Men and Women are so different

Options

Replies

• winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Uh, this is pretty stereotypical. And not true for me at all. I think you're making it seem as though women don't know how to handle money. Well, maybe that's true about some women, but for the most part they're practical and capable. Men, on the other hand, can't read faces or body language for beans and therefore tend to communicate poorly. If you ask me, it's men who need women, not the other way around.

Anyway, I hate shopping so this certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

First of all, I said right up front that I was talking about MY observations about the women in MY life.

Second of all, it was meant as an antecdotal funny story.

Thirdly, the women in my MY life are MY life and make their own decisions always with MY total support.

Fourth, lighten up and relax. I wasn't putting women down. No need to forward my story to Gloria Steinem.

Love the Gloria Steinem reference. I was going to say no need to get your knickers in a wad. I know many women like this, and before I put the bulk of my weight on, I was like this, and now hope to be like this again. And I have a little one in training. I get compliments from other women in department stores when I take my nine-year-old daughter with me. She knows what she likes, what looks good on me, and isn't afraid to voice her opinion. :bigsmile:
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Everything I wear is bought by a woman. I only shop for tools guns and home remodeling supplies.

Just the way it is!

This is so my husband. I once took him grocery shopping with me, and we split the list. I mistakenly wrote, "cream of cream of mushroom soup." I found him a half hour later in the soup aisle all flustered because he couldn't find the cream of cream of mushroom soup. I don't think he's stepped foot inside a grocery store since.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Clothing - I hate shopping for clothing. I think I've been twice in 2 months for things like graduation for my little sister and the fact my jeans were no longer 'work acceptable' because I wear my jeans out from use...Argh...

Now, you send me into a craft store, I am so sorry.....

This is so me!

I get most of my clothes off Ebay, 'cause I hate shopping so much.

But fabric & books thats a whole other story.:laugh:

Guilty, too. :blushing: :blushing:
  • crooks_RN
    crooks_RN Posts: 69
    Options
    Here's my shopping quirk. Every spring I go on line and buy all new socks and underpanties. Then, when we go on vacation, I take my old ones with me. Each day I toss what I wore that day. When we get back from vacation I open up all the new stuff.

This is an awesome idea!!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Men spend $3 for a $2 item they need
    Women spend $1 for a $2 item they don't need

It was a fun read you wrote sir!

Genius! This is the absolute truth in my house.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You said underpanties!!:laugh:

You made me laugh out loud when I got to the guy's part! Plus it made me wonder why guys will ask for directions in a small store but not on the road... :wink:

I will say that the only time I'm out shopping for a long time is when I AM looking for something in particular... I have a weird waist and picky tastes, otherwise I don't like being out for long, and ordering online is a joke. I don't like to spend full price for things, and just today I got home from the grocery store and was super proud of myself for saving 34%. I did not keep it to myself. :happy:
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    LOL!!:laugh: My hubby begs me to tag along to help him pick out clothes and willingly tries on anything I pick out - as long as it doesn't take too long :wink:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh...I love shopping for men! :P

I just measure them when they're not looking..
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    Apparently this is one reason my husband tells me I am SO DIFFERENT from most women. Per your example, I totally shop like a guy. And then only when I'm forced to because my 25+ year old clothes have finally worn out. I hate clothes shopping. Hate it. Shoe shopping is even worse.

If I had oodles of money I would gladly pay someone like Stacey or Clinton to take my measurements and just go shop for me.

Don't despair, guys - there ARE a few of us out there!! :D

im with ya.. my shoes need to have holes before i get new ones..
    i do buy clothing.. but mostly from tagsales and good will. I am as cheap as they come..
    however.. I always look nice.. i can make a $3 outfit look like a thousand.. :)
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    This is true for most women! I have gotten better but I still get a little carried away going shopping a couple times a year or for special occasians! I hate the mall now though! My husband doesn't seem to understand and he is perfectly content with clothes and even wears clothes that he wore from high school (he is 35 now) To be honest though if I could fit in the same clothes I did in school I would!
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Clothing - I hate shopping for clothing. I think I've been twice in 2 months for things like graduation for my little sister and the fact my jeans were no longer 'work acceptable' because I wear my jeans out from use...Argh...

