Curves

Options
Does anyone go to Curves or heard anything about it? Is it a good place, good work out etc. What do you think about it?

Im looking into maybe joining it.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I did Curves several years ago. It's basically a big room with a circle of various machines and cardio stations between them. You use a machine for 30 secs. (about 12 reps), then switch to the step for 30 sec where you can dance, jog, whatever, and then switch again. The machines are hydraulic, so however hard you push, they resist to that extent. It's a really neat system. Once around is a little less than 30 min. The music is all remixed and sometimes a little cheesy. From what I saw it was an older adult crowd. They measure/weigh you once a month which is a nice feature you don't get most places. I saw a lot of improvement and supplemented it with biking everywhere (had no car LOL). I prefer a gym but I did enjoy the supportive atmosphere and how simple the workout was.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Is it effective?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: Joining Curves has absolutely SAVED MY LIFE!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! You do only get out of it what you put into it, and I do walk almost every evening. The friendship and support of the other members is Priceless!!!

Walking into Curves back in March of this year was the best decision I have made in a Long, Long time!
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    I went for about 3 months a couple of years ago, but we live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and our Curves closed down due to lack of business. It was really effective for the time I did go, and I enjoyed it a lot. For the time it was here, there were quite a few women in town who were really successful. They should let you have a free visit or two so you can try it out.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Im thinking I may. Im a college student so I get great discounts and was thinking a half hour isnt a lot at all and at least its some exercise more than what im getting now.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance it may pay at least part of the fee at Curves.

There is group on here called Curves For Women, you might check them out too.

:love: Did I mention, I LOVE Curves:laugh:
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Curves was REALLY effective for me when I was going. You DO have to make the commitment and go, but I joined with a friend, and we're both very competetive, so it worked well. I think I lost 4 inches around my waist in the first month I was there - I think I lost 9 inches around my whole body the first 2 months. IT WORKS (if you work it). I only wish the ones in my area were open later. I transferred jobs, and couldn't keep my membership, as they close before I'm off from work, and I'm not able to go in the mornings- childcare issues. I liked the simplicity of it, the drawbacks - it's not a regular gym, so you won't have a pool, and other "classes," but honestly, I wasn't using any of that stuff when I had it available to me (or at least not often enough to know I was "missing" out on anything).
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I do Curves as well as run & walking.
    What's most effective for me is the when I track my calorie intake.

Curves is really effective for some. For example at the location I attend, there's a woman who lost 60+ lbs since Jan 09.

If you receive a student discount and feel you can committ to 3x a week/30 minutes then go for it.....

Best of luck.
    b
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I hated curves, but I'll tell you why so you can make an informed decision. I cannot speak of it's effectiveness because that was before I found MFP and watched my calories and weighed myself regularily. That being said, yes, the workout is simple but it gets very boring in my opinion. It's all resistance, the only cardio you get is the running/jumping jacks/dancing in place you do on the stations between the machines. I can't imagine one time around would burn much more than 150 calories, but that's just my guess.

The people working there, to my knowledge, have virtually no fitness experience or nutrition knowledge. When I signed up they made my goal weight what my BMI says, which I will NEVER have a healthy BMI, it's just not possible, I would be sick.

There is nothing else to do except go in the rotation of machines, so if you get bored easily, or want to change up your routine to shock your body or whatever, you can't. At the location I went to, there was only one small (one toilet) bathroom, and none of them have lockerrooms or anything, just a small changing room. Any nutritional classes you want to take are extra and there are not aerobic classes or anything.

I found their hours to be pretty limiting (open at 7 or 8, close at 7 or 8 or something like that) and I was told if I signed up for a year I could use any location. Only later did they tell me you needed little hand written passes that expire after a month to go to another location. So I couldn't even have any extra on hand because they usually expired first.

The worst part was that you get all that (or only that) for 30 bucks a month, though this was like 3 or 4 years ago so it's probably more now. To me that just wasn't worth it for the little that you get. If you don't think you need a super pricey huge gym like lifetime, see if there are any Fitness 19's or Planet Fitness in your area. I got to fitness 19 and I think it's great. True it only has a public bathroom (but three toilets, yay!) and changing rooms, but they have every cardio, resistance and free weights you could need and I only pay $10/month. They don't have additional classes either but they have personal trainers. If your concerned about the co-ed atmosphere, don't be. Sure I notice a few guys looking sometimes (but it's a good feeling) but for the most part people mind their own business and work out. There are young girls, there are old men, there are people in full workout garb, there are people working out in jeans.....no gym is like the people on the commercials. Just take a friend the first time and after that you should be fine.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Hmm I never thought of that. Im looking for more muscle based work outs. I will try it out. Thanks all! :D
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I hated curves, but I'll tell you why so you can make an informed decision. I cannot speak of it's effectiveness because that was before I found MFP and watched my calories and weighed myself regularily. That being said, yes, the workout is simple but it gets very boring in my opinion. It's all resistance, the only cardio you get is the running/jumping jacks/dancing in place you do on the stations between the machines. I can't imagine one time around would burn much more than 150 calories, but that's just my guess.

The people working there, to my knowledge, have virtually no fitness experience or nutrition knowledge. When I signed up they made my goal weight what my BMI says, which I will NEVER have a healthy BMI, it's just not possible, I would be sick.

There is nothing else to do except go in the rotation of machines, so if you get bored easily, or want to change up your routine to shock your body or whatever, you can't. At the location I went to, there was only one small (one toilet) bathroom, and none of them have lockerrooms or anything, just a small changing room. Any nutritional classes you want to take are extra and there are not aerobic classes or anything.

I found their hours to be pretty limiting (open at 7 or 8, close at 7 or 8 or something like that) and I was told if I signed up for a year I could use any location. Only later did they tell me you needed little hand written passes that expire after a month to go to another location. So I couldn't even have any extra on hand because they usually expired first.

The worst part was that you get all that (or only that) for 30 bucks a month, though this was like 3 or 4 years ago so it's probably more now. To me that just wasn't worth it for the little that you get. If you don't think you need a super pricey huge gym like lifetime, see if there are any Fitness 19's or Planet Fitness in your area. I got to fitness 19 and I think it's great. True it only has a public bathroom (but three toilets, yay!) and changing rooms, but they have every cardio, resistance and free weights you could need and I only pay $10/month. They don't have additional classes either but they have personal trainers. If your concerned about the co-ed atmosphere, don't be. Sure I notice a few guys looking sometimes (but it's a good feeling) but for the most part people mind their own business and work out. There are young girls, there are old men, there are people in full workout garb, there are people working out in jeans.....no gym is like the people on the commercials. Just take a friend the first time and after that you should be fine.

Unfortunately I agree. I used to work at Curves and we had little to no training in fitness or nutrition. I will also tell you that the longer you do the program the less effective it is. Your body gets used to the workout thats why we urged our members to add walking or other exercises to their routines if they felt the were not losing anymore. We were mostly taught how to answer common questions and the training lasted two days and was mostly scripts we had to learn about how to sell the memberships. I did lose weight there but I worked at a "gym" and was completely clueless about fitness because I had little training.
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I loved curves, but I only went once for a trial membership (due to scheduling conflicts). They always offer a free trial so you can see what it's all about. I loved that I was the only one there when I went (but I also went that particular day around 3, so most people were still at work). It was the perfect workout for me because I don't like working out. I could have easily have committed to 30 min/3x week at Curves. I also liked that it's a "gym" for women. A coworker of mine did the Curves routine (and virtually nothing else) and lost inches and weight. Since I only went to the trial session, I can't speak of the effectiveness for me though.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Unfortunately I agree. I used to work at Curves and we had little to no training in fitness or nutrition. I will also tell you that the longer you do the program the less effective it is. Your body gets used to the workout thats why we urged our members to add walking or other exercises to their routines if they felt the were not losing anymore. We were mostly taught how to answer common questions and the training lasted two days and was mostly scripts we had to learn about how to sell the memberships. I did lose weight there but I worked at a "gym" and was completely clueless about fitness because I had little training.

I dont need the training and advice, I just want the work out... But I was thinking about how my body would get used to the same routine over and over... Would it really? Or would I just have to work out harder after a while?
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    The problem with Curves is that the equipments resistance is pre set and non adjustible. If you get to where you are pushing the machine as far it will go thats it there are no other levels. If you are new to working out it is a great start but if you are looking to really tone there are better programs out there. I lost a good bit of weight there but I had saggy skin and little muscle tone. When I quit I started doning weight lifting and cardio and now I actually have deffinition.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I think different work outs are for different people. I did curves when I was in high school. I felt awkward because there were a bunch of older ladies in there. But if its something you want to do do it. Any kind of work out is better than no work out at all. Just commit to it.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    IF the Curves you're going to is doing it right, they are supposed to switch the machines around every quarter or so, and they also add in machines, and take some out, and you go a different direction (one way clockwise through the machines, and one day counterclockwise) so that it DOES mix it up a little. I enjoyed it, and while I was there I lost. The hours conflict with my work hours, so I'm not able to go. You can make it work for you, and there are a lot of gyms now that add in a circuit training program. If you're a student, you may have access to a student gym - I know my sister-in-law did that, and as she was a student, it was MUCH cheaper to go there, and they had a circuit training program (when she went it was called Fast Fit).