IPAD or NOOK

Options
tkaawa
tkaawa Posts: 302
SO I WAS DEFINITELY SET ON GETTING A NOOK TODAY, BUT MY FRIEND TRIED TO SELL ME AN IPAD 2 AND NOW I'M STUCK. I'VE BEEN WANTING AN IPAD FOR SO LONG AND NOW AFTER I "THOUGHT" I MADE UP MY MIND....I'M STUCK.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM.....THE IPAD 2 THAT MY FRIEND HAS..IT'S A 32gb...BUT HE WANTS $550. WOULD YOU SPEND THAT MUCH ON A USED IPAD 2?

PLEASE HELP

Replies

• sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    For reading ... the Nook . Actually, I have the Sony Reader and like it. It's a true touch screen and has all the bells and whistles except color which you don't need for reading books.

You want a dedicated reader that uses e-ink technology and no computer screen glare in the background that will hurt and strain your eyes.

I have the iPad and love that too but wouldn't use it for reading lots of text on a page for a long period of time. As it is, I keep the light down to a lower level to avoid straining my eyes and also to save on the battery charge.

E-readers and iPads are both great for different things.

I think the cost of a new iPad is about the same but then again, I think the one that i have is 16 and not 32 and was about that price so it might be a good deal. I would double-check and consider it if you trust the friend. Also, is the iPad the latest version?

Be sure to know what you're getting and make sure you trust your friend if you get that.

Otherwise, consider getting a brand new one for the same money.
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    Check out the Nexus 7 from Google. $200 brand new for 8GB and $250 for a 16GB
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a nook and an IPad2 - I like reading on the nook better since it isn't backlit you can read anywhere (even in the sun).

If you are just wanting to read books I would get a nook

If you want an Ipad go buy a new ipad :-)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What's a Nook?

It really depends what you want a tablet for and how much you are prepared to spend, but considering you could buy a new one for the price here in the UK, I certainly wouldn't pay that for a second hand one!

I am a Mac girl and they do say that one you go Mac you never go back.......and I love my iPad so would certainly recommend it!
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle fire. I would suggest looking into it! :)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt pay 550 for a used ipad 2 for sure
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can buy new for about that price through eBay, so if it's an iPad you want, I wouldn't pay that much for it. Sunrise makes an excellent point too, e-ink screens are better in bright sunlight.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Do you need 32gb? I paid $379 for my NEW iPad 2 (16gb) through work...
  • tkaawa
    Options
    Thank you guys all for your input. I'm still in cahoots though...i'm looking up the Nexus though...never heard of it. where can i get it?
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased and IPad 2 16gb. I LOVE my IPad. I use it for work and home. I will never use the entire 16gb so it works fine for me. I would recommend the IPad. You can get a brand new 16gb for around $350 at Sam's Club.
  • tkaawa
    Options
    i wouldnt pay 550 for a used ipad 2 for sure

that's what i'm saying. I just went on apple and I can get an Ipad 3 way cheaper
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    SO I WAS DEFINITELY SET ON GETTING A NOOK TODAY, BUT MY FRIEND TRIED TO SELL ME AN IPAD 2 AND NOW I'M STUCK. I'VE BEEN WANTING AN IPAD FOR SO LONG AND NOW AFTER I "THOUGHT" I MADE UP MY MIND....I'M STUCK.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM.....THE IPAD 2 THAT MY FRIEND HAS..IT'S A 32gb...BUT HE WANTS $550. WOULD YOU SPEND THAT MUCH ON A USED IPAD 2?

PLEASE HELP

TYPING ALL IN CAPSLOCK MAKES ME FEEL LIKE YOU ARE YELLING.

Anyway.

If you want to read? The Nook Simple Touch is hands down the best e-reader out there.

If you want to read, do tabletty stuff, browse the internet, maybe watch Netflix and do other misc crap, get an ipad.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to read, I don't think you can beat the Nook Simple Touch. It's running Android, so you can hack the crap out of it, and you don't get the glare reading that you get with an iPad/Kindle Fire/Nook Color. Also copying books onto the Nook is as simple as plugging it into a PC and copying them over through Explorer.

If you're looking for a casual reader/watch movies/play games tablet, an iPad is great, the Kindle Fire and Nook Color are both running Android, so any differences are based purely on the tweaks Amazon/B&N has made to the interface, and can be easily changed.
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    So, I have a nook and love it. But it definately has some irritations. The first is that I work at a library and have the ability to check out ebooks. But I cannot get mt nook to accept them. Second is that any app or book you buy willhave to be purchased through the nook store. I love my nook, and would not trade it. But if your looking for mainly a tablet with app selection I would do a little more research. Good luck:)
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Like the others said, if you're wanting to read books, I would not get an iPad. A backlit screen is harder on your eyes for reading books, and you won't be able to see the screen if you're outside in bright sunlight.

A Nook (not the color Nook) is like reading paper. They have a new Glow Nook that has a light you can turn on for night reading, and you can see the screen perfectly when you're in bright sunlight.

We actually have both a Nook and an iPad. I use the Nook for reading, and my husband uses the iPad for magazines, surfing, etc. Even if you do decide on an iPad, $550 for a used iPad 2 is highway robbery. You can get a brand new 32GB iPad (a newer generation/model than the iPad 2) for $599, or a 16GB for $499. Or you can get an iPad 2 16GB for $399. All of these options are available from the Apple web site, with free shipping plus a warranty.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    If you want something that isn't pricey, reads great, can surf the web and add all kinds of apps... then the Nook Color is the best choice. I spent like $150 for it new and feel it was a steal... I was even able to pull up the live basketball game while sitting in the hospital.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I amcurrently on my nook tablet. I hate it. First off, you can only access the barnes and noble app market, which is poor at best. There isn't even a free version of angry birds on it, if that tells you anything. I have had to return a few different books because parts were nonfunctioning. My husband bought it as a gift. He asked the bn lady if you could access the android market. She lied. By the time I got it for xmas, the 30 days was past, and we couldn't return it.

The kindle fire is better. But in about a week, android is coming out with a tablet that will far surpass the nook tablet, even has a camera. Wait and get that. If you like the books from bn, you can use the nook app on it. And its the same price as the nook tablet. I am trading mine in thru bestbuy and getting the android one.
  • tkaawa
    Options
    Do you need 32gb? I paid $379 for my NEW iPad 2 (16gb) through work...

i actually really don't need a 32gb. I don't know what I would do with all that memory. $379...That's a better deal than we get..
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I amcurrently on my nook tablet. I hate it. First off, you can only access the barnes and noble app market, which is poor at best. There isn't even a free version of angry birds on it, if that tells you anything. I have had to return a few different books because parts were nonfunctioning. My husband bought it as a gift. He asked the bn lady if you could access the android market. She lied. By the time I got it for xmas, the 30 days was past, and we couldn't return it.

The kindle fire is better. But in about a week, android is coming out with a tablet that will far surpass the nook tablet, even has a camera. Wait and get that. If you like the books from bn, you can use the nook app on it. And its the same price as the nook tablet. I am trading mine in thru bestbuy and getting the android one.

You need this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/how-to-hack-the-250-nook-color-into-a-full-android-tablet/7630

Once you hack it, you won't go back...it? Anyway, this will make it all better.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options

You need this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/how-to-hack-the-250-nook-color-into-a-full-android-tablet/7630

Once you hack it, you won't go back...it? Anyway, this will make it all better.

My husband boots up his Nook Color with an SD card that runs the Android OS. You can still boot it up without the card and it's like a regular Nook again.