Peanut Butter - Bad or Good?

Options

Replies

• hellokehtty
    Options
    How could peanut butter ever be bad?! Haha!

As long as you fit it into your daily goals should be fine....just remember it's like 100 cals for one little TBSP!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    PB is chock full of yummy heart healthy goodness. As long as you're eating the natural stuff that's not infused with processed vegetable oil that is.
    Just eat it in moderation and stick within you calories...I eat it almost every day and haven't had any problems losing 40+lbs
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just switched to natural peanut butter, less salt, less sugar, still yummer especially on top of a banana.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is fat not protein, lol its both actually, all nuts all both, the contain fat and protein. Eat it , its gorgeous, just keep away from the crap kind, eat good organic without sugar, much muhc better for you.

wrong wrong - there are good fats and bad fats, PB is not a bad fat.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    PB is a fat, not protein.

False. Peanut butter is made from peanuts, which is a protein and a meat replacement. It contains omega fatty acids, which are necessary for proper cell function and just happens to be excellent brain food. So, as long as you don't eat half a jar a day, keep at it. Some other good sources of protein are cottage cheese, lean turkey and chicken, greek yogurt and kefir, and of course all other nuts and seeds. Hope this helps! Happy snacking. :)

PS: For some really great snack ideas that are high in protein, I recommend Women's Health Magazine and The Daily Bite newsletter on Web MD. I'm subscribed, and the recipes on that site look absolutely amazing!!
  • FATBOYBGONE
    FATBOYBGONE Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Man cannot live by bread alone. He must have peanut butter. Preferably crunchy Jiff.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options

False. Peanut butter is made from peanuts, which is a protein and a meat replacement. It contains omega fatty acids, which are necessary for proper cell function and just happens to be excellent brain food. So, as long as you don't eat half a jar a day, keep at it. Some other good sources of protein are cottage cheese, lean turkey and chicken, greek yogurt and kefir, and of course all other nuts and seeds. Hope this helps! Happy snacking. :)

PS: For some really great snack ideas that are high in protein, I recommend Women's Health Magazine and The Daily Bite newsletter on Web MD. I'm subscribed, and the recipes on that site look absolutely amazing!!
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Wrong

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4453/2

In 2 tbsp there are 8 grams of protein. Also carbs and fat.

If eaten in moderation, it's a good source of a number of nutrients.

Plus if a tablespoon makes you happy, you may have stronger resolve against other less nutritious fattening foods.

But it is not "a fat."

This.

Also "a fat" is a lipid. Unless you're trying to discount basic biology here by saying that peanut butter is a lipid, you are wrong. Peanut butter is not "a fat". It CONTAINS fat, certainly. And so do most sources of natural protein.

On the other hand, if you ARE claiming that peanut butter is a lipid, I'd love to see your research?
  • tmmiller05
    Options
    I used to eat this also, until I looked at the calories in the peanut butter AND the bread! One slice of bread is well over 100 calories. I have stopped eating the peanut butter and switched to a low calorie wheat bread. I don't eat red meat either. Try hummus, almonds, walnuts, and soy. But watch your serving sizes. Portobello mushrooms make a great meal alternative also.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

Has fat yes but also has 8g of protien in 2 tbs...

From Livestrong:

Peanut butter is ideal for a sandwich or as a dip because it is convenient and ready to eat. You may be pleased to learn that this tasty food can also be healthy and it is a good source of protein, fat and other essential nutrients. The serving size is 2 tbsp., or 32 g, and creamy and crunchy peanut butter have the same nutrients.

Energy and Fat
    Peanut butter has about 188 calories per serving and it is a good source of fat, with about 16 g total fat, or about 25 percent of the daily value for fat. Most of the fat in peanut butter is heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and less than 4 g are from cholesterol-raising saturated fats. Peanut butter has more than 7 g monounsaturated fat and nearly 5 g polyunsaturated fat. You should avoid peanut butter made with partially hydrogenated oils because trans fats from these oils raise levels of bad LDL cholesterol in your blood.

