Need easy chicken recipes

Options
Next week I am going back onto my strick diet, I really do not have a-lot of time in the evening to make a HUGE meal! My plan is to cook on sunday night for my feels for the week! I do not eat fish although I wish I did!

Any quick and easy chicken ideas i can make on sunday that will be good through out the week?

Replies

• dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My go-to easy chicken recipe is to saute 1/2 inch chunks of chicken with garlic, chopped onions, pepper, salt and lemon juice over a little olive oil, then add to a bowl of brown rice and mix it up. I've never attempted to made a ton for the week, and don't know if the leftovers would be great after more than a couple days in the fridge, but it's definitely easy to make, yummy, and lower in calories (so long as you check your proportions!) I love serving this with some sauteed zucchini, garlic, and shallots (or onions, whatever you have!) on the side. You could probably mix things up a bit for the leftovers and make it with quinoa instead of brown rice one night for a little protein punch!

Another go-to is grilled skewers with chicken, onions, green or red peppers, mushrooms and zucchini (really, whatever veggies you have lying around!) A little ground pepper, garlic salt and whatever seasonings you love make this delicious! You can always prep the skewers earlier in the week and keep them in the fridge, then just fire up the grill on your busy evening and throw them on!
  • Ashley3915
    Ashley3915 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas!
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I like to grill boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1.5 pounds, cut it up and mix in a bag of frozen stir fry veggies in a sauce pan... in seperate pot I make 2 cups of brown rice and then mix it all together with a little bit of low sodium soy sauce.

some times I add shrimp too! It is delicious!
  • dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No problem! Good luck! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Brine some chicken breasts - which means soak them in ice cold water that has about 2 tbsp each of salt and brown sugar dissolved in it. Soak for about an hour.

Rinse off and pat dry, then season to taste (but skip the salt, since they've been brined), then grill or bake.

You can make enough to last a week.

Another option is the ubiquitous greek marinade: equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. definitely grill.

Easy peesy. The next thing to master is not overcooking. Use a meat thermometer.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    MONTEREY CHICKEN

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/4 c. bar-b-que sauce ( I use Bull's Eye)
    1/4 c. real bacon bits
    1 c. colby and jack cheese, shredded
    1 14 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, drained (canned with green chilies added)
    sliced green onions
    pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pound out chicken breasts to flatten. Season with pepper. Grill chicken until no long pink (we used our George Foreman grill) and place on baking sheet covered with foil. Top each chicken breast with one tablespoon bar-b-que sauce, 1/4 c. cheese, 1/4 c. tomatoes, green onions and one tablespoon of bacon bits. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).

***This is the first time we marinated the chicken breasts before cooking and they were great. You don't have to though. Marinade: 1/4 c. olive oil, 2 T. soy sauce, 2 tsp. McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. (We only marinade about a half hour or the meat gets too salty for us.)

Crock pot Buffalo chicken lettuce wrap tonight for dinner, 

Ingredients: 

For the chicken: 

24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast 
    1 celery stalk 
    1/2 onion, diced 
    1 clove garlic 
    16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth 
    1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I use my homemade hot sauce but Frank's works good.) 

For the wraps: 

6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg 
    1 1/2 cups shredded carrots 
    2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks 

Directions: 

In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 

Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken. 

To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating! 

Servings: 6 • Size: 1/2 cup chicken + veggies •Calories: 147.7 • Fat: 0.1 g • Carb: 5.2 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Protein: 24.9 g • Sodium: 879 mg 

The BBQ pulled chicken is very easy: 

2.5 Ibs of boneless skinless chicken breasts 
    3 Tablespoons of cider vinegar 
    2 Tablespoons of worchestershire sauce 
    1 Tablespoon of chilli powder 
    1 Tablespoon of Paprika 
    2 Tablespoons of sugar free honey 
    1 Tablespoon of reduced sodium tomato paste 

Combine all ingredients, and cook on low for 5 hours.

Creamy Chicken & Veggies 

Prep Time: 20 minutes 
    Cook Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes 
    Total Time: 7 hours, 50 minutes 
    Ingredients: 
    • 4 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces 
    • 1 teaspoon salt 
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper 
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
    • 2 pounds small red potatoes, halved 
    • 1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots 
    • 1 onion, chopped 
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
    • 14-ounce can low sodium chicken broth 
    • 1 cup light sour cream 
    • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
    • 3 tablespoons honey 
    • 3 tablespoons flour 
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 
    Preparation: 
    Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet and brown chicken, skin side down, until skin is brown. 
    In 4-5 quart slow cooker, place potatoes, carrots and onion. Top with chicken. Pour chicken broth over all. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-9 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender. 
    In small bowl, stir together light sour cream, mustard, honey, flour, pepper, and thyme until well blended. Stir into mixture in crockpot and turn heat to high. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. 8 servings 

CHICKEN TACO SOUP 
    Just open a can of this and that and off you go! 

