Do you follow a certain diet or do you just track calories?

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing about a woman who found a daily meal plan that worked for her (in WW with a leader I knew, but it really wouldn't matter which plan). She ate the exact same things every day for an entire year. Lost all the weight she wanted. But at the end of the year, she still had no idea how to eat for the rest of her life to maintain. She gained it all back in less than a year.
    That had to be the most boring year ever.
    I agree... there's no way I could have done it! I don't remember exactly what she ate each day, but it was pretty dull and didn't sound all that healthy to me. And to have that much effort go to waste... how sad. :cry:
    There are so many options that would have been almost as "simple" and more maintainable. If she needed a routine, she could have at least had 7 different daily menus or more, and then rotated them. That would have also made it possible to have a "standard" shopping list.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I eat what I want. I don't do low-anything except I try to control my sodium. Else than that, I just try and stay under my total calories. It has worked fine so far.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

I do this and try to pay attention to my cholesterol but I don't watch it as carefully as I should :blushing:
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    I just eat real food.

This!

Also, it's probably not a good idea to go on a diet that you can't maintain for LIFE. Your example looks reasonable, but just stay within your calorie goals and remember that food is fuel for your body and your workouts!
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just track calories now while I go by serving sizes on the labels.

But before that I was on the special k diet which helped me drop 6lbs .(I can't imagine staying on that diet for the rest of my life lol)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Since I started my weightloss journey I have followed two different "diets"

1. Low Carb/High Protein
    2. Ashy Bines Clean Eating Plan: Basically low carb, no diary, no processed food, no sweetners etc.

I have hit a point where I am binging every other day and always thinking about food. I think it is because I feel so deprived. I have dropped 3 dress sizes and although I would like to lose some more weight, it is no longer my major goal over overall fitness and health.

I also feel that I have formed an unhealthy relationship with food, and view things as either "good"or "bad". For instance, I really want to eat oats for breakfast but they fall under "bad"as they are carbs, so instead I eat egg whites with spinach and onion and sometimes tomato but tomatoes have high sugar so only sometimes. It is such an unhealthy mindset and I am really worn down.

I'm thinking about just eating what I want, but tracking my calories to make sure i'm eating the right amount.

Example:
    Baked blueberry and apple oats
    Protein shake (if hungry)
    Rye sandwich with tuna, lettuce, carrot and onion with light mayo.
    0% Chobani
    Quest protein bar (no sugar/sugar alcohols)
    Peanut chicken skewers with sweet potato and steamed greens

That is just under my calorie goal + I will be exercising. I am really nervous about eating intuitvely and what I want.. I don't know why I have such issues with food. Am I the only one?

I just track calories and do my best to eat a balanced diet most days. I find that simply being aware of the calories I'm consuming puts me in a position to make smart choices. I might be the only one around like this, but I simply don't understand the whole low carb / no carb thing that is going on and consider it a fad.

Now, please take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I'm no doctor or nutritionist....I'm just looking at this with some common sense. The binge urges are your body or mind screaming out to tell you something. First, good for you for listening. My recommendation is to eat at a maintenance level for a couple of weeks to settle your body out (set a 0 lb per week goal on MFP). Keep exercising, and eat back a good % of your exercise calories. You want your body and mind to feel as though your body is getting enough fuel. After those first couple weeks, then set a moderate weight loss goal like 1 lb per week. You could go straight for the 2 lb per week, but your body is currently bouncing from one shock to another and you need to relieve some of that stress. As I said, I'm no medical professional (I'm an engineer) but this is my "makes sense to me" suggestion for the situation you're in.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I was just counting calories and I was losing weight, but I felt like I was going off track too much, having too many bad days, and not feeling all that great. So I just started Atkins. A week into induction, and I think it's exactly what I needed.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Since I started my weightloss journey I have followed two different "diets"

1. Low Carb/High Protein
    2. Ashy Bines Clean Eating Plan: Basically low carb, no diary, no processed food, no sweetners etc.

I have hit a point where I am binging every other day and always thinking about food. I think it is because I feel so deprived. I have dropped 3 dress sizes and although I would like to lose some more weight, it is no longer my major goal over overall fitness and health.

