Who are you? A Trekie, or a Whovie. The ultimate debate.

Options

Replies

• SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I loved watching Star Trek with my grandpa when I was little, and I cannot for the life of me get into Doctor Who. The first episode was just kind of dumb, bad acting, and camera-ing, if that's a word. Doctor Who as a character, I loved... the show, ick. I've always been more into Star Wars > Trek anyway. If that wasn't apparent.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    Trekkie (TOS). Tried Dr Who a few times, but it just didn't appeal to me.

same here, it was like... :huh:
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    No love for Stargate?

I love Stargate, all three. Watching SG-1 on Netflix right now.
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whovie here! And yes, David Tennant is my doctor :)

Allons-y!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    See - I don't even know what's going on here... I have heard of a "Trekie" But what the heck is a "Whovie"?
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    trekkie before I got into Dr. Who, definitely David Tennant for me too :)
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've always been a Trek fan - it ties into some childhood memories with my dad. :heart:

I don't dislike Dr. Who (my parents, who are both Trek fans as well, watch the show religiously), but I'm one of "those" people who likes to watch things from the beginning and I feel dirty picking up on the show when I haven't seen it from the beginning. And I just don't have that kind of time right now.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    All of them... I love Spock, Kirk, etc and I love Tom Baker and David T. My husband's fave is Tom Baker.

My favorite companion is Billie Piper as Rose but I have not seen all the companions yet!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Both and then some, but for me Tom Baker IS Doctor Who. I started watching Dr Who in college back during the Stone Age, and have been a Trek fan since the original series.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Wait, there's a choice that needs to be made?

I have watched every single Doctor Who episode, starting with William Hartnell in "An Unearthly Child" and concluding with the latest Matt Smith season. Twice. In some cases for particularly good or memorable episodes, many times. Including every single reconstruction done from the preserved audiotapes and set stills for those episodes lost in the BBC archive files that are permanently lost. And the various animated series developed over the years. Plus the spinoff series "Torchwood". I'm a practical walking encyclopedia of Whovianism. I have met and shaken the hand of one of the actors (Sylvester McCoy), and been mistaken for one at a convention. I have a decent collection of spinoff novels in my collection. It's a fun universe that offers a lot of imaginative possibilities.

I have also watched every single thing in the Star Trek universe and amassed a collection of several hundred spinoff novels. While my fascination with Trek does not run as deep as Who, I still find the universe interesting and a foundation for a lot of fascinating creative works.

I don't understand the "debate". Both are fictional launchpads for frequently great (and occasionally awful) stories.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Trekkie. Started watching the original Star Trek in re-runs when I was a kid in the late 1970s/early 1980s...like all of the newer spin-offs as well :smokin:
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Love 'em both. Picard was totally the man, but then I met the Doctor, and life has never been the same. And surprisingly, I can honestly say that Matt Smith is my current favorite. I thought I would hate him, but I'm finding his manic personality both childlike and dangerous, which just kinda works.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    No love for Stargate?

good point! :)
  • elysianashes
    elysianashes Posts: 100
    Options
    Whovian here ("Whovie" is a new one on me...)! Caught a few of the original series when I was little (way back in the early 80s) and had no idea what was going on. Started watching the new series at the beginning of Matt Smith's reign, and quickly caught up with the rest of it. Matt Smith is still my favorite though :) He has a lot of heart.

I grew up watching Star Trek (TOS and TNG, and later DS9) and loved it but wouldn't call myself a Trekkie or a Trekker.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    img-thing.jpg
  • cdnwinter79
    Options
    I have to admit, I've never watched Dr. Who. I am however a big fan of Star Trek. I am in LOVE with Captain Picard :)
  • cdnwinter79
    Options
    img-thing.jpg

Oh yes! Also a favourite of mine :D
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    both..started with tom baker and william shatner

catching up on dr who on netflix now...just about finished with season two. i watch eposides while doing the ellipitical sometimes makes it easy to log 40 minutes

now with all that said i know its the wrong theme but i have to make a shout out to sherlock
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Allons-y, Allonzo!

i love the tenth doctor :)
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was 12 years old when I went to my first Dr. Who convention. I bought a Tom Baker poster, button and the pattern for how to make that nifty scarf he wore! :)