Muscle weight???

Options
I have been busting my butt for 90 days straight plus. I heard the extra 10 pounds is muscle weight. Oddly, the last time I killed myself working out, I lost a bunch of weight, which is why I started running again and biking and now starting roller blading. I'm getting a great variety. I don't have time to work out roung the clock. I want the weight off. I don't want muscle weight. I'm getting frustrated and angry that I'm getting fat again. I will start drastic measures soon if I keep gaining. If I stop eating, I'll stop gaining.
I've tried doing this the right way and it's not working.

Tell me how to get the muscle weight to stop building and to get that stupid 10 pounds off. Please!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I have been busting my butt for 90 days straight plus. I heard the extra 10 pounds is muscle weight. Oddly, the last time I killed myself working out, I lost a bunch of weight, which is why I started running again and biking and now starting roller blading. I'm getting a great variety. I don't have time to work out roung the clock. I want the weight off. I don't want muscle weight. I'm getting frustrated and angry that I'm getting fat again. I will start drastic measures soon if I keep gaining. If I stop eating, I'll stop gaining.

Tell me how to get the muscle weight to stop building and to get that stupid 10 pounds off. Please!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are on calorie deficit, the chances of building muscle are nil. DON'T set the bar too high. The last 10lbs are usually the highest so drop your deficit to about -250 from your TDEE and go for losing 1/2 a pound a week.
    Trust when I say that "drastic" measures will usually cause drastic regain of weight once you reached goal and try to eat normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    I lost 63 pounds last year. I took a break from working out and gained 15 pounds. My fault I know. But it was so easy last time I lost weight that I am getting so mad today. Every time I try to loose 10 pounds this year, I can't. By this time after running 5 miles a day or riding the bike for 20 miles twice in a weekend or hiking for 3 hours on the sand dunes, I should have dropped something.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What did you do to lose the 63lbs?

IDEA Fitness member
  • jkw123
    jkw123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    have you tried measuring (waist, thigh, hip circumference) rather than weighing yourself? If you are building muscle, fat may be diminishing and you are slimming down- it is just not visible on the scale.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    have you tried measuring (waist, thigh, hip circumference) rather than weighing yourself? If you are building muscle, fat may be diminishing and you are slimming down- it is just not visible on the scale.

Like someone else said - you WON'T be building muscle on a calorie deficit

It's not muscle I'm afraid
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    How did you came up with that muscle weight? If you're feeling fat then what you have is definitely fat & not muscle. Because when it is muscle weight, you're body will feel tighter, more toned & less fat. Plus its nearly impossible to gain muscle when you're on a deficit & all those running, roller blading etc. won't make you build muscle either, those are endurance workouts.

EDIT: And judging by your profile pic, frankly speaking you don't look that toned either so definitely its fat. Just be more patient, its usually the last 10 pounds of fat that are very hard to lose.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP you really need to log everything you eat and drink, to be really sure that you are on a deficit.

Log absolutely everything, ensure you are at a deficit and if nothing shifts after two weeks, you need to recap.
  • biggerpix
    Options
    running, mini trampoline, eating lots of fish and veggies. Some thing I'm doing now.
  • biggerpix
    Options

Yes and there's no reason to be up instead of down.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    running, mini trampoline, eating lots of fish and veggies. Some thing I'm doing now.
    You aren't building muscle running and doing mini trampoline. Cardio doesn't build muscle, it builds endurance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't build muscle, it builds endurance.

In fact, Cardio will usually burn muscle along with the fat
  • biggerpix
    Options
    So why isn't the weight coming off? I got 5 pounds off and this morning it's back.
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When you say you "lost 5 pounds and this morning it's back", are you saying you did a workout yesterday, lost 5 pounds as a result of this workout and then were back to your normal weight the next day? Or are you saying that over the course of a couple of weeks you lost 5 pounds, then all of a sudden you gained 5 pounds overnight?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't build muscle, it builds endurance.

In fact, Cardio will usually burn muscle along with the fat

Rubbish
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    So why isn't the weight coming off? I got 5 pounds off and this morning it's back.

You can't gain 5 lbs of anything in a day, so that will be water. Or you lost 5 lbs through dehydration before. Weight isn't a fixed thing, it fluctuates constantly. Just keep doing as you are and if you burn more than you eat, eventually the weight will come off.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options

If you are on calorie deficit, the chances of building muscle are nil. DON'T set the bar too high. The last 10lbs are usually the highest so drop your deficit to about -250 from your TDEE and go for losing 1/2 a pound a week.
    Trust when I say that "drastic" measures will usually cause drastic regain of weight once you reached goal and try to eat normal.

IDEA Fitness member

If you cannot build muscle whilst in a calorie defecit then how come I can lift weights today that I could not lift two months ago? I must have some very strong fat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

If you cannot build muscle whilst in a calorie defecit then how come I can lift weights today that I could not lift two months ago? I must have some very strong fat.

Strength and building muscle are two different things.

Building muscle(aka new muscle tissue) does not happen in a deficit unless you are obese or new strength training. and then those results end after a bit.

Strength is gained because you are progressively overloading the muscle and thus making it able to do more then it was able to do before.
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your muscles become more efficient
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Strength and building muscle are two different things.

Building muscle(aka new muscle tissue) does not happen in a deficit unless you are obese or new strength training. and then those results end after a bit.

Strength is gained because you are progressively overloading the muscle and thus making it able to do more then it was able to do before.

Thanks for explaining that. I'm new to strength training. I was sure my guns had got bigger!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    OP you really need to log everything you eat and drink, to be really sure that you are on a deficit.

Log absolutely everything, ensure you are at a deficit and if nothing shifts after two weeks, you need to recap.

This. I'm sorry but your diary is horrible. For the last week you've logged maybe 1-2 things. And if that is all you are truly eating there's a problem right there. You need to be true to yourself and your body and log everything to be accountable. Until you do this you can't be sufficiently helped with your issue.