Pregnancy Weight Gain

Options
I am 15 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, I am VERY excited for the new addition but also a little worried. With my first I started out at 110lbs and ended up at 200lbs...he is now 4 and my weight still zig zags between 145-160 depending how much diet/exercise I manage to fit in/stick to...

I don't want to diet during pregnancy and I want to ensure the baby has all the proper nutrients, but I would also refer to gain the recommended 25lbs and not 90lbs...exercise has become very difficult, my asthma has decided to act up as soon as I do any exercise and my Dr. said I shouldn't do that because if I can't breathe then the baby isn't getting enough oxygen either....I am still trying to walk but it means most of it is diet...so what are the best meals for pregnancy (preferably QUICK as I work crazy hours and have a 4 year old...) so quick, healthy, good for pregnancy...

How do you avoid temptations/cravings? Ice cream and all things salty are definitely trouble for me these days...

Replies

• Jones1204
    Jones1204 Posts: 9
    Options
    First, congrats on your pregnancy! I've heard weight gain is different with every woman, and pregnancy, but typically you should be gaining more of your weight in the third trimester and final weeks, but some women gain a little up front. I have two children also, and gained weight totally different with both. Typically you'll need to consume 100-300 extra calories a day (which isn't very hard) for your baby to grow normally, but ask your doc if he/she could recommend how many calories they want you to consume; I would mention to them your concern about gaining as much weight as you did with your first baby. Did you have gestational diabetes? I'm so glad you're not wanting to diet during pregnancy, because that isn't good for you or baby. Here is a link that had some info on weight gain:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

As long as you follow something similar as what is suggested in the article, you should be able to eat fairly normally. If you need quick items, I would suggest trying to carve out some free time during the weekend or on the weekend when you can cook some healthy meals, and then freeze into whatever portion you need. Also, I bought What To Eat When You're Expecting, which is part of the well known What To Expect When You're Expecting series, and it has great tips and recipes. I really enjoyed it. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Eat-When-Youre-Expecting/dp/0894800159

Hope some of this helped! :)
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    how about if you get an inhaler for your asthma..... albuterol is safe in pregnancy.
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. My dr. did give me an inhaler so I have it for when I need it, but he suggested still not doing things that cause me to need it as it can put the baby in distress.

Surprisingly no, I had no issues with my first pregnancy and never developed diabetes or anything. The only issue I ever had was I was WAY low on iron by midway through the 2nd trimester.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Check out Skinnytaste.com for recipes. When I was pregnant, I just ate as I did normally. I ate when I am hungry, and stopped when I wasn't. I gave into cravings occasionally. Do you know what caused you to gain 90lbs last time? Was it eating for two? I think you'll be fine as long as you eat sensibly. Good luck.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy. Try yoga or swimming...they are great exercise routines while pregnant to keep you moving and active, especially with the older child being around. And give in to temptation, but in moderation. If you want that ice cream, eat some, but keep it reasonable. The eat for two is not true obviously...I tracked (loosely) my calories...people log calories to lose, maintain, and like in your case, gain weight...just don't beat yourself up over the calories or number on the scale. I was a lucky girl, was able to run, do light cardio (dancing, aerobics), swimming, yoga, and strength train through my entire pregnancy (switching to walking the last month per my doctors orders), and was able to get right back into the routine after child birth and the weight came off relatively easier than it did after my first child...and I solely believe it was because I took a healthier and more active approach to my second pregnancy than I did my first.

Oh, and don't forget, when it's all over, it took 9 months to put on the weight...so don't expect miracle work to happen after you give birth. Take it easy and enjoy your pregnancy. Good luck and congrats!!!
  • mommaof2plus1
    Options
    Hi im looking for women who are also pregnant and trying to maintain or lose weight while pregnant im 9 weeks pregnant right now and overweight if you would like to add me please do i have no freinds on here lol thanks
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy. It is not necessary to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss 80%diet/20%exercise. Eat less processed foods and both you and the baby will get all the necessary nutrients without you gaining more weight than you need to. Eating clean will make it easier to lose all the baby weight after you have had your baby.
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey I just had #3! Congrats!
    I would say put your MFP on maentain setting and if you add "nusing mother" in your add food... it wil add 300 cals. This wil be the perfect amount!
    Don't give in and binge! Your hormones are telling you that you are hungry but stick to your calorie limit! TRUST ME! Also stay away from too many sweets and carbs! I know it's hard BUT it will help with the hunger!
    Stay away from Sugar-free products they are very bad for the baby and can cause birth defects!

At the end, when you have 7- 5 weeks left and it's the holiday time you will want to give up and give in! But don't! You will feel super great with every pound that you Don't gain over 30 lbs!!!! I gained 70 lbs with my first, 30 with my second and 35 with my third! You CAN do it! I believe in you! Do you believe in you?

Side note,
    The weight will slide off after if you eat healthy and clean after. Even without exercise... but of course take a walk with the new baby!!!

Good Luck!
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks your post is inspiring :)

When life gets busy it is sooooo easy to just say "well for today I will just eat this and I'll be healthy tomorrow" but I really have to try to focus and behave myself...especially during pregnancy...I will definitely try to keep track of my food better
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 16 weeks pregnant tomorrow and would also like to gain a 'healthy' amount of weight. I have been eating lots of fruit and veg, turkey and chicken, low-fat yogurt and lots and lots of water. I have been having bad heartburn for some reason though and it's driving me crazy lol. Was going to get home from work today and do some pregnancy yoga or aerobics, but I had terrible heartburn and it was making me feel sick so I didn't do anything. Just sat down and put my feet up. Do I work through this or will exercise make the heartburn worse? Really not sure what to do...