Need Tips for Maintenance

Options
If anyone had told me last February that I would be at my goal weight by December, I would not have believed them! However, now I'm scared. It has been a lot of hard work, and at 48 I'm tired of yo-yo dieting. I did it right this time with exercise and healthier food choices and portion control. I want to stay this way! I've tried to instill in myself these past nine months that this is a lifestyle change - NOT a diet. I have dieted successfully in the past but always gained back what I lost - and more. I want this time to be different. Any advice for maintenance - especially from those of you who have maintained successfully for a long period - would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good Job. As you have been so successful doing what you did last 9 month I wouldn't change anything, with the exception that you should increase your calories to maintenance level.
  • Bride092909
    Options
    WOW- GOOD JOB!!
    Keep at it, obviously it's working :)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]98244.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Bump up to 2,000 calories a day, keep chugging water, and keep making the awesome choices you have made to transform into phenomenal you!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Move up to your maintenance calories slowly. If you were down 1000 calories a day bump it to an 800 calorie deficit for a week and then add another couple of hundred for a week until you get to your maintenance calories. Don't bump it up all at once. Keep with your exercise and good choices in eating.

Remember, if you have a bad day, make up for it with a few good days. You have shown that you know how this works.

Congrats on hitting the goal weight!
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I think I'm just feeling insecure. I have given my grown daughter the green light to say whatever is necessary if she thinks I'm digressing. She is a bit of a pit bull when it comes to saying what's on her mind, so I'm hoping my willpower and her honesty will keep me going. I've been thinking about all the holiday treats I've always baked in the past, and to be honest, they don't even appeal to me at this point. Good luck to all of you during this month of overindulgence!