Men and Women are so different

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
***Disclaimer -- This information is based solely on the observations of Road Dog. Men should not attempt to discuss this with the women in their life.

I guess my brain is not hardwired to understand how women shop. I’m married. Have three daughters, 2 granddaughters, 3 sisters-in-law, 2 sisters. I feel qualified to address the issue.

Here’s how women shop.
Are they out looking for something they need? Nope. Between my wife and daughters alone, they have enough shoes between them to open their own high-end shoe store. Are they wearing tattered clothes to work every day? Nope.I had to build a closet downstairs for MY clothing, because my wife takes up the Master Bedroom closet, the guest bedroom closet, and, not that my youngest is off to college, my wife has started moving clothes into her old closet.
So what’s the deal with shopping? It ain’t need.
And the manner in which they shop? I don’t ask, but here’s what I might hear as they ready for shopping safari:
“They’re having a sale at…..”
“I’ve got an additional 30% off coupon.”
“I have an additional 20% off my last receipt is I use it by….”
Off they go. They’re also armed with a couple “Buy One Get One” coupon as well. There’s a pot of coffee on the counter, but they just got their Gold Card from Starbucks, so that’s their first stop. Lunch somewhere in the middle of the shopping spree is a given.

Now, they may not even have an item to purchase in mind, but that coupon expires by the end of the week and letting it expire unused is unheard of.
They’re gone all day. Here’s where I’m lost, because I don’t ask what they’ve done while they are out. But, they might come back with 3 bags, several items, and, they want to show every single one to me. I get a rundown on the reason they bought these particular items:
“This matches my magenta blouse.”
“I needed these shoes for so and so’s retirement party.”
“You love the way I look in the red one, so I got a matching blue one.”
I haven’t even scratched the surface.
Oh. They don’t tell you how much they spent. Not that I care. What they tell you is how much they saved:
“Combined a 1 day sale item with my BOGO and the 20% coupon. Saved $17.00”

It’s not over either. Several of the items are going back next week to be exchanged and/or credited to their account. Thus allowing for the cycle to begin again.

Here’s how this man shops.
I need a black shirt. First, I go on-line and Google “Black Shirts”. Most of the time, this does it. I order a black shirt on the Internet.
Let’s say I can’t find a black shirt on line. Highly unlikely, but it happens. I head to a store that sells black shirts. Park, Go in. Go straight to the black shirt rack. Now…if I don’t know where the black shirt rack is, I don’t go up and down every aisle looking for it. I look for the sales person and ask for the directions. I’m now at the black shirt rack. I find one very quickly. If I really like it, I buy several, so I don’t have to go through this again anytime soon. I rarely buy any other item except the black shirt. If I happen to buy something on impulse, it’s because it is on the most direct route from the black shirt rack to the cash register. Even then, it’s unlikely, unless there is some cute, busty clerk in a low cut top waving me over.
I pay for my purchase and go home. No, I don’t want a store credit card, so I can save 20% on my next purchase. No, I don’t want to sign up for the preferred customer’s club. No, I don’t have a coupon.

If, for some reason, I get home and decide in a few days I don’t really like it, do I take it back? Nope. I’ll be polishing my motorcycle with it.

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Oh. They don’t tell you how much they spent. Not that I care. What they tell you is how much they saved:
    “Combined a 1 day sale item with my BOGO and the 20% coupon. Saved $17.00”

I am so guilty of the above quote. :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    LMAO! This is very, very true right down to showing you the clothes they buy. I do this all. the. time!

I've gone to Walmart with my husband and he went off to look at whatever, comes back and I've got a cart filled with stuff: clothes, make up, hair stuff, you name it. He was like "I left you alone for ten minutes! WTF?!"

Women can rationalize any purchase. It's something we're born with.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You are so right! LOL!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm such a guy when it comes to shopping.

if i can't get it online, i probably don't need it.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    lol, that was brilliant. Maybe I shouldn't be showing father all my purchases!

Is this a guy thing? My Father is completely content with wearing clothes that are 20 years old. He doesn't see any difference between his "good" clothes and work clothes. He owns shoes for a millenia.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Apparently this is one reason my husband tells me I am SO DIFFERENT from most women. Per your example, I totally shop like a guy. And then only when I'm forced to because my 25+ year old clothes have finally worn out. I hate clothes shopping. Hate it. Shoe shopping is even worse.

If I had oodles of money I would gladly pay someone like Stacey or Clinton to take my measurements and just go shop for me.

Don't despair, guys - there ARE a few of us out there!! :D
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I love this post...it is so true! And I think it could be summed up as...women go shopping just because, men go shopping if the absolutely have to, they get exactly what they came for and leave...
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Clothing - I hate shopping for clothing. I think I've been twice in 2 months for things like graduation for my little sister and the fact my jeans were no longer 'work acceptable' because I wear my jeans out from use...Argh...

Now, you send me into a craft store, I am so sorry.....
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Very well said!! :flowerforyou:
    Although I was like that when I was younger, the older I get the more I start shopping like a man. :laugh:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE shopping. So I can't really relate. I need something. I go get it... and try to do so as quickly as possible. Spending money isn't my idea of a good time.

Unless it's on running or martial arts gear. LOL!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Is this a guy thing? My Father is completely content with wearing clothes that are 20 years old. He doesn't see any difference between his "good" clothes and work clothes. He owns shoes for a millenia.

Of course you should show him. He doesn't necessarily care about your purchases, but he cares that you are sharing with him.

Oh and the shoes? What\'s with that? I need a pair of flip flops for around the house. A pair of dress shoes that I only wear to Weddings and Funerals. Motorcycle Boots. 2 pair of Tennies. 1 for wearing around the house and 1 for formal occassions.
    And 3 pairs of soccer shoes. Outdoor, Indoor, Special Turf .
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I love this post...it is so true! And I think it could be summed up as...women go shopping just because, men go shopping if the absolutely have to, they get exactly what they came for and leave...

Hmmm, well, so far several of us women disagree with you on that! I think it is a stereotype that doesn't work for a lot of women.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    winner.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options

Of course you should show him. He doesn't necessarily care about your purchases, but he cares that you are sharing with him.

Oh and the shoes? What\'s with that? I need a pair of flip flops for around the house. A pair of dress shoes that I only wear to Weddings and Funerals. Motorcycle Boots. 2 pair of Tennies. 1 for wearing around the house and 1 for formal occassions.
    And 3 pairs of soccer shoes. Outdoor, Indoor, Special Turf .

I never thought of it that way. ::)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Very well said!! :flowerforyou:
    Although I was like that when I was younger, the older I get the more I start shopping like a man. :laugh:

Same here. And I don't throw out old clothes until they start developing holes in embarrassing places!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    LOL. I agree with your statement, but I am the "exception to the rule". I rarely shop and If I do, I go to get one specific thing.
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Hmmm, well, so far several of us women disagree with you on that! I think it is a stereotype that doesn't work for a lot of women.

I will tell you this is the first I have ever heard of a woman NOT liking to just go to the mall ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    +1
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I totally dont know these women.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Clothing - I hate shopping for clothing. I think I've been twice in 2 months for things like graduation for my little sister and the fact my jeans were no longer 'work acceptable' because I wear my jeans out from use...Argh...

Now, you send me into a craft store, I am so sorry.....

This is so me!

I get most of my clothes off Ebay, 'cause I hate shopping so much.

But fabric & books thats a whole other story.:laugh: