Peanut Butter - Bad or Good?

Options

Replies

• kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I could never give up my peanut butter... nom nom nom

I totally agree! But, that said, I actually do measure it out now and have drastically cut down on it!
  • Jeremyshadbolt
    Options
    PB is a fat, not protein.

False. Peanut butter is made from peanuts, which is a protein and a meat replacement. It contains omega fatty acids, which are necessary for proper cell function and just happens to be excellent brain food. So, as long as you don't eat half a jar a day, keep at it. Some other good sources of protein are cottage cheese, lean turkey and chicken, greek yogurt and kefir, and of course all other nuts and seeds. Hope this helps! Happy snacking. :)

PS: For some really great snack ideas that are high in protein, I recommend Women's Health Magazine and The Daily Bite newsletter on Web MD. I'm subscribed, and the recipes on that site look absolutely amazing!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Moderation is key with anything, if your lathering up your fruits and veggies with peanut butter then yeah it's going to have a negative toll. On the other hand if you have about a tbsp on your whole grain toast it's doing more good than bad.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of peanut butter, and I don't watch my fat much at all (except to watch it go in the red almost every day). I [generally] follow my caloric guideline, eat back [most, sometimes all or more] of my exercise calories, and feel great...

It is only a slight amount of protein in comparison to things like chicken, but the peanut butter (or any nut butter) has minerals that are also provided-regardless of the amount of fat. They provide manganese, tryptophan, B3, copper, and folate--without them having to be synthesized into some vitamin caplet that may or may not even be broken up and used by your body...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

7g of fat
    4g of protein per tablespoon.

It does have protein, mainly because it contain nuts.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat it every morning on whole wheat toast with a bottle of water. ,must be okay because I've lost 16 pounds this month, Its how I start my day!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    Here is a really good read on peanuts. :)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=101
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It seems like this thread is mostly about looking for a source of protein and not eating meat.

Why not just eat legumes? Great source of protein and fiber.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^. The trade off for protein Vs fat and calories, you might as well eat peanut M&m's...but sure, if you like peanut butter and enjoy it, then why not eat it? But it would be more ethan a little amiss to fool yourself into thinking it's a 'healthy' food.

NOT this.

I am surprised that common sense is not prevalent on these forums some of the time.

Peanut butter DOES contain protein, this is because peanut butter actually contain peanuts, which are protein.

Healthy food? Define healthy.

Personally, I do not touch peanut butter, I find it far too moreish and once I start, I crave more of it.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    GOOD
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There is minimal protein in PB. Not enough to make it worth while at all.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    And 4g of protein per 90 calories is not enough to be a worthwhile protein source.

Eat it if you want, especially if you are lacking in calories, but don't pretend you are doing it for health reasons. It contains a lot of fat.

Personally it gives me hives and asthma so I'm not touching it with a bargepole.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    There is minimal protein in PB. Not enough to make it worth while at all.

Perhaps not enough to consider it a sole source of protein... but when considering all the other things that are IN peanut butter, it IS worthwhile.

It has antioxidants comparable to fruits, along with the minerals listed in my previous post, plus monounsaturated fats, etc.

It's more worthwhile than intentionally adding olive oil to one's diet (not talking about switching, but adding as many do) because of the minerals and antioxidants. The protein, to me, is just a bonus. :)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I eat a lot of peanut butter. It's a good source of protein. Just stay in your calories and watch your fat.

Exactly! =) I love peanut butter.. it is a nice sweet snack!
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think peanut butter in moderation, especially the natural stuff, is good for you. Nuts in general, very good for you but you want to moderate. I am a vegetarian, so I don't eat a lot of other protein sources. Eggs, soy, seeds, and nuts are the big ones. It also depends what kind of workouts you are doing. I eat a small serving of nuts a day but my sister who works out 2 - 3 hours a day then goes for a 20-60 mile bike ride, eats a whole lot more.

I saw that somebody suggested hummus! Hummus is awesome. It can also be fairly high calorie, if you buy it at the store. I like to make mine myself.

I would suggest eating your pb on a rice cake or with some celery, instead of bread. I don't really do bread ha.
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As most have said, just watch the amount of fat you're having when eating peanut butter. It's used more for putting on weight, rather than loosing it, so I'd have it sparingly.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    And 4g of protein per 90 calories is not enough to be a worthwhile protein source.

Eat it if you want, especially if you are lacking in calories, but don't pretend you are doing it for health reasons. It contains a lot of fat.

Personally it gives me hives and asthma so I'm not touching it with a bargepole.

There's a lot of nutritional value to nut products other than protein. They do contain fat, but it's 'good' fat that's an important and healthy part of your diet. I agree that there are much better protein alternatives to meat than peanut butter, since it has relatively low protein/calorie, but that doesn't mean that it's bad for you....unless it causes you to break out in hives o_O

I try to stick to the 'natural' or 'just nuts' brands, since the regular peanut butter tends to have a lot of unnecessary sugar and sodium. As long as you measure it, and log it accurately, then it's fine.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I will go to my grave with a jar of Jif in my hand.... love my PB (just eat it in moderation!):flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of peanut butter. It's a good source of protein. Just stay in your calories and watch your fat.

Peanut Butter is awesome, let me start with that. I also eat it every day, but it is NOT a good source of protein. 7g of protein for 190 calories is not a good source. You need to be at least 10g for every 100 calories to be a good souce. It IS an excellent source of fats though.

All that being said, it is just awesome stuff.

-M
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone has to say, I'll eat the hell out of my PB anytime I wish:) As long as you log it in and don't over eat!! IT IS a good source of protein, not the best but hey:) You could be enjoying a big mac or other trash...eat on:)
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    Peanut butter can be good. I use PB2 to add to my chocolate meal replacement shake in the morning. Tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup! But sometimes I do indulge in creamy peanut butter, if I'm under calories & need some quick cals. But almond butter is a lot healthier of a choice which can be aquired at any whole foods store. More stores are starting to carry it though, just have to check your local store.