I also feel that I have formed an unhealthy relationship with food, and view things as either "good"or "bad". For instance, I really want to eat oats for breakfast but they fall under "bad"as they are carbs, so instead I eat egg whites with spinach and onion and sometimes tomato but tomatoes have high sugar so only sometimes. It is such an unhealthy mindset and I am really worn down.

I'm thinking about just eating what I want, but tracking my calories to make sure i'm eating the right amount.

Example:
    Baked blueberry and apple oats
    Protein shake (if hungry)
    Rye sandwich with tuna, lettuce, carrot and onion with light mayo.
    0% Chobani
    Quest protein bar (no sugar/sugar alcohols)
    Peanut chicken skewers with sweet potato and steamed greens

That is just under my calorie goal + I will be exercising. I am really nervous about eating intuitvely and what I want.. I don't know why I have such issues with food. Am I the only one?
    I follow different diets all the time, just for a variety of foods...but it looks like your proposed menu would be okay
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    As long as I hit my (fairly high) protein goals, everything else is fair game. I eat "junk" whenever I want, as long as I'm between 120-150 grams of protein, and under my caloric goals (1500-1600 net a day). I have my days where all I eat or want is the bad stuff, but it's rare, and I'm able to get right back on track the next day.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do not follow any off the shelf program of either diet or exercise, but for what it's worth, here is what I do for both.
    Diet
    I strive toward the ideal of lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, low fat dairy, nuts and whole grains.
    I set calories to 3000 to account for my activity level, exercises and other variables, and am losing a half a pound per week.
    Out of the 76 lb total weight loss, half of that resulted from a 2200 calorie diet, reflecting a deficit to affect a 2 lb per week weight loss, and my last 20 lbs were at 2500 where I lost 1lb weekly. After reaching my goals, I reset, then lowered my weekly loss expectation to a half a pound. Again, I have my daily calories set at 3000.
    Exercise
    In general I do 90 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.
    I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.
    And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back
    I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, MMA type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Lost 76lbs and nearly 20% body fat - it works for me.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As far as your question about what to do when you're going to go out with friends. I'm only a month in, but I've found that if I know I'll have a big calorie day (family party or dinner out) I'll try to get at least a good 1/2 hour of cardio in that day and try not to eat back my exercise calories the day before. That way I have a good cushion to use. If you eat too little that day, you set yourself up to be too hungry and out of control when you get to the evening out.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I track calories, so I can eat what ever I want but I have guide lines that are not restrictions but must haves, daily.
    yogurt
    5 servings of fruits or vegetables.
    whole grains
    all 4 food groups.
    water
    excersise. every day at least 30 minutes...doesn't have to be together. On days I work its 3x10min
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are just maintaining, would find out what your basal metabolic burn rate is and set your net goal as 2-300 cals below that. That means your total cals with exercise factored out and planning in some exercise will help to add muscle where you want it. If you want to still lose, that make your net cals 3-600 below bmr. I have notice a big difference when I have eaten whole foods, and it is surprising how many you can fit into a reasonable diet. Fruits and veggies can add alot of fill for not that many calories, so make sure you eat at least 5-6 servings each day. If you decide to binge one day, double your exercise for 2-3 days and your weekly totals will average out. Lastly, find some exercise that you like and get used to calculating how long you have to do it to reach a given calorie burn. That way you are not guessing. P90x, insanity, and 30 day shred are all high intensity, 400-800 cals burned per hour. Even jogging is about 500-700/hour. This kind of exercise gives you alot of cal burn for your time spent, and they can give you definition in your muscles.

*Thanks for sharing! Bump this to save for later!*

Elephantbutt.gif
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I eat what I want, and work it into my calories.

^^ THIS
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I see this so much with my clients and friends - trying to stick to a restrictive diet so rarely works long-term and can leave you depressed or discouraged, sometimes even obsessed with food.

Personally, I only track calories and try to keep my protein kinda high. I don't do low-carb, low-fat (although I avoid trans fats and watch that sat. fat isn't too high) or any other kind of restrictive diet. Tracking your calories encourages you to eat nutrient dense, low-cal foods so that you can eat more in a day and keeps your portions of treats small. In my opinion this is all that is necessary and this is what I tell my clients to do and they all lose weight like this as well. I would flat-out discourage anyone to follow a diet that says you can't have tomatoes or oats (other than for allergy reasons) - in my opinion, that's ridiculous! Just my two cents.
  • Gypsybiker
    Options
    I actually started my diet in the fall, and before I started I did a DNA test. It was a mouth swab that I mailed to the company, and they then send you the results, their thinking that there are 3 body types: 1. a fat burner (one who does better on a low fat diet). 2. A carb restricter (low or healthy carbs, and healthy protiens). 3. a balanced food diet (calorie counter).

