Some tips - may or may not help

Someone messaged me and asked for help with some tips as to how I met my goal (twice) and lost 60lbs (27kgs) in 6 months so I thought since I had to write it for them I may as well share some of my ....uh ... wisdom :huh:

2721700290101836663S425x425Q85.jpg2857332820101836663S425x425Q85.jpg

Everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for you but good luck in your journey ... this is what I did.

1) Set my MFP at losing 2lbs a week to start with and then every 2-3 months bring it back first to 1.5 then to 1 and finally to .5. You will know when to bring it back because you will have a couple of weeks at a constant weight.

2) Cut out all alcohol, sodas, and sweets such as doughnuts and chocolate anything high fats or sugar. Once you get things moving you can introduce them in VERY small amounts as long as they stay under your macros in MFP - I found that I have little desire to do this mostly as I don't want to spoil the results. I still eat takeaway and enjoy an occasional beer but in small amounts and only when I have earned it through a heavy gym session or a run.

3) Eat all your calories and most of your exercise calories (I usually leave 200-300 odd exercise calories as a buffer). Measure and weigh all your food .... you will always under estimate calories eaten and over estimate calories burned. Dont stress if you go over by a small amount one day every now and then -- just dont do it often.

4) Drink water .... drink lots of water .... then drink some more. I drink at least 3 litres a day and sometimes 5 or more. This helps flush sodium, makes you feel full and hydrates you.

5) Exercise .... I started out with short slow walks 1-2kms for around 20-30 minutes.... then got faster and further when I walk now I usually do around 5kms in 40-45 minutes. As I got fitter and healthier I started to run. Now I do three days of running a week, 1 day of walking.

6) Lift things .... while the walking was good to get me into a routine by itself is not a total workout plan. Join a gym or get a trainer to work out a program for you of weights. My initial program focused on thighs, butt, back and chest as well as the core and then 30 minutes of cardio to finish. Muscles help to burn fat and you will also tighten up better and avoid having saggy skin. Three days of gym a week combined with my running and walk gives me a 7 day exercise program at around 30mins to an hour a day

7) Mix it up - when my weight stopped dropping I changed the routine, added a walk, ate something totally different for breakfast ....or *gasp* went for a run instead of a walk.

8) Read everything on these boards - believe less than half of it ... and realise that even what is true and correct may not work for you. Listen to your body - take days off from exercise when you REALLY need them (not just because you are feeling lazy) - reduce your food intake on these days to stay under your calories.

9) Log everything - not just food and exercise but also record your weight and measurements. It is he weight and measurement numbers that will help to keep you motivated. Take photos - try and take them in a place and pose than you can revisit every couple of weeks/month.

10) Best of all get a group of supportive people on your MFP friendslist - log in every day and record all your food and exercise - remember it is a lifestyle change not a diet

Good luck and wishes for every success.

Replies

• Awesome motivation and tips! Thanks
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 336 Member
    Thanks for the tips!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Good tips Diver - we have a similar plan. Must be why were good friends on here hehe!!

Oh and nice tan - still got it from your holiday earlier I see!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    This is some of the best advice I've seen on these boards. Measured, well reasoned, and you've been around the block enough times to realize there's more than one way to get fit. Many of us would be well served to heed your advice.

Well done Sir!

p.s. I'm super glad you made goal and are now looking to blow so far past it! You'll be healthier and it also helps to motivate those of us that are not quite so far along.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    You have done an amazing job and thank you for the tips - good common sense stuff that is easy to forget and sometimes needs to be reinforced when there is such a deluge of highly detailed information coming at you from this and other sites/books/diets. etc

Thank you
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    These are all excellent tips gained through success. Thanks for this!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Good tips!! Congrats on your success!!!!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Thanks for all the congrats ....motivation can be hard when you go it alone. MFP is a wonderful place to find supportive people who are of a similar mind.

Just hope I can shift this next 5kgs and not disgrace myself on Sunday week when I run my first 5k.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Great common sense tips, thanks!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Great tips. After being on a diet for 60 years I think your tips are right on! Congrats on a great program and your awesome weight loss.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 751 Member
    First of all congratulations on your goal! !!!

Secondly, thanks for the great advice! !
  • diver71_au
    lynheff .... 60 years of dieting isnt a diet .... thats a lifestyle choice.
  • diver71_au
    By the way ....feel free to add me if you want
  • diver71_au
    Just been reading the boards and needed to add another point:

11) Listen to YOUR BODY .... not your friend, not strangers on a forum... YOUR body. If you are happily losing at 1400 calories why should you increase calories just because some stranger says you should. Or some random TDEE and BMR calculator gives you a figure that is different to one that is working.

Also when it comes to exercise LISTEN - if your body is telling you to take a rest day DO IT. One day off is better than sitting on the sidelines for weeks with an injury.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Thanks for the tips, I hope you don't mind that I copied them to fall back on later. Take care
  • marj972
    marj972 Posts: 30 Member
    What a great motivation, you look great. I will keep those tips in mind. Thank you for this post :)
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Good advice - great job!!
  • Great tips, thanks!!!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    bump