To Other Binge Eaters

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Do you ever get days where you find yourself wanting to just eat some of all the foods that are basically, not so healthy ?

Have you ever gone out and bought for example, cookies, muffins, doughnuts, ice cream and chocolate, because you could not have just one, and wanted some of all of it?

Did you find a way to tackle this that didn't involve simply cutting it all out totally? For example, having one item a few times a week, or by having a cheat meal once a week?

Replies

• catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    For me, if I add any of it back in, it makes me crave it all that much more, and I usually have to have it all, in one day. So I try not to eat it as it will definitely trigger the bingeing. But some people can do it in moderation, I am just not one of them :(
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Feed the body food it needs.

Binge eating happens when we feel deprived. A low calorie carb heavy diet will leave people unsatisfied with hunger pangs.

This is why I'm on a Keto/Paleo diet and I do intermittent fasting. No down sides. I don't ever feel hunger, or have cravings. Do your own research though. Keto/IF isn't popular with the bro-scientists around here.

Also, binge eating may not be from deprivation, professional help may be needed for food addiction issues.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    every 2 weeks i release the "pressure valve". i don't go completely overboard and still follow the "eat when i'm hungry, stop when i'm full" mantra.

everybody is different, be prepared for those who think "cheat days" are the worst. I have yet to even gain back weight from a cheat day! and keep in mind, as a baker, a cheat is never more than 5 seconds away for me :tongue:

but by all means, you do what YOU feel you need to do to stay on track long term. If a cheat day now and then still gets you the results, then do it, but if you find you are simply regaining what you lost during the week then rethink it... and best of luck no matter what you decide!
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend has the biggest sweet tooth and is always bringing home cookies and what not..... if i absolutely have to..... i have one. one cookie will not undo all the good i've done. and i also don't let it ruin my day. i continue the rest of the day in a healthy fashion, as if i never had a slip up....
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found to beat my binges was to allow myself to eat little treats. As long as I stay in my calorie goal, I can have something. I don't stress out if I go over my calories one day.

If I want cake or something, I make a mug cake. I eat that, then the cake is gone and I have no more to eat. It's a lot of work to make another mini cake. I also found healthier options for the mug cakes.

My hardest time of day is the afternoons/evenings, so I try to keep myself busy during those times. I do my workouts at night or I'll clean, or do anything really to distract myself.

I used to go to the store and pick up things for a binge, like chips, ice cream, cookies, muffins, but as I've been getting healthier and getting my life under control, it is easier to walk away from those items. I also just avoid those aisles in general! Stick to the outside edges of the grocery store as much as possible, and you won't be tempted by the processed foods as much.

I also make a list when I go shopping, so I try to get only the things on my list.
  • PocketMachine
    Options
    I use to have very bad issues with binging. Especially on sweets. When I lived at home with my parents I tried everything - eliminating sweets totally, allowing sweets once a day, allowing sweeting 3x's a week, etc. and NOTHING working. I always ended up binging on them.

Now, that I am out of my parents house I have finally learned how to manage not binging on foods... Do not buy them. I don't keep ANY type of binge food in the house (sweets, chips, granola bars, cereal). And, if I find I want something sweet and I can't seem to get rid of the craving - I will go out and buy one single serving. I usually end up buying a venti mocha light frap at Starbucks and it usually does the trick without feeling like I overdid it.

But, basically, I think you need to find what works for you. But, my guess is that you will need to keep trigger foods out of the house and only buy them in single serving sizes. Hope that helps!
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Although I am not completely there yet.....I am slowing coming to the realization that I CAN'T do moderation. If I have one....I have 20. The only thing that I've found that helps is to have individually packaged and labeled "treats". A tub of icecream is off limits in my house. But I can do icecream bars. Chocolates are off limits entirely. I just can't do them. Same with sugared candy..even if they're packaged...I can't have one or two.

I would do some trial and error to see what happens. I recently had to ban candied orange slices (they were "for the kids").....I had like the entire bag in one sitting.....like 2000+ calories.

Good luck....I know how hard it is.
  • bernieboom1
    Options
    when I am shopping I often look at the nutritional info and think "oh well thats not that bad" and did the same when I was on weight watchers, for example a kit kat would be 3 points. But the trouble then Is that if i buy said item, I know I won't be able to stop at one... so if I fancy something sweet, I will buy just a single one of these items rather than a whole packet.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    That os exactly how I am. Have not found a way to help stop it though, sorry :(
  • miss_greene
    Options
    I did it every weekend, without fail. I would say that I only have friday (my drinkin day) to eat what Iwant. But i would always continue it all weekend. Then restart monday.

Now how I do it is:
    Monday - thursday I eat strictly (but still delicious food)
    friday i drink a few beers and have a treat
    BUT th emain thing is, all the healthy days, I eat my calorie goal and DONT eat my calories that MFP says I have earned through fitness... But on cheat days I then DO eat them. So I am still doing very well in the end.