My results came back as the carb restricter. The test also told me that with moderate intensity workouts I would lose weight and if stay consistent, my chances are good of keeping it off.

So I started eating good carbs vs. bad carbs. And started working out for an average of 60 minutes 3X per week. Sometimes more.

Started seeing results, for the first time in 10 years of diets. It seems as I have gotten older (age 42) and work over-night shifts my ability to lose just isn's as easy.

Down 30 lbs since October. This summer has been rough due to different schedule with kids, etc. Just started tracking calories yesterday as I think it will help me stay on top of things better, and hopefully lose faster than 0.5 lbs per week.

The DNA test really gave me the boost and will power to start the much needed diet. Evem though my big sister laughed at me and said I wasted my money. HA! I say Who's Laughing Now! I feel great and feel so empowered to work out with weights (light) and do cardio.

Good Luck with however you do it!
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    I track calories, so I eat what I want. I have stopped, for the most part, eating white bread and rice. Instead, I eat whole grain wheat pasta, rice, and bread with plenty of vegetables and fruit. I was a huge meat eater, but now I eat a lot of protein but leaner meats. I love to cook and eat so this gives me the variety I like. Another thing I found works for me is when I have a craving for something I plan for it. I cook mostly at home but I will stop to get something maybe once a week, usually that thing I'm craving. I record everthing on MFP so I can see what's going on with my eating. It keeps me honest. I also try to exercise every day. I set an exercise goal each month so I know if I miss a day I have to make up for it. This is something I can do the rest of my life.

As others have said, listen to your body and you will find what works for you. Most importantly, find what you can live with and enjoy for the rest of your life.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I have and do ONLY track calories. I don't deprive myself and I don't cut out food groups. I also don't pressure myself to work out if I don't feel like exercising. I had to design this for long, long lifestyle changes. It's been a learning process and I have now found my 'happy place'.

You can design MFP for what suits your personality/prefernces and lifestyle, it will be personal so go with what suits you within your calorie allowance.

Best of luck xxxxx From coming out the other side, I would highly recommend MFP for weight loss. xxxx
  • chrissy28
    chrissy28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just track calories. I try to eat healthy and watch what I eat more (especially now that I'm tracking on mfp) and portion control.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat what I fancy and track calories, I do try to plan at least a day ahead but that's not too hard as I sort of rotate around my kitchen staples. Everything is open so feel free to look, though I warn you it's not prefect by any stretch of the imagination :laugh:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    If you are just maintaining, would find out what your basal metabolic burn rate is and set your net goal as 2-300 cals below that. That means your total cals with exercise factored out and planning in some exercise will help to add muscle where you want it. If you want to still lose, that make your net cals 3-600 below bmr. I have notice a big difference when I have eaten whole foods, and it is surprising how many you can fit into a reasonable diet. Fruits and veggies can add alot of fill for not that many calories, so make sure you eat at least 5-6 servings each day. If you decide to binge one day, double your exercise for 2-3 days and your weekly totals will average out. Lastly, find some exercise that you like and get used to calculating how long you have to do it to reach a given calorie burn. That way you are not guessing. P90x, insanity, and 30 day shred are all high intensity, 400-800 cals burned per hour. Even jogging is about 500-700/hour. This kind of exercise gives you alot of cal burn for your time spent, and they can give you definition in your muscles.

*Thanks for sharing! Bump this to save for later!*

Elephantbutt.gif

I wouldn't recommend following that advice. The primary reason being "If you are just maintaining, would find out what your basal metabolic burn rate is and set your net goal as 2-300 cals below that" is wrong.

----

As to the topic at hand, I key on a few variables. I generally attempt to keep my sodium below 2300, my calories around my net goal, my saturated fat intake below 10% of cals, my fiber intake high enough, and my protein intake above 10% of cals or above .9g/kg, whichever is greater.