Denied health insurance for being too fat...

Options
I am self employed and my husband is a doctoral student, so we have to pay for our own insurance. We're currently on his school policy, which is costing us almost $800 a month. We wanted something that cost less, so we went shopping and applied for a plan through United Health.

My husband and I are both obese. He is 6'1 and weighs about 310, I am 5'10 and weigh 264. I'm obviously working toward losing weight (hence that i'm here, and I started off weighing 337). Neither of us have any health conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.) related to obesity. We're both relatively active.

Today I got the paperwork from the policy. It was probably 200 pages long. I was extremely confused because I didn't see my name on any of the papers until I got about 25 pages in. It was mentioned on a rider: a rider than excluded me from the policy because the insurance company, who makes BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in profit every freaking YEAR, decided I was too fat to cover.

What really irritated me was the little chart they included. For a 5'10 man, the cutoff for denial was 282 lbs. For a woman, it was 245.

I am sitting here in tears. I see the doctor extremely rarely. Because of my weight, which I have worked EXTREMELY HARD to control, I was denied-- while my husband was included.

What ticked me off even more was that this was clearly a FAMILY POLICY. Instead of saying "hey, do you still want this?" they hid my exclusion in the middle of the packet and made no mention of it otherwise until the very end where (and even then, it still just had my daughter and hubby as included insureds).

I am absolutely livid right now. Livid and mortified.

***STAFF NOTE ****

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
Scott
MyFitnessPal Staff

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am self employed and my husband is a doctoral student, so we have to pay for our own insurance. We're currently on his school policy, which is costing us almost $800 a month. We wanted something that cost less, so we went shopping and applied for a plan through United Health.

My husband and I are both obese. He is 6'1 and weighs about 310, I am 5'10 and weigh 264. I'm obviously working toward losing weight (hence that i'm here, and I started off weighing 337). Neither of us have any health conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.) related to obesity. We're both relatively active.

Today I got the paperwork from the policy. It was probably 200 pages long. I was extremely confused because I didn't see my name on any of the papers until I got about 25 pages in. It was mentioned on a rider: a rider than excluded me from the policy because the insurance company, who makes 700 BILLION DOLLARS in profit every freaking YEAR, decided I was too fat to cover.

What really irritated me was the little chart they included. For a 5'10 man, the cutoff for denial was 282 lbs. For a woman, it was 245.

I am sitting here in tears. I see the doctor extremely rarely. Because of my weight, which I have worked EXTREMELY HARD to control, I was denied-- while my husband was included.

What ticked me off even more was that this was clearly a FAMILY POLICY. Instead of saying "hey, do you still want this?" they hid my exclusion in the middle of the packet and made no mention of it otherwise until the very end where (and even then, it still just had my daughter and hubby as included insureds).

Where do you see UNH made 700 billion last year or even close to that amount, their revenue wasn't even 700B
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to health care in the U.S.! Remind me again why people are opposed to overhauling the entire health care system...
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am 5'4" and currently 271 pounds...down from 292. My husband took a job that he could not pass up, but that does not have a group health insurance plan, so we went shopping too. All I can get, it seems, is discount programs...not actual insurance...until I get down to 230 pounds. I have no other conditions...no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no anything. I am even doing C25K and TurboFire!

If anyone knows of a health insurance company that will look at more than just that stupid scale, please let us know! This is simply ridiculous. Smokers with other chronic conditions can get coverage, but not me???? What the F!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Where do you see UNH made 700 billion last year or even close to that amount, their revenue wasn't even 700B
    [/quote]

Sorry, I meant "like 700 billion" in an exaggeration. I shouldn't have said that. A crap ton would have been a better exaggeration. LOL.

The irony here? I used to work for UHG.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you were the only two obese people in the united states, your complaint about being denied would make more sense.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It sucks but at the end of the day it's a private company. If they feel that it's not profitable to insure certain people then its their right to decline coverage. You can be rejected for car and home insurance in various scenarios as well. It's a business, that's all. Find a different company and move on.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am 5'4" and currently 271 pounds...down from 292. My husband took a job that he could not pass up, but that does not have a group health insurance plan, so we went shopping too. All I can get, it seems, is discount programs...not actual insurance...until I get down to 230 pounds. I have no other conditions...no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no anything. I am even doing C25K and TurboFire!

If anyone knows of a health insurance company that will look at more than just that stupid scale, please let us know! This is simply ridiculous. Smokers with other chronic conditions can get coverage, but not me???? What the F!

I totally understand. Luckily, we do have the option of continuing insurance through his school, but it costs an arm and a leg. I can see them charging MORE for overweight people, but denying altogether when they have abcolutely no other health conditions? Absolutely insane. Not to mention, none of the plans cover anything to help us lose weight. What a back-a$$ward society we live in.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Today I got the paperwork from the policy. It was probably 200 pages long. I was extremely confused because I didn't see my name on any of the papers until I got about 25 pages in. It was mentioned on a rider: a rider than excluded me from the policy because the insurance company, who makes BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in profit every freaking YEAR, decided I was too fat to cover.

