Question about hair

Options
RedHeadDevotchka
RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
I turn to you MFP community, I have over dyed and stripped my hair and it feels awful like straw :sad: suggestions for good products or tips that work??? I'm not cutting my hair any shorter, so that's not an option either.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Go see a professional. Don't put anything on it that you can buy at the store.

Usually adding a colour (darker) can help to rehydrate and condition it. Please see a professional... not a cheap one either. Find a thriving salon and ask for the best colorist there.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go see a professional. Don't put anything on it that you can buy at the store.

Usually adding a colour (darker) can help to rehydrate and condition it. Please see a professional... not a cheap one either. Find a thriving salon and ask for the best colorist there.

Yep -- agreed.
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    I don't see how adding more chemicals, no matter what the colour, will help revive hair.

Coconut oil is great for damaged hair. Nothing you can do to repair it, that's impossible, but it helps make it feel softer and more manageable. The longer you can keep it on the better. Cassia treatments are also great for adding moisture and strength back to hair. It's similar to henna, but only lasts around a month and doesn't deposit any colour on your hair.

Edit: Also please don't waste your money on expensive treatments. They are definitely not worth it. Try and reduce how often you wash your hair every week so your scalp's essential oils can help look after the new hair as it grows in. Try and rinse only in cold water and reducing how much you brush your hair and how often you use heat styling too will help prevent extra damage. I've grown incredibly damaged hair out (twice - i should have learnt the first time) without cutting. It's manageable but takes a bit of effort and a lot of patience.

Oh! Also, the occassional apple cider vinegar rinse is also great. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would try this...wash & condition your hair. Plan on staying in for the night, or a couple of days is even better. After towel drying your hair, coat all of your hair with lots of attention on the ends with conditioner. Put your hair up in a bun and leave it for as long as you can. I read YEARS ago that Cindy Crawford used to do this for an entire weekend...and I've only even done it overnight and it works wonders. Hope this helps!
  • christakersey
    Options
    If you would like to try a home remedy, I've done this on my son who has very coarse hair. Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of hot water, as hot as you can stand it, and pour it on your already wet hair. It's best to use a squirt bottle. You can use more if you have a lot of hair. Let it sit on your hair for about 5 minutes, then rinse it all out with cold water, as cold as you can stand it. It made my sons hair so soft! Shampoo builds up on your hair after a while which can also make it coarse. Good luck!
  • Notorious_T
    Notorious_T Posts: 384
    Options
    If you mean conditioner and not more color go to a beauty supply store...and get a high-end hot oil treatment...my hair always feels amazing afterwards, just make sure you get it completely washed out
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Aveda has a damage remedy serum that is amazing which was recommended to me by my stylist to keep my long hair healthy when I color it, but definitely get advice from a professional since they can actually consult with you in person and give you the best course of action to help. Good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would go to a salon and ask for their advice. Maybe get one of those deep conditioning treatments. Also, wash your hair less often from now on. I only wash mine every other day and it's still damaged.
  • priddy_girl
    priddy_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you would like to try a home remedy, I've done this on my son who has very coarse hair. Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of hot water, as hot as you can stand it, and pour it on your already wet hair. It's best to use a squirt bottle. You can use more if you have a lot of hair. Let it sit on your hair for about 5 minutes, then rinse it all out with cold water, as cold as you can stand it. It made my sons hair so soft! Shampoo builds up on your hair after a while which can also make it coarse. Good luck!
    I agree with this...also mashed up avocado and olive oil make a great homemade conditioner. Otherwise, go to your local beauty supply store and ask for a highly concentrated conditioner. Good Luck!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have done hair for over 10 years. My favorite reconstructive treatment is by Chi. It is part of their olive oil therapy line. It is a little pricey but I have made my bottle last for near 6 months. It would work even deeper if you put it on your hair, put on a shower cap and add some warm air from your blow dryer. Oh, and a little goes a real long way.

Be nice to it and long term it will be nice to you. :flowerforyou:
  • cwe1229a
    cwe1229a Posts: 34
    Options
    condition your hair as much as possible! i'd try some coconut oil and get a bath cap, let it sit in your hair for about ten to twenty minutes then rinse. i did this when i dyed my hair. that, and don't wash it often, use dry shampoo if you have to but you want the natural oil to start coming back :-)
  • donovanart
    donovanart Posts: 55
    Options
    Condition it!! Lots of conditioner haha.

Also, maybe you might have some dead ends? Just check, if so cut off an inch or two?

Usually, if I dye my hair it feels straw like as well, after a good few days of showers it's back to normal, I'd avoid straighting or curling your hair for the time being until it's fixed though.
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a hairdresser tell me to get a deep conditoner by Matrix OR if I wanted something less expense to use the Aussie 3-min conditioner. I asked for my daughter and she says the Aussie is great -- and it's less than $3 a bottle.
  • Gingeeee
    Gingeeee Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, I did the very same thing to my hair several years ago. It was fried from the hairdresser putting toner on my hair to get the red out. I had it very long, almost to my waist and my hair is very thick. I had to have it cut into long layers, I kept the length and it really looked nice. I usually dont let just anyone cut my hair. I use Morrocan Oil on it most of the time. I also used what they call Anti Snap to help keep it from breaking off even more. I hope your not using box hair dye that is the worse dye you can use. I had to stop dying it for a long time and let it repair itself. I also took Flaxseed Oil tablets it helps hair, skin and nails alot but it takes awhile before you see it working. Hope it helps.:smile: Please send a friend request to me.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound so disgusting...but I over dyed my hair once, then stripped it, then recolored it (all at home mind you) and an overnight mask consisting of MAYO did wonders!
  • Cuthberl
    Cuthberl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil w/ a cap for about an hour prior to shampooing/conditioning. It washes out easily and leaves your hair so soft and full of body.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    You can try that WEN stuff if you'd like or some Argon Oil Treatment. I second the suggestion to see a professional as well.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Kerastase is the best product I've ever used. I have dry damaged hair from highlights and lowlights. These products work wonders.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I turn to you MFP community, I have over dyed and stripped my hair and it feels awful like straw :sad: suggestions for good products or tips that work??? I'm not cutting my hair any shorter, so that's not an option either.

Check out the long hair community forums as they really have great information on hair care.
    http://www.longhaircommunity.com/

I use coconut oil and I dont use shampoo at all, only condition only washes. I have definately seen an improvement in my hair.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My hair is long and dry. The ends use to feel like straw. I would trim it regularly but to no avail. I keep it in a pony tail mostly. When I have time once a week I coat the pony tail in olive oil. Wear an old t shirt so it doesn't get oil stains on it. I let it sit for hours. Sometimes I put a towel down on my pillow and sleep with it on. Coconut oil will do the same but it's more expensive and I'm not wasting it on my hair. I also started to eat more healthy fats. Every time I eat I ensure I have a healthy fat. If not I take a fish oil supplement. My hair is wonderful now.