups!