Couch to 5K? Anyone wanna try it too?

Options

Replies

• berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Tessa - I can tell you what my bf does as he is a hardcore runner and can pop out thirty minutes like it's nothing. Whenever he wears out a pair he'll look for a new pair. Then he only wears the new ones walking, like 10 to 15 minutes. He'll do that for a month and then he'll just alternate that pair with the old pair while running. I know blisters can be painful and make it hell to walk or run and you don't want to feel that way towards it. Do you have any old pair of sneaker you can wear until you can get some walking in on your new ones? Or maybe thicker socks until it heals? Let me know how it goes!
  • lillianelise
    lillianelise Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Today is an off day for me but tomorrow will be week 2 day 1. I think it's alternating 90 seconds of jogging w 2 mins of walking for 20 mins with a 5 min warm up and a 5 min cool down. I'm determined to see this thru. I may try to do a 5k in Sept. We will see! I hope so!!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is week 4, day 3 for me. It's surprising how much I enjoy it, although the heat/humidity sucks a bit lately. Definitely give it a go, you'll amaze yourself.
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect post for me! I too am new to the whole jogging/running thing AND I too am participating in a 10K in April! I know that's a long way off, but I have never jogged before and have had knee problems off and on for the last 3 years. So, needless to say, I am taking it very slow. I am fortunate enough to have a treadmill at home and that has allowed me to work up to going to the track at our local high school. Just this week I have started out by walking a mile as a warm up and then jog for a tenth (1 lap) of a mile, then walking a tenth, alternating until I have completed 3 miles. It usually takes me 45-50 minutes. I feel great so far! I'm trying to decide how long to wait until I try to jog .5 miles at one time. I don't want to push it and injure my knee.

I have an iPhone and I'm very challenged...lol. I don't have a clue as to how much my phone can do! I am going to download the app and see how it goes! Thanks for the input and feel free to friend me for support! Good luck to all of ya'll...you are doing a great job!
  • EJand94
    EJand94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've started it once. But didn't continue. I'd love to start it up again! I'm in!
  • megan24209
    megan24209 Posts: 23
    Options
    Started my Couch to 5K program today. I am following the app I downloaded. I feel so excited to continue on this program!

I am so motivated because I already signed up for my 5K. It will be on Sept 15.

The 5K is for Ovarian Cancer research which has such a special meaning to me because my 16 year old cousin was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer and is now in remission. If she has the strength to battle cancer and high school- I can certainly run a 5K in support.

It is also of special meaning because around September of last year I was bedridden, unable to perform daily functions for myself. I was recovering from back surgery and completely dependent on my significant other to help me perform the most basic tasks. I felt so weak and defeated. I never thought a year later I would be able to walk without crutches, let alone run a 5K.

It will be such an accomplishment for me and proof that chronic pain will not rule my life. I can't wait! :)

Would love to hear updates from everyone about their experiences as we continue.
    31094756 Posts: 2
    Options
    Tomorrow is actually my last day for Couch to 5k!!! I am definitely not a runner, whatsoever, but this program has helped get up to running 30 minutes straight.

Last October I quit the program on Week 6, I just lost motivation... Now, this time around Week 6 was brutal again, but I pushed through it. I did have to do certain days twice, just to be comfortable with the amount of running.

Also, somedays I skipped the rest day in between. I'm in generally decent shape and had no problems with this -- just an FYI if you want to make the process go by faster

ENJOY! It's a great program. You finish every workout feeling SO accomplished!! Best of luck.
  • geco1983
    geco1983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!

I never did something like this before - but I hope I will stick to it!!
    Would love to do a run with my dog without dying of beeing out of breath!

I hope to enjoy that programm - hopefully I get some new friends for support or leatwise to kick my lasy butt to stay tuned to it!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sunday will see me finishing the 9 week C25K program and I am amazed at the progress. 2 months ago I would never thought I would be running 30 minutes straight and as of tonight almost making 6kms in that time.

I am doing a 5km run in just over a week now and I am hoping for a sub 26 minute time.

IMO a great program ... stick with it and it does work
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a c25k with a free iphone app and I'm on week 2 day 3 next. I used to hate running outside but the walking/running format makes it so doable and I can notice a huge difference in how I look and feel already. Have been doing it slightly more than the recommended 3 x a week but will be away this week so not able to get any done. Loving it!
  • karensouliere
    karensouliere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, how are you doing? I did the couch to 5k last year and was very successful and now I've signed up for a 10k this fall. I just started training for that. I'm hoping to run the entire race. Have you signed up for any 5k yets?
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Have been seriously considering this. Have never been a runner but am always up for a challenge and a new way to get to my goal weight.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's a great program --- It works. Maybe I should get off my butt and do it again. :)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program last Fall and am still running! Getting started was the most difficult thing I have ever done and if I had not promised my Sister that I would do it with her, it would never have happened. BUT, the two of us finished the program and now I am ready to run a Half Marathon! Keep it up~you can do it~
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I live in NC and so it is hot here, don't know if it's hotter where you are. With this heat wave I've been getting up early (which I hate because I am on summer vacation) but it's worth it. I walked/ran this morning at nine and it was about 80 degrees which wasn't bad at all. Early evening would be good too, once it cools down. I don't have a treadmill, so I must run outside, so maybe June/July/August wasn't the greatest time to start this but I'm going to stick with it.

Please PLEASE be careful... this heat is dangerous - especially for someone who is just starting a running program. The extreme heat overworks your heart (I'm in MD and this is EXTREME heat!) and the added stress of pushing a new fitness program can get you into trouble. I'm not saying don't do it, but get out a lot earlier than 9am --- I'm out at 6am and it's still sapping my energy.

That said, good for you!
  • karensouliere
    karensouliere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should be able to run without huffing and puffing. If you can't sign the song on your iPod while running, your running to fast. I was amazed when I slowed my running down, how much better and longer I could run. When I first start running, I breath in my nose, swollow and and blow it out; I'll do this 2 or 3 times. Not sure if it's expanding my lungs or what, but I seem to be able to run and breath better.
  • jnthwaite
    jnthwaite Posts: 111
    Options
    It would be good. It might help me with my asthma starting slowly. I'd like to say yes, but I'll have to see if I can schedule it. :)
  • ohmyjustme
    ohmyjustme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for this suggestion- I just downloaded the app & am eager to try it out!! Funny, I teach cardio classes at the gym, but I hate to run!!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I would kill for some of that heat to run in. Currently my runs are being done wearing 2 tshirts a hoodie a beanies and often a water/ wind proof jacket so I don't die of hypothermia.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so excited to see so many people who have done C25K, are doing it, or are going to start. It makes me feel motivated :). Today ends week 3 for me. I walked 5, ran 7, walked 5. And for me that was quite an accomplishment, especially since I wasn't dragging at the end. Yeah I was huffing a little, my calves were burning just a bit, but I was enjoying running! I know 7 doesn't sound like much, but I never ran for more than a minute before, so it was a lot to me!

Feel free to friend me . . . I could use lots of support from friends who are doing the same thing!