Ingredients 
    2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless 
    1 can (15 oz) baked beans 
    1 can (15 oz) kernel corn 
    1 can (15 oz) kidney beans 
    1 can (14 oz) black beans 
    3 cans (14 oz) stewed tomatoes 
    1 package taco seasoning mix 

Directions 
    • Put chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker (Crock-pot). 
    • Mix all ingredients and pour over chicken. 
    • Cook 6-8 hours on LOW heat. 
    • Take chicken out and shred with knife and fork and mix back in. 
    • Cook another 30 minutes. 
    • Serve with low-fat shredded cheese and/or low-fat sour cream. 

Servings per recipe: 16 Per serving: 132 calories, 3 grams fat, 18% calories from fat, 15 grams carbohydrate. (Counts as 2 Weight Watchers points.) 

You can make this, using more like 2 lbs of chicken breast (frozen work great, but fresh/thawed works too). It really shrinks up in the crockpot. ---you can also brown 1lbs of hamburger meat (beef or turkey) and use that instead. --- I also use pinto beans in place of baked beans and only 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes. Diced tomatoes work well too. I also add a diced onion and a little fresh minced garlic. The next time I make this, I will be using a homemade taco seasoning which will cut the sodium WAY down. Just google homemade taco seasoning, there are a bazillion recipes out there.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE 

Ingredients 
    1 cut-up skinned chicken – cut into parts 
    1 onion – cut into large pieces 
    2 green or red bell peppers – cut into large pieces 
    32 ounce jar low-fat spaghetti sauce – may add 1/4 cup water if thick variety of sauce 
    1 can black olives 

Directions 
    • Place onions, bell peppers, and olives on the bottom of the crock. 
    • Place chicken parts on top. 
    • Pour spaghetti sauce over top. 
    • Cook on LOW for 8 hours. 
    • Serve over cooked pasta. 

Servings per Recipe: 8-10. Per serving: 147 calories, 2.6 gm fat, 16% cals from fat. 

Chicken Enchildas

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts 
    8 oz cream cheese 
    2 cans enchilda sauce, red or green 
    1 can black beans 
    1 can corn 
    tortilla shells 
    shredded cheddar cheese 
    Sour cream, black olives, lettuce etc to taste 

Place chicken breasts in crockpot, and smother with one can of enchilda sauce, cream cheese, black beans and corn. Cook on low 8 hours. When ready to prepare meal, stir the chicken well to shread. 

Spread chicken mixture down the center of softshell tortillas, and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch casserole pan. You can fit six enchildas in the pan. Pour second can of enchilda sauce on top and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 325-350° until heated through, approximately 30 minutes. If you make these ahead of time, you will need to bake longer. 

Serve with lettuce, more shredded cheese, sour cream, black olives, etc. to your taste. 

The leftover chicken mixture makes great chicken tacos, and this recipe freezes well. Use low-fat or non-fat cream cheese and whole grain tortillas to make it healthier. 
    This works out to about 300 per enchilada depending on how you garnish it

Easy Garlic Chicken

Ingredients:
    Servings:
    • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 3 teaspoons olive oil
    Directions:
    1. 1
    Preheat oven to 500°F and lightly grease a casserole dish.
    2. 2
    In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
    3. 3
    Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
    4. 4
    Place chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
    5. 5
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    6. 6
    Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes.
  • brandivestal
    brandivestal Posts: 2,637 Member
    Options
    One dish I make that my husband loves is Aztec Chicken. Grilled Blackened (Cajun) Chicken, top it with home made pico de gallo (Tomatoes, Onions, Jalapenos, and Cilantro) and light sour cream! Depending on the fat/ calories you have left for the day you can top it with some cheese before adding the Pico and Sour Cream:-) It is really yummy and easy!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Chicken and almost anything else in a crock pot. I love putting salsa over the chicken and then cooking it
    all day.I then use it to make burritos, tacos, salads and nachos.Saves time and money.
  • chipmunkee
    chipmunkee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to make meals for sum-thurs all on a sunday afternoon. Mainly ate chicken as it was cheaper than fish....But I get bored easily so ixed things up a bit.

