Chickpeas

Options
kssnyd65
kssnyd65 Posts: 23 Member
I bought a bag of dry chickpeas today (they didn't have canned) and I am soaking them in the fridge tonight. My question is, how long can they soak before I cook them? Thanks.

Replies

• Iselia
    Iselia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    According to the Veganomicon cookbook, you should soak them overnight (or ~8 hours) and then simmer them for 1.5 hours.
  • iadtj4m
    iadtj4m Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can cook them in a little over an hour in a pressure cooker without having to soak them at all! Alton Brown has a fantastic basic recipe.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just go off the instructions on the bag -- mine say to boil for 2 min, then soak for an hour. At that point, I just throw them in whatever I'm cooking (usually soup), where they might get 5-10 minutes more heat -- and I freeze the leftover beans for later (much quicker to thaw cooked beans than start from scratch!).
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I normally soak mine overnight and boil them then use them! I do love them! :)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight ...... drain them and cook them in the crock pot all day.,,,,,,they are so easy and cook perfect this way. You don't have to watch them or make sure they don't cook dry.
  • kssnyd65
    kssnyd65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am boiling them now and am going to use them in a mexican salad with black beans and corn. I am looking forward to trying new recipes with them (hummus or roasted).