What type of HRM do you use?

Options
I bought a wrist New Balance HRM about 6 mos ago and it was "OK" to get me through. I know it was somewhat right, but its had its ups and down. For example today, I did my P90X Legs/Back with ABS Ripper workout and it said I burned 180 calories in 81 min. WTH! Completely wrong! I was out of breath, sweaty beyond everything, and knew I worked harder than that. Other days it will show the actual 10-20 calories burning at each minute as I'm working...and then increasing.

I hate to put out more $$$ on JUNK! I know as long as I'm working it out, sweating and feeling "good" all is fine no matter what! (Good attitude...lol). I just wondered everyone's thoughts.

I rarely buy myself anything, cause I'm a mom and the kids and everyone else comes first. So, the HRM is kind of important, but not. Like, I said if I breakdown to do something for me...just don't want to regret it again.

Thanks everyone!

Michelle

Replies

• reereejandro
    reereejandro Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Does everyone use a HRM to track the calories and then add them in? I would like to know more about what people do with them....

Also I read a lot of raves on here about the FITBIT, available at Best Buy and wherever else for about $100.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. It's da bomb awesome super kickass.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I bought a sportline from walmart for 60 bucks. It has the chest strap and writst watch together. Works great and I would recommend it to anyone.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    A week ago I bought a new HRM Polar FT7. It´s simple and good, it has a chest strap so it is said to be pretty accurate.
    I was thinking of buying FT4 but the FT7 wasn´t that much more expensive and has more features.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Does everyone use a HRM to track the calories and then add them in? I would like to know more about what people do with them....

Also I read a lot of raves on here about the FITBIT, available at Best Buy and wherever else for about $100.
    I have a Fitbit (fitbit.com)and I love it, but it's not a HRM. It's best for walkers/runners (I'm a walker) and it's great for keeping me motivated.

I just got a Polar FT7 and it's great. Polar has a reputation for being one of the best - and most accurate - HRMs around.
  • txbjp371
    txbjp371 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft7, and I love it! :)
  • ksloughlin
    ksloughlin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, love it. I work out 6 days a week, sometimes 2 x a day, and the band washes easily and dries pretty quickly. Overall, it is really comfortable. I've had it for a year, no problems.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options

Since I started using a HRM I can´t be without it. MFP isn´t all that accurate. It sometimes gives you too many calories or too few. I feel better about logging when using HRM. I feel like I´m not cheating
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! Great for my needs and I love it!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7.
    Love it.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hard to go wrong with Polar series.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought me the Polar ft40! So far I am in love with it!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I got a Polar FT4 from ****s Sporting Goods for about $80. One of the best investments ever in my opinion! It doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles that a lot of the more new and expensive models do and works perfect for me. Make sure you get an HRM with a strap and watch, not just the watch. It's much more accurate. Good luck!

edit: Bahahaha i can't believe it stared that!! :laugh:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only accurate during cardio. As far as I know, p90x legs & back and also ab ripper x is NOT cardio. They're toning exercises. Ur heart rate probably did not get up very high during & that's why it said u had a low burn. But it doesn't really matter what ur heart rate is during exercises like that, because that is not the only thing that play a part in what you're burning. It depends on ur amount of resistance ur using, the muscle group ur working, how big said group is. Several factors. I wear mine during all types of exercises just so I have a number to put, but when I do anything besides cardio I dont take that number seriously.
    With that said, I have a Polar FT4. I love it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Sportline
  • jimc2334
    jimc2334 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I LOVE it!! The chest strap makes it soo much more accurate. I just bought a Fitbit yesterday. Just to track my all day long activity and sleep. I am still going to use the HRM for my P90X workouts.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 that I wear indoors and a Garmin 305 that I wear outdoors...they are both awesome~!
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have had a Polar FT4 for about 3-4 years now. I wear it all the time. Just for grins and giggles, I wear it during the most odd times such as shoveling snow and yard work. I also wear it during INSANITY!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Use a Polar FT60 and absolutely love it.... Best investment I have made for tracking HR and Calories Burned...