The good news is, they're on borrowed time to be able to exclude people like this. And good for you for being on MFP and working toward getting to a better weight.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    These companies are out to make money. Healthcare Insurance is not a social service yet.
    Obese people eat up more costs due to all the health issues they bring upon themselves.

Once the government takes over, that will ruin healthcare for the healthy while all the resources are drained away to pay for those who do not take care of themselves. It will actually be worse.
    Everybody expects other people to pay their way.
    Few just want to carry their own weight and take ownership of their life as well as their health.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Move up to Canada...I have room...we will take care of you. :flowerforyou:
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I understand this far too well. Two and half years ago when I started my current job I applied for private health insurance. At 265 lbs and 5'6" I was denied by two different providers...including the one that was supposed to have a higher acceptance weight. I've been insured through a state program for uninsurable people since then and pay about $300 a month for a policy with a $5,000 deductible that does not include ANYTHING. I have to pay all costs out of pocket - even doc visits - until I reach the $5,000 deductible. I wish this were something that was addressed as part of the health care reform... I understand your frustrating and shame. I'm so sorry. However, I am SO proud of you for the progress you've made.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    Welcome to health care in the U.S.! Remind me again why people are opposed to overhauling the entire health care system...
    Because individuals who don't take care of themselves should not expect others to pay their way.
    You want to live free and get fat?
    You may also live with the consequences.
    Just don't make it my problem.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    United Health is an a**hole company anyway....they bought out the insurance company I used to work for gave us terrible benefits and then laid off half of the company.....I wouldn't want their unsurance if they paid me to take it (their coverage for their employees was terrible too).....I hope you find something better...BCBS maybe?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So, did they weigh you or did you just put your weight on the form?
  • LATeagno
    Options
    These companies are out to make money. Healthcare Insurance is not a social service yet.
    Obese people eat up more costs due to all the health issues they bring upon themselves.

Once the government takes over, that will ruin healthcare for the healthy while all the resources are drained away to pay for those who do not take care of themselves. It will actually be worse.
    Everybody expects other people to pay their way.
    Few just want to carry their own weight and take ownership of their life as well as their health.

My mom is 5'4 and 145 lbs. and has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and is a smoker. She has no problems obtaining insurance. I have been overweight my entire life. I do not, and even have not, eaten McDonald's every day. I've never smoked a day in my life. I walk all the time. I have great blood pressure, great blood sugar, normal cholesterol levels and no health problems. Oh-- and I'm losing weight. Another "ding" in my record for them was the fact that i checked "yes" when they asked if I'd lost more than 30 pounds in the past 12 months.

Yeah. All of us fatties just want a free ride and a bag of Ring Dings. That's totally it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    Move up to Canada...I have room...we will take care of you. :flowerforyou:
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    Anybody not happy in America should move to Canada.
    Great advice!
  • LATeagno
    Options
    So, did they weigh you or did you just put your weight on the form?

I was honest and put my correct weight on a form. Clearly I should have lied.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You've made some pretty amazing progress so far - and now you're only 20 pounds away from their cutoff, so good for you!

I can imagine it's horrifying being denied health insurance (I am from Australia, where we have a two-tiered system of medicare (socilaised care) for everyone and private 'top-up' insurance that is voluntary, but no insurance company can refuse to take you on, irrespective of your risk profile).

However, there are several things you can do to help yourself out. 1 - keep losing weight! You're kicking *ss at it so far, so keep going. 2. Vote for whichever party offers the closest thing to universal health care at every chance you have., 3. Look for a different policy. 4. Move to a country where the basic right to affordable health care isn't controversial.

Health insurance companies in the US are for-profit. They can choose to extend their services to whomever best fits their risk-return equation. If you don't like it (it certainly appalls me), vote for universal health care!
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options

People are opposed to Obamacare because for the VAST majority of people in the US the healthcare system is great. We need to fix it for the people it doesn't work for, but not take away what works very well for the majority of people. People are not opposed to fixing what's broken. FOCUS on the ~20% or so that it doesn't work for.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I wasn't refused, but I applied for life insurance. Because I didn't fit in thier stupid height/weight chart my premium doubled. I told them to keep thier stupid insurance if they were going by the same out dated height/weight charts used by the military. According to the charts for my height I should weigh under 190# and my ideal weight is 170#. Totally unrealistic! The charts do not take into consideration build or bone structure. Now before anyone gives me flak on this, look at my pic where i am standing next to my car. I am abou 205# in that pic and was considered overweight. I may be near sighted, but i see no fat on me there! :smile: Off my soap box now....
This discussion has been closed.