I have had it!

Options
I feel like giving up and just being fat. My husband doesn't care, he thinks that I stress myself too much about my diet and exercise. I work out 5-6 days a week, hardly go over my daily calories and I am barely losing. I just wonder if this is even worth it anymore. People all around me eat whatever they want, some are fat, some are not. I just want to throw in the towel, I don't even know why I am doing this!

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Because you want to be healthy and feel good about yourself. I have lost only ! pound. But,,,,I AM NOT GIVING UP. Stay focused on your goal. We can do this together!!!
  • michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    You can't throw in the towel! Don't worry about the scale. You could be gaining muscle which is heavier than fat. Start measuring yourself weekly to see the results. Give yourself a break, it didn't take a week to add weight and it won't take that long to get it off. Be patient, you can do this. :) Add me for support if you like!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! If that's what makes YOU happy, then by all means continue! There's no sense at throwing in the towel just because you're not getting support. Besides, you can get it here instead! There are people here that can help motivate you and guide you in achieving your goals. That's what this site is about.........
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the weight loss as on how you feel. Do you have more energy now? Are you having fun working out? Do you feel stronger? There are so many other benefits to this lifestyle than just weight loss. NSVs (Non-scale victories) are some of the best benefits of eating right and exercising. So set some of those for yourself. Maybe you can train for a 5K or mud race, or maybe you want to feel good in skinny jeans? Something that's important to make you feel happy. Don't quit, you've got incredible drive, keep it up. If for no other reason, keep it up so you can stay healthy:]
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I feel the same way most days. Sometimes I don't even want to get up in the morning to go to the gym before work because I think, "what's the use? I'm not losing anything".
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary doesn't really show anything to be concerned about in terms of your eating. You have carb-heavy days and protein-heavy days but overall they appear to balance out on average, mostly. You're certainly doing better than I am! :wink:

You're seven pounds from your goal. What do you have your pace set at? If it's more than .5 pounds a week, your expectations may be too high for what few pounds you have to lose. But you may find that the caloric increase in lowering your goal also allows you to support better workouts, thereby losing weight faster.

I don't know how much lifting you have incorporated in your regimen, but if you are a cardio bunny like me, I'd add some lifting in to that to maintain/build a little lean muscle mass. You're so close to ideal weight (assuming you've set your goal at something inside a good BMI range) that you should really be focusing more on body composition now, and not weight. That could mean upping your proteins and starting to do a little moderate to heavy lifting. You won't bulk up, but you'll find that your body gets more firm and toned, and the same weight starts to look a lot more awesome (and the lower body fat percentage means you are a lot healthier).
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

1. How much weight do you need to lose? (i.e., Are you within 20 lbs. of your goal?)
    2. What "type" of calories are you consuming? (Contrary to popular belief, all calories are NOT created equal.)
    3. How much cardio are you doing each day?
    4. Are you drinking enough water?
    5. Are you getting enough fiber?

Don't give up...CHANGE IT UP. I have 18 lbs that I NEED to lose, 28 that I WANT to lose. So, my weight loss is going to be relatively slow. The less you have to lose, the longer it takes. It's times like these we need the most support. DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I am at 127.5, I want to be 120. I am 5'0", I am in my "healthy" bmi range but at the very top end! I would like to be more in the middle so that's why I picked 120.

Due to convenience and timing and working, I typically will eat a lean cuisine at lunch with some fruit and some sort of carb (fiber one bar or cinnamon crisps)

I am a big processed food person. I am also in the process of moving so must of my stuff is packed. My husband had gastric bypass and his eating is not healthy but he says he can't eat chicken, steak, etc or he will get sick. I am not sure if that is true but that's what he says, typically he will eat protein bars, cereal, some fish if it is breaded, etc. Very limited so that makes it very hard to prepare anything!

You all are right, I need to rely more on the support I have here at MFP, not in the outside world.

