Quiting exercise

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, you will fail for sure pulling back.
    As people have said; don't do less but try some different types of exercise.
    Strength training will make a huge difference.
    Good Luck!
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    3100 calories is sort of insane. Walking 2 miles would burn maybe 100 calories, running 2 miles would also burn maybe 200 calories, and hour of kickboxing... 600ish?

So you're trying to lose weight at over 2k calories net per day? Eat less calories (and maybe re-examine what you're eating), keep working out.

I was going to say.. that amount of extra cals seems very very high.

I do 30-60 minutes of weight training and thats maybe 250-450 in cals, 6 miles of running at a 10 minute per mile pace burns around 800-900, a 90 minute walk at 3.5 mph burns around 450, and 60 minutes of intense level 2 krav maga at most is 450 cals. As a female your burn should be less then mine (my exercise partner is a 27 year old female who basically does exactly what I do and her burn is always 20% less then mine)

If you are using the MFP defaults for this I would highly suggest investing the money in an HRM to get an accurate cal count. I know before I did that I used the default martial arts on MFP and for me it was something like 950 per hour- more then double what it really is.

Basically I think you are not losing weight because somehow you are WAY overestimating your cal burn
  • kdecourcey
    Options
    I would try switching it up and doing some strength training and biking and swimming, yoga too. Sounds like your body is comfortable and needs to be tricked into burning more calories by moving a different way. I would also cut back on the calories. Good luck!
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    High intensity interval training. Strength training (not light weight/toning - that's a total myth).
    Re-evaluate your estimated needs and record of exercise performed (I'd rather underestimate than "allow" more kcal intake).

Long term success is healthy eating (as much real food as possible), and regular exercise that mixes up cardio & resistence training, endurance and speed, stamina and power, body weight and heavy weight. Don't stop the exercise, just change it up.

kona
    Registered Dietitian/Crossfit Masters
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My new plan is to cut back on my exercise I try and eat 1500 calories a day for a month. I will probably walk two miles and three times a week run two miles but eliminate the other more strenuous options.

Any positive/helpful thoughts?
    Sounds like a plan. Excessive calorie deficits can be a bad idea, however caused. You're going to be active and if 80% of weight loss is down to diet you're concentrating on the right part.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If I quit exercise heads would roll. I'd probably lose my family, my dogs, and my job from all the red hot temper flying around.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Also, where are you eating that 3100 calories. When I look at your diary I see an average of way under 1700 gross calories consumed and no exercise calories logged. Also, where are you getting your numbers for your burn? If you're supposed to be getting 3100 net then that means you're burning 1400 calories per day in exercise?

I would:
    1) Adjust your activity level to reflect your daily walks to slightly active if you're currently on sedentary.
    2) switch off 2 - 3 days a week to strenght training if you don't already.
    3) if you don't have a hrm with a chest strap get one
    4) keep accurate logs of your food an exercise trying to net appropriately.

If what I'm reading is correct, you aren't actually adhereing to the mfp recommendations or the tdee recommendations, your plan is a bit arbitrary and without a real plan.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    i cant believe that you eat 3000 calories a day! first of, I started losing weight when I stopped going to the gym! dont get me wrong, I am still very active. the thing that changed though was that i controlled my eating just and only that. when I went to the gym, it overcomplicated things for me and I would eat..because I went to the gym.."i could eat this, because I go to the gym" blah blah blah ..its crap! basically i concentrated on what went into my system and thats it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but if it were me. I'd cut back on both the exercise and calories. That seems like a lot of exercise every day, and I can't imagine how I could ever eat 3100 healthy calories. Even on days that I stuff myself silly and drink a lot of wine, I never get near that amount.

I don't know any of your statistics, so just as a "pull it out of my *kitten*" suggestion I'd say cut back to walking or (not 'and') running and one class most days, and at least one day a week just walk, drop your calories down to around 2000, give it a month and see what happens.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Think of diet as your weight loss plan and exercise as health for your organs etc... If you lose weight from exercise consider it a bonus but do not neglect the importance of it or allow it to be jaded by the lack of weight loss.

Not totally on topic, but maybe you just need a shift in perspective. :)
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    MFP **WAY** overestimates calories burned via exercise in my experience. Do you have a heartrate monitor?

Personally, i'm one of the people that doesn't eat back exercise calories (i do eat more on intense workout days, just not as much as MFP seems to think i should).
  • barbielovesgym
    Options
    You are eating way too much...
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I lose at 3100 calories, what's insane about it? Calories in vs. calories out. There are people on here that lose at 4k, it's all about the math and your effort.

M
    5'10
    180 lbs
    The original poster is a woman, though, so I'd imagine her metabolism and calorie burn is probably closer to mine than yours. The exercise she listed doesn't seem to come anywhere close allowing her to eat 3100 calories and be at a deficit.

Mostly though my concern was her plan to quit working out and just cut her intake in half, that's a really unhealthy strategy. She's much better off following the advice of others in this thread: get a HRM for accurate calories burned and trade some cardio for strength training.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you use a hrm but mft estimates for exercise burn is not always accurate. Although I am sure some can lose weight eating 3000 calories a day, they would have to be particularly heavy to begin, or do a heck of a lot of exercise. My goal intake today is 2700 after 45 minutes on an elliptical, walking and 20 mins interval training on a stationary bike. I set my activity level to sedentary, use a hrm for my exercise and a fitbit for everything outside of that.

And actually, it is not that hard to reach that eating healthy things, I manage it just fine and am maintaining at the bottom end of a healthy bmi for my height. But to lose weight, I cannot imagine eating that much, I would suggest keeping your cardio to an hour 3-5 times a week and doing some strength training a few times a week, but giving exercise up seems a little crazy as it is not just about losing weight, it is about health.
  • rgrewall
    rgrewall Posts: 22
    Options
    Using this tool should help you figure it out if you are putting in the foods honestly. You might also just be seeking attention. Who joins a site like this and says they want to quit?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    7584267_8471.jpg

I really don't have anything to contribute to this thread... mostly because the original premise makes my face hurt.

However, I have to say, as 24 year martial artist and father of 4... that "Napout" t-shirt Magerum's son is wearing is the single greatest thing, I have ever seen, ever.

I shall now Google until I find many, many of these.

Bwahaha, thanks! I thought so too, I bought it in the next coupld sizes to make sure he had one for a while.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you love the exercise, and plan for it to be a part of your lifestyle for years to come, then don't stop. It might help to stop trying to eat all those caloried "back" and start listening to your body for hunger signs and allowing some occsional reasonable splurges. Changing up your exercise/eating routine from time-to-time can make things more interesting and I think does "surprise" your body into weight-loss. Keep me posted on how you're doing, whatever you decide....good luck!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you quit working out you will lose the abilities you have gained. Then when you decide to workout again everything will be super hard again. Keep going, try something new.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Agree w/many others, stopping exercise is not the answer but I would suggest changing it to strength training 3 days a week and 2 days of cardio.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It isn't the exercise that is hindering your weightloss. Just make changes to your diet until you start losing. Eliminating exercise is the last thing you should do though. A good strength program and a bit of cardio can do wonders for your goals but if you are not eating right then you won't see the changes. It mostly comes down to diet in losing weight.