Now, you send me into a craft store, I am so sorry.....

HAHA! This is SO ME! I wear my clothes till they have holes in them. Change two months to two years. I have been shopping three times in the past two years. I LOATHE clothes shopping.

On the other hand....book stores or craft stores--I could spend literally all day in there. And come out broke.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't like to shop. :P my children's dad liked to shop. If I don't have the cash, i don't buy ...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Haha this was so like me when I was younger! Only reason I'm not like that now is finances - I guarantee, once I have a FT job I'll be enjoying going clothes shopping again! (and showing my bf EVERY purchase)

The only exception is shoes. I would love to go shoe shopping and have lots of lovely pairs. However, I really can't walk in heels without pain, I have a few pairs for nights out, special occasions etc but I don't wear them enough to justify lots of pairs. Flats are quite boring to shop for, there's only so many you can buy, right?
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    lol, that was brilliant. Maybe I shouldn't be showing father all my purchases!

Is this a guy thing? My Father is completely content with wearing clothes that are 20 years old. He doesn't see any difference between his "good" clothes and work clothes. He owns shoes for a millenia.

Of course you should show him. He doesn't necessarily care about your purchases, but he cares that you are sharing with him.

Oh and the shoes? What\'s with that? I need a pair of flip flops for around the house. A pair of dress shoes that I only wear to Weddings and Funerals. Motorcycle Boots. 2 pair of Tennies. 1 for wearing around the house and 1 for formal occassions.
    And 3 pairs of soccer shoes. Outdoor, Indoor, Special Turf .

Oh, this made me laugh. My Boyfriend jokes that if we ever live together he'll start putting restrictions on my shoe collection.

"You can have 12, and supplement it with a firearm." "12 pairs? Oh, that's not so bad." "..12 SHOES, dear."

He has smart shoes, runnning shoes, and 3 pairs of combat boots. I have ballet flats ( plus actual ballet shoes for doing ballet) ,2 pairs gladiator sandals ( one red leather , one black) , vans type casual shoes, converse sneakers, low heel boots for shopping/school, low heel work shoes, flat cowboy boots, wellies, 2 pairs of wedges, a pair of red stilettos, a pair of grey ankles boots that my dog chewed but I refuse to get rid of because my Grandma bought me them when I was 15, and I only wore them once and I'm determined to fix them one day.. Oh, and some grey heels I wore for a wedding that hurt to walk in. That's.. 14. I could get that down to 8. At a pinch.

Oh. That may be a problem.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Last Friday, before I left work, a gal here asked what I was doing over the weekend. Told her I was going to see Magic Mike with my daughter and wife. She kind of cocked her head to the side and looked at me funny. "Really?"
    Me: "Yep."
    Her: "Why would a guy go see Magic Mike?"
    Me: "My daughter is coming home for the weekend. If I want to spend time with her, I either go to see Magic Mike with her and my wife or I go shopping with them."

Anyways, went to see Magic Mike on Saturday.

Sunday morning, as wife and I are running errands, I mention my conversation with my co-worker to my wife.

Her Comment: "We weren't shopping on Saturday."
    Me: "You bought 4 pairs of shoes."
    Wife: "We got those as a favor to Ann. With Holland's discount, we were able to save Ann some money." (Ann has her own store)
    Me: "You came home with 2 Coach Bags and a black cocktail dress."
    Wife: " Those were gifts from Ann for picking the shoes up for her."
    Me: "Didn't I hear you say that you two ordered three more Coach Bags?"
    Wife: No Reply. Just a look that perhaps I should let it drop.
    Me: "Didn't you go to Winco, too?"
    Wife: (Disturbed, what's your point look.) "Just picking up snacks from the Bulk section for the Movies."
    Me: "I guess I misunderstood. But..... I'd rather have seen the movie anyways; instead of driving around with you guys for 4 1/2 hours NOT shopping."
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    ***Disclaimer -- This information is based solely on the observations of Road Dog. Men should not attempt to discuss this with the women in their life.

