Help!!!! I need Guidedance on Exercise Tips

Options
Hello Everyone,

So I am having a hard time trying to figure out what would be the best exercises for me. I need to lose about 80 pounds, I was real athletic as a kid and played soccer. I also was a dancer for 5 years, so I feel I dont challenge my body enough just on the elyptical or tread mill. I am wondering if I need to do athlectic exercises or something........ I need help?

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym currently? If so they may have classes you could be interested in. You might want to try out Zumba since you already have a dancing background.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is find something you enjoy so you will stick with it. Just because you were a dancer and an athlete doesn't mean you are still as fit as you were. You may need to start out slowly and build up as you get more and more used to it. My personal preference is 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 or 6 days a week, and some sort of strength training 2-3 days a week.

Any you CAN challenge your body enough on an elliptical or treadmill, just up the level or the incline - it just might bore you to death! I personally can't stand those gym machines so I run outdoors, bike (on a real bike), and swim. Strength training for me is usually body-weight exercises like lunges, squats, push ups, etc, and then some work with dumbells or kettle bells.

suggestion of Zumba is good, you might really like it and i hear its quite a workout. So is spinning. Even though I bike, Spin classes hand me my butt!
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    the suggestion for Zumba is a great one, and a good Zumba class will give you variations on the moves to make it more or less challenging depending on your fitness level. Adding strength/weight training to your cardio would be a good idea as well.
  • jmack20093
    jmack20093 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Xbox360 Kinect? The game Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 really kicks my butt.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely try some classes if you are a gym member. You'll probably find something you like. I personally enjoy Kickboxing and Weightlifting as well as running. If you don't have a gym membership, try some workout DVD's though Netflix or find videos on YouTube to see what you might like. You could also join an adult soccer team...
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Run! :)
  • dkgetchell
    Options
    I agree, the best thing to do is find something that you like to do. My personal preference is P90X and crossfit. The workouts change daily so it keeps me interested.
  • Djskrap
    Djskrap Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone I have thought about trying Zumba or the Flirty Girl exercises, which they dont have at the gym lol I do get board on the machines, so classes probably would be great I just get frustrated because you dont always pick the moves up fast enough and eventually you feel you didnt get a workout correctly...... I have depression weight, and I am on anxiety meds so that doesnt really help with water weight. I really would like my self exteem back, whcih being a female is a importance. What do you guys think about the whole slim fast thing?
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I adore Tae Bo. A great, fun workout with a vast array of DVDs to keep you both entertained and motivated. It's a great total body workout, too... :)
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I have thought about trying Zumba or the Flirty Girl exercises, which they dont have at the gym lol I do get board on the machines, so classes probably would be great I just get frustrated because you dont always pick the moves up fast enough and eventually you feel you didnt get a workout correctly...... I have depression weight, and I am on anxiety meds so that doesnt really help with water weight. I really would like my self exteem back, whcih being a female is a importance. What do you guys think about the whole slim fast thing?

If you take a class, stick with it for atleast 3 sessions. You will find that you are going to be able to pick up the moves quicker than you thought. As for slim fast, It's not really a forever way to eat so I wouldn't do it. Thats just me though.
  • dkgetchell
    Options
    Becareful with Slimfast. Someone else mentioned that its not real eating and they are right. Remember that a calorie regardless of what the source IE fat, carbs or protein, it's still a calorie and body uses them interchangably.

If you do the slim fast your going feel hungry, and combined with being a depressive weight person, you will probably be hungry, frustraged and depressed that the weight isn't coming off faster.

There are several theories on what your diet should be. I've using the primal diet, and i'm never hungry. Total weight down is 26lbs since April 23, 2012. I started myfitnesspal after i had lost 8 lbs so it says 18 instead of 26 lbs. primal diet is maintainable, vs the atkins which require you to purchase special food items. Still though dispite which diet plan you choose. You still need to maintain the calorie count. It really is what you eat vs what you work. If you dont have a heart rate monitor, I strongly suggest you get one to better calculate your calorie expenditure, and be patient. I need to lose about 40lbs still. At the 3700 calories per pound and my goal to lose 2 lbs a week i still have 20 weeks left if I'm consistant.