5 Foods That Burn Belly Fat The Ultimate Healthy Living Toolbar Get Daily Fitness Tips & More. Free www.dailyfitnesscenter.com
    Sponsored Links Protein
    The daily value for protein is 50 g, and a 2-tbsp. serving of peanut butter has about 8 g protein. Unlike the protein from animal sources such as meat and dairy, the protein in peanut butter is not a complete protein because, according to the Harvard School of Public Health, peanut butter does not have each of the amino acids you need to get from your diet. To complement the protein in peanut butter, eat other foods with protein such as vegetables, grains or animal products.

Fiber and Phytosterols
    The Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center states that people who eat nuts or peanuts may have a lower risk for developing heart disease. Peanut butter has 1.9 g fiber, which is heart-healthy because it may reduce your cholesterol levels. Dietary fiber also slows down digestion, which helps your body regulate blood sugar and may help reduce your risk for Type 2 diabetes. Phytosterols are compounds in plants that may help you lower your cholesterol levels, and a serving of peanut butter has about 33 mg of phytosterols.

Vitamins and Minerals
    Folate is an essential vitamin for lowering blood levels of heart-unhealthy homocysteine, and peanut butter has about 24 mcg of folate. It has almost 3 mg of vitamin E, an antioxidant vitamin that promotes heart health. Diets high in potassium and low in sodium may reduce your risk of developing hypertension, and peanut butter is a natural source of potassium, with 208 mg per serving. Regular peanut butter has 147 mg sodium. If you want to reduce your sodium intake, you can choose one that has no added salt.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/346462-is-peanut-butter-a-good-source-of-protein-fat-etc/#ixzz1zktlVrsH
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i find measured PB to be great. here's some other proteins you can try:

-beans
    -tempeh or tofu
    -hummus (esp. homemade)
    -veggie "meat" slices (processed, but high in protein)
    -tahini
  • shoobz
    Options

Well that's just full-on wrong...

Ha ha...oooooooooooooookay!

How very nice of you to edit that extremely rude comment, which was completely against the spirit of this forum. Pity you didn't do it before I saw it, though. I bet you're a nice person to be around.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter (if all natural as u say) wouldn't hinder weight loss depending on quantity and frequency, chances are it's the bread that has more of an affect on prevent fat loss. Try Pb on plain rice cakes instead before a workout.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options

BAM.

It's okay in moderation. but it's more fat than anything. A handful of almonds are better for you in my opinion than peanut butter. As for all the peanut butter taste with minimum fat and calories.. but still protein. Try PB2 - Amazon.com.
    ^^ this...i dont eat it because i love it and can eat it by the spoonfull...so no longer bothering, if i dont buy it, i dont miss it, it ruins my weight loss for the pure fact i ate too much, in moderation it will be ok.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    Peanut butter is good for you it is a god source of protein and its good fat not bad fat
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow, so this is a lot about PB. As for fat not a protein....don't make the world dumber people....I agree with the lady, it's both. And not all fats are bad. Plus you need fat. I eat a PBJ everyday for lunch on WW. So good. Just make sure you get a good PB, not one that is super processed and junk. Check out Adams...the one you have to refrigerate. The ingredient list has ONE item...Peanuts. I wish the whole world was this simple and honest.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's been said before many times - there's no such thing as good or bad foods.

^^^ this in my opinion is incorrect. There are plenty of "bad" foods..and tons of "good" foods!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^. The trade off for protein Vs fat and calories, you might as well eat peanut M&m's...but sure, if you like peanut butter and enjoy it, then why not eat it? But it would be more ethan a little amiss to fool yourself into thinking it's a 'healthy' food.
  • shoobz
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^. The trade off for protein Vs fat and calories, you might as well eat peanut M&m's.

Or, y'know...peanuts...
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    PB on seeded gluten free bread with half a sliced banana is one of my favourite post-cycling snacks.

There's nothing wrong with any particular food, in moderation, of course if you eat too much of most things then you could be storing up problems.