I feel better!
  • dcaf1962
    dcaf1962 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have read all the comments to your statement, and they are all right. I have been on this program since June 25th and I have only lost ONE pound. However I know I have lost a few inches and I feel much better since I cut out sweets (especially chocolate). i only want to loose 10 to 12 pounds more, but the last pounds are extreemely hard to loose. As one answer read, start switching it up in your exercise. Dont do the same routine every day. Start incorporating some weights in your routine, and if you do not have weights, do push ups, sit ups and squats. Find a pair of pants that are really tight and try them on again after a week of changed exercises. You will notice that the pants fit, but that the scale might not have changed at all. I could go on and on, but I am sure you get the drift. Stay with it. You can do it!

If you need more support feel free to add me as a friend
  • bbturbofiregirl
    Options
    Don't EVER give up on YOURSELF. You are worth all your EFFORTS!:smile:
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First of all.....you are not fat, you look amazing.

Second.....just a suggestion after looking at you diary. Try to raise your protein intake to 1g of protein per 1 lb of lbm. If you want to be 120 lbs, try to get 120 grams of protein in a day. And take it easy on the processed foods and lower your carb intake a bit. I know its hard when you have a busy schedule, but you feel so much better when eating clean food.

You are so close to your goal, don't give up. Don't get stressed out about what the scale says. Feel free to add me if you need some extra support.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You only had 15lbs to lose and you've already lost 8 of them. Looking at your profile pic you are already at a very reasonable weight. It sounds to me like you may need to reconsider your relationship with your own body.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    First, let me echo everyone else: You look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! That being said, I know what it feels like when you have a goal you want to reach.

I used to be a HUGE fan of Lean Cuisines, Weight Watchers and Healthy Choice. But, you REEEEEEAAALLLLY have to watch out for the sodium in those products.

This is what I do:

I make a vat of steamed veggies and a couple of packages of boneless, skinless chicken (breast and thighs) and any kind of fish fillets (Catfish, Flounder, Swai). There's also this rice dish I concocted that is delicious: rice, red, green and yellow bell peppers, onions (not a lot), and pineapple cubes. One half-cup serving equals 108 calories, and no fat.

I cook all of this at one time, and I have lunch and dinner prepared for at least 5 days. No processed food, I control the sodium, and I still have the convenience of pre-planned/prepared meals. AND it's cheaper. :o)

Try laying off the Lean Cuisines for a while, and prepare your own meals. Review your daily summary to evaluate whether you're exceeding your sodium intake.

Stick with it--you CAN do it!!!
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    thanks all, I feel so much better!!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about the processed foods. They are quick and cheap. See if you can replace those with more veggies. What about the pouches of salmon for protein?

Also, maybe it would help to educate yourself more on the foods that can be eaten by someone with gastric bypass. There are a plethora of forums out there. I googled and found several right up front. I bet they can tell you a thing or two. From what I understand, if one thinks they cannot eat healthy with gastric bypass, the surgery is not going to be a life long solution for them.

You have gotten this far, just keep your chin up!
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone else has said, you do look very good! This weight stuff is hard work, I wouldn't have said for one moment that you're "fat"! But it is very frustrating when those last few pounds won't go. Be persistent, it'll come - don't overstress though, that's a sure-fire way to go back to old bad habits (trust me, I know!)

:laugh:
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It sure can be fusterating and discouraging. It took me a long time to lose, and now I have hit a wall and have not beenable to lose for a while... But Im not giving up, Im just going to push harder... You can do this! :)
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure staying fat is the best option.

Look, if you're going to be miserable anyway, might as well pick the option that will benefit you in the long run. That's not choosing to stay fat, btw.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing everything right! Just remember that if you give up, you will only undo all your hard work. You're almost there. Just be persistent. Remember it is a lifestyle, so you can't just give it up. Best of luck!
  • jmjm55077
    jmjm55077 Posts: 43
    Options
    It's hard and discouraging at times but it's not about being thin or fat..it's about being healthy, happy, and in control of yourself...Stop concentrating on the scale and start looking for ways to be more healthy like fun family activities (hiking, biking, boating, dancing)...eat new and fun foods that are high protein and low sugars/carbs like greek yogart, organgic foods and locally grown food from farmers markets.

It's more about a lifestyle change. Be the change you want.