But when I would binge eat I would like look for the most unhealthy food I could find.. horrible
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    They need to have warning signs on stores that sell all this stuff, lol.
    I have been considering an anti depressant even, since some of those can help with binge eating/bulimia issues, and I have issues with ocd and depression anyway.
    It is an all or nothing mentality with me. I can have a run of days not touching anything with refined sugar in, then a day comes along when I want to grab everything I see.

Dont think IF would help me, as I am more prone to binge if I am really hungry and get mood issues if I workout and go without eating all day.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Yup I'm a all or nothing kinda person:(
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat one or a couple of squares of dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts a couple of times a week,depending on how many calories I have left. One day I had many calories left and I did an experiment to see how many squares I would eat if I could have as many as I want\ed. I ate 5 squares or about half a bar. Each square is around 110 calories.

I do not consider anything of limit, I just stay away from trigger foods. I do not consider dark chocolate "unhealthy".
  • elbiekoh
    elbiekoh Posts: 22
    Options
    Having a cheat day or a cheat meal hasn't helped me. Sugar usually results in a binge, so I try to avoid that. But recently I've been able to reintroduce baked goods into the house. I had a packet of 4 bagels and I ate 1 bagel per day. Sounds like nothing, but it was a huge deal for me.

I think moderation is key, and not placing so much emphasis on food- in theory , I mean it never works out that way. But my plan is to slowly reintroduce certain foods back into my daily diet and household, so that I'm comfortable knowing they're there without having to binge all of them. So baked goods, then cereal, then sugars, peanut butter, etc.

My standard binge items [from the supermarket] are flavored milkshake drinks, peanut butter, jam, butter, bread, bagels, clotted cream, yoghurt, premade dinner meals, chocolate, sweeties, pringles, salted crisps. I try to make my shopping cart look like I'm doing a stock up shop, as oppose to a "check out my naughty binge basket" shop. I get paranoid about what the shop teller thinks.... Or I'll plan out a full dinner menu for 4-5 people, and shop for that - again, so the shop assistant doesn't know I'm the only one eating.

I've thought about buying shelf items like chocolates and crisps etc. and instead of eating them, storing them in a suitcase under my bed. So that I have the satisfaction of knowing they're there if I need them, but also the satisfaction of knowing I said "no". I don't know how healthy that is though. Sometimes I try with chocolate, I'll put it in my cupboard and try not to think about it, but then after a day or so I always end up seeking it out.

Once, I spent about $45 on a binge shop, and on the walk home, I was so frustrated by myself, and what I was about to do - that I just put the bag down on the path and went home. I felt really strong, I was pissed I'd wasted all that money - but it felt better than wasting the money only to consume all those calories.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I used to binge on chocolate, now I buy dark chocolate and incorporate that in my meals every day. Because it is so rich I can't eat more than 30 grams. Also bread, used to crave it sooo much night time but now if I have it with brekkie (I'll have french toast most mornings) my cravings will be fulfilled. Also, gum and water! And brushing teeth!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I’m very “all or nothing” as well. I haven’t figured out how to conquer it when that urge comes on strong. I just try to avoid having the things around that trigger a binge. I suppose denying myself these things all the time is partly what triggers the binge to begin with but if I have it in front of me I’ll eat it all so I just can’t have it in front of me. :embarassed:
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Once, I spent about $45 on a binge shop, and on the walk home, I was so frustrated by myself, and what I was about to do - that I just put the bag down on the path and went home. I felt really strong, I was pissed I'd wasted all that money - but it felt better than wasting the money only to consume all those calories.

I've done this too. I felt so guilty about wasting the money . . . and wasting the food but the tiny little show of willpower when I usually don't have it really did feel good. I wish I could have it BEFORE spending the money in the first place!
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    All or nothing for me as well. If you put any type of junk food in front of me--I'll typically eat it all till it's gone. BAD BAD. So, it's all out of my room and sight for now.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    when I am shopping I often look at the nutritional info and think "oh well thats not that bad" and did the same when I was on weight watchers, for example a kit kat would be 3 points. But the trouble then Is that if i buy said item, I know I won't be able to stop at one... so if I fancy something sweet, I will buy just a single one of these items rather than a whole packet.

I do the same thing. If I really really want Pringles, I buy the mini-can. It's more expensive, and sometimes that's enough to deter me. ;)

Here is a great list of cravings & what your body really wants!
    127508233169447090_Pts2CpVN_f.jpg
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I wish I could eat "bad" for you food and not crave it after! If I let myself have it just once, I start craving it! My dr believes it's because I have a gluten intolerance, which I guess is known to cause cravings and binge eating. So I just stay away from it and avoid eating it.