The easiest way I found was to get as many chicken breast as you want, put each onto a piece of foil, big enough to make a parcel thing, then I would ad various spices and herbs to each one. Some of my favs are:

1.Coriander/Cilantro, garlic, black pepper and lemon (Either chop it up or blitz it in a blender then make slits in the chicken and put the paste into the slits and on the top. I love chilli so always put than on too but can leave it out too.
    2. Med veg and chicken - Basically I chop up eggplant, peppers and courgettes/zuchini, red onion and basically another other veg you fancy, then about 10 cherry tomatoes or 2-3 tomatoes chopped up
    3. Lemon and rosemary (i used dried) really simple and pretty tasty)
    4. Cajun spice rub (I used a sugar free one)
    5. Peri-peri rub (again sugar free, usually pretty spicy)

I get the jars of spice rub and they ast me ages.

Sometime I also just cook plain chicken breast in this way because I find its usually really soft and tender, then use it in salad....recently learnt how to make a thai dressing and that's my fav atm!

Hope that helps a bit
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken breasts. Let them cool. So you could do it on the weekend for the week and just stick them in the fridge. Cut them up into bite size pieces. Mix in greens, veggies and a dressing made out of olive oil and balsamic vinegear. It's quick, easy and keeps me full.
  • mazasmusings
    mazasmusings Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to recipes when I need to make something ahead of time that will still be good later is Oven Fried Chicken Tenders.

Serves four
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 egg (I use one egg white)
    1 tablespoon water
    1 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    It calls for about 1 1/4 lb chicken breast tenders, or 20 oz, making four 5-oz servings, which I find perfect for me and my wife actually eats a little less and we both have a good reheatable lunch, too.

- Heat oven to 425°F. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
    - In shallow dish, place flour. In another shallow dish, beat egg and water. In third shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and cheese. Coat chicken with flour; dip into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on cookie sheet.
    - Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center and coating is golden brown.

The chicken comes out crispy and delicious. Pair with some vegetables and some rice and it makes for a very tasty meal.

Nutition:
    Calories 330(Calories from Fat 160),
    Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g),
    Cholesterol 105mg;
    Sodium 670mg;
    Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g),
    Protein 18g;
    Vitamin A 6 %;
    Vitamin C 0 %;
    Calcium 15 %;
    Iron 8 %;
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I like to grill boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1.5 pounds, cut it up and mix in a bag of frozen stir fry veggies in a sauce pan... in seperate pot I make 2 cups of brown rice and then mix it all together with a little bit of low sodium soy sauce.

some times I add shrimp too! It is delicious!

I do something similar, but I also have a bunch of disposable/reusable containers and after I cook the chicken and rice, I assembly line measure out each portion... 3oz chicken, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup frozen veggies (whatever type strikes my mood). Then, I have a variety of low sodium sauces. I just grab one meal, decide which sauce I want that day, stir and microwave. They are great to take to work for lunches.
  • mazasmusings
    mazasmusings Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Another one of my favorites, especially for garlic lovers:
    Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Serves 6 (I usually cut down the amount I'm making)

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced ( I usually add another because I love garlic. I also have a food chopper from PamperedChef that makes this easy.)
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    - In a bowl, blend the olive oil and garlic. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
    - Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Calories 281
    Calories from Fat 97
    Total Fat 10.8g
    Saturated Fat 3.2g
    Cholesterol 75mg
    Sodium 326mg
    Potassium 260mg
    Total Carbohydrates 13.7g
    Dietary Fiber 0.9g
    Protein 30.4g
    Sugars 1.2g
  • epixed
    epixed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Garlic, and Brown Sugar

1 teaspoon butter
    2 cloves garlic
    4 chicken tenderloins (or 2 breasts cut thin)
    2-4 teaspoons brown sugar

1. In a skillet, cook butter, garlic, and chicken together until almost completely cooked. (There should still be a little pink inside.)
    2. Add brown sugar on top of chicken, flip and cook slightly. Flip it again and cook slightly. Continue cooking until sugar is caramelized and chicken is browned.

This goes really good with a vegetable medley. My favorite is carrots, zucchini, garlic, and onions. Cut and mix the vegetables in a thick bottomed pot. Add a teaspoon of butter. Cover and let steam. Stir occasionally. (May need to add a little water.)
  • lhather
    lhather Posts: 25
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yum.... they all sound great! Saving these ideas for later.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The simplest, yummiest and most healthy way to eat chicken is grilled. I like to go buy a bunch of different spice and herb rubs and make chicken breasts on my George Foreman. You can use Pam Grilling Spray which adds no calories and you can use different spices each time. Doesn't get easier than that!
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    These sound great, thanks!
  • Ashley3915
    Ashley3915 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone :) I am forsure going to try these!