Heat and Calories

Options
EEHH... so I have a dilema. I know you are not suppose to eat to FEW calories, but it is ungodly hot here and it makes me lose my appetite, like i feel sick after eating.
I have been doing intense work outs so I know I need nutrition.
I can eat fruit and feel okay. but in order to get up to a good amount of calories I have to eat a TON of fruit and like I said I am NOOOOT at all hungry.

What should I do?

Replies

• rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How about stuff that's high in calories? Like organic peanut butter, just 2 spoonfulls of that will be more than a piece of fruit I'm sure!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some calories (smoothies, juice, protein shakes, etc) instead.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    smoothies
    milk, yogurt, fruits, ice cube and if you have some protein powder
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Stick with a crap load of fruits and veggies... try snacks like nuts and almonds, unsalted... I know its hot but you gotta eat... Healthy snacky stuff might be easier.
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    i have the same problem. what ive been doing is eating colder foods like salads and cereal.. i know its hard to meet nutrients but i feel so sick after eating real food.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry - eat.
    if you're not - don't.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    from what I have read on other posts, try to net around 1200 calories. If you like greek yogurt, it is an excellent source of protein. A good friend of mine recommended dipping fresh strawberries in yogurt and freezing. She said it's delicious! I need to try it yet, but it's another option!

It's been really hot and steamy here as well...some days are better for me than others!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Make sure you are properly hydrated. Not drinking enough while it's very hot can make me sick and feel like I don't want to eat. I would try eating cold dishes: salads, cold soups, pasta salad, etc.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Higher calorie foods will do you some good. You can have liquid calories as well. Opt for sweet tea or full calorie drinks. Have some juice or lemonade.
    Popsicles always make me feel better when it's hot out... Have some popsicles!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    EEHH... so I have a dilema. I know you are not suppose to eat to FEW calories, but it is ungodly hot here and it makes me lose my appetite, like i feel sick after eating.
    I have been doing intense work outs so I know I need nutrition.
    I can eat fruit and feel okay. but in order to get up to a good amount of calories I have to eat a TON of fruit and like I said I am NOOOOT at all hungry.

What should I do?
    drink chocolate milk. Eat peanut butter and olive oil.....
  • rockyvernen
    Options
    I wish I had that problem its hot here too.I eat salads and cold sandwiches. add a ton of dressing it will up the calories . If you do not eat enough your body goes into starvation mode
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    It's really hot here too, and during the day I don't eat much. I eat more in the late afternoon to evening because I can tolerate food a little bit better because it's cooler. I eat calorie dense food so I'm not trying to consume an entire plate of food. I also drink protein shakes with some other stuff thrown in to make it more complete. I workout pretty intensely also, so I know where you're coming from. It's odd because it's cool enough for me to work out, but not cool enough for me to feel hungry.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    a) When it's hot, cut back on the workouts a bit. Don't stop, but take it easy. Working out increases your internal temp. If the ambient temperature is really high, your body won't be able to cool itself down so easily. You'll risk various acute health issues if you push yourself too hard in the extreme heat. Also, when you're working out (cardio, at least), drink at least 1L of fluid every hour. If it's super hot, aim for 1.5L. It may sound like a lot, and it may be hard to do, but your body will thank you.

b) Eat softer foods. Breads, peanut butter, juicy fruit (not the candy), etc. They'll go down easier when your body is stressed because they don't require as much work to get down. they also digest easier.

c) Drink lots of fluids! Especially sport drinks (like Gatorade) if you've been working out at all. If you haven't worked out for a few hours, switch to something lower in calories/sugars.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My go to items in hot weather are smoothies, protein shakes, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs (I make a dozen at a time and then pop them back into the carton), and grilled chicken that has been chilled and put on top of a salad.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    ok... feel so much better that i'm not the only one!!!
  • cjvidito
    cjvidito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How about making a nice cold shake..some Greek Yogurt low fat is high in protein . Add banana or cantaloupe for potassium, any other fruit that you like
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    A yummy, refreshing protein shake?

Berries, ice, cottage cheese, protein powder, water or milk, touch of stevia (or whatever sweetener you like)... whizzed up to smooth deliciousness.
  • Dot1971
    Dot1971 Posts: 3
    Options
    You could always drink a protein shake and maybe try eating vegetables like celery or carrots. you can do celery with peanut butter to get your protein
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I totally get this because it's REALLY hot here, too! Yogurt smoothies are refreshing and can contain lots of protein and other good stuff (like vitamins and antioxidants from, say, blueberries and blackberries).

If you're not eating a lot of volume overall, you can make up the calories with calorie-dense foods. I agree with the suggestions of peanut butter. It can be easily made at home. An old high school friend of mine has a food blog with a great, easy recipe. Plus, peanuts are cheap, so you can have natural peanut butter (or organic, if you like) without spending a lot! http://sarahbearclaw.com/blog/?p=2060 is the link to the recipe.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy some peanuts to make peanut butter to help me get all my calories in. I've been running low on calories for a couple of weeks now, which isn't good for anybody!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Make avocados your new best friend. They are delicious, healthy, and high in calories. I put avocado in nearly everything these days.