I guess my brain is not hardwired to understand how women shop. I’m married. Have three daughters, 2 granddaughters, 3 sisters-in-law, 2 sisters. I feel qualified to address the issue.

Here’s how women shop.
    Are they out looking for something they need? Nope. Between my wife and daughters alone, they have enough shoes between them to open their own high-end shoe store. Are they wearing tattered clothes to work every day? Nope.I had to build a closet downstairs for MY clothing, because my wife takes up the Master Bedroom closet, the guest bedroom closet, and, not that my youngest is off to college, my wife has started moving clothes into her old closet.
    So what’s the deal with shopping? It ain’t need.
    And the manner in which they shop? I don’t ask, but here’s what I might hear as they ready for shopping safari:
    “They’re having a sale at…..”
    “I’ve got an additional 30% off coupon.”
    “I have an additional 20% off my last receipt is I use it by….”
    Off they go. They’re also armed with a couple “Buy One Get One” coupon as well. There’s a pot of coffee on the counter, but they just got their Gold Card from Starbucks, so that’s their first stop. Lunch somewhere in the middle of the shopping spree is a given.

Now, they may not even have an item to purchase in mind, but that coupon expires by the end of the week and letting it expire unused is unheard of.
    They’re gone all day. Here’s where I’m lost, because I don’t ask what they’ve done while they are out. But, they might come back with 3 bags, several items, and, they want to show every single one to me. I get a rundown on the reason they bought these particular items:
    “This matches my magenta blouse.”
    “I needed these shoes for so and so’s retirement party.”
    “You love the way I look in the red one, so I got a matching blue one.”
    I haven’t even scratched the surface.
    Oh. They don’t tell you how much they spent. Not that I care. What they tell you is how much they saved:
    “Combined a 1 day sale item with my BOGO and the 20% coupon. Saved $17.00”

It’s not over either. Several of the items are going back next week to be exchanged and/or credited to their account. Thus allowing for the cycle to begin again.

Here’s how this man shops.
    I need a black shirt. First, I go on-line and Google “Black Shirts”. Most of the time, this does it. I order a black shirt on the Internet.
    Let’s say I can’t find a black shirt on line. Highly unlikely, but it happens. I head to a store that sells black shirts. Park, Go in. Go straight to the black shirt rack. Now…if I don’t know where the black shirt rack is, I don’t go up and down every aisle looking for it. I look for the sales person and ask for the directions. I’m now at the black shirt rack. I find one very quickly. If I really like it, I buy several, so I don’t have to go through this again anytime soon. I rarely buy any other item except the black shirt. If I happen to buy something on impulse, it’s because it is on the most direct route from the black shirt rack to the cash register. Even then, it’s unlikely, unless there is some cute, busty clerk in a low cut top waving me over.
    I pay for my purchase and go home. No, I don’t want a store credit card, so I can save 20% on my next purchase. No, I don’t want to sign up for the preferred customer’s club. No, I don’t have a coupon.

If, for some reason, I get home and decide in a few days I don’t really like it, do I take it back? Nope. I’ll be polishing my motorcycle with it.

LMBO That is so true! And don't get me started on purses! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My son can't understand why I need yet another purse. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping and the mall scares me.

But I'm pretty sure you're dead on when it comes to the majority of men/women shoppers.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I tried hard to be offended.......but I'm soooooo guilty! :laugh:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am obviously a man, going by your description, my Husband has more clothes than me...
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    women love to shop. it makes us feel good...

that being said, im such a tightwad and dont shop very often. but your post made me want to go shopping =)