Hello, I am new

Options
tkdlady
tkdlady Posts: 4 Member
Hi. I have a friend who directed me to this site after asking about losing weight and telling her I don't like counting calories. I was also curious if anyone is or has used the Wii Fit or other exercise games with Wii to help with the exercise. I am considering buying the Wii game box and one of these games. Don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    Hello & welcome! Wii fit helped me immensely, but I had fallen so badly out of shape starting an exercise routine was out of the question. I was wiped out, badly fatigued and in pain if I stood up for longer than 5- 10 minutes.
    My mom bought wii fit and lost 25 lbs. in 6 weeks, I splurged and got myself one too. I started only doing the most simple balance games and stretches. It eased me back into being active. I still use it a few times a week to work out, but I weigh in nearly every day.
    The Wii board is more accurate than my bathroom scale. It logs your progress too. I love being able to see my weight loss on a chart, it's a big boost when I'm needing a little push to get up and exercise.
    I am a lot more active now, I've worked myself up to real world exercise and I owe that to Wii Fit.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a friend who directed me to this site after asking about losing weight and telling her I don't like counting calories. I was also curious if anyone is or has used the Wii Fit or other exercise games with Wii to help with the exercise. I am considering buying the Wii game box and one of these games. Don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it. Thanks for any input.

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    My husband bought me the Wii and Wii Fit a few weeks ago. My favorite is the jogging, because you REALLY feel like you're jogging along paths instead of just in your living room! I also exercise by taking a walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) and dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    The dancing and walking are free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time I'm dancing, so I never get bored! :smile:
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Welcome! So glad to find another person who hates counting calories. I have never done it before and this site was extremely helpful in guiding me how to do that. It definetly was a big eye opener on what I consume daily! I have been eating 2,000 cals per day and in almost 2 weeks I have lost 4 pounds!

I have the wii fit and also the recently released wii active. Let me just say how much I loooove it! The wii active is a program that gives you a 30 day challenge and every day is different. Plus you can put it on different intensities. You can use the wii active with the wii fit board, but it's not necessary. So I reccommend the wii/wii active. It's hard to believe that a videogame would give you a good workout, but it really does.

I would say it is definetly worth the money, but not necessary if you already have a plan in place as far as working out goes. Maybe your local video store rents the wii systems and the game and you can try it that way first, that way you know if you really want to invest in it. If they don't rent the wii active game but rent out the wii system you can always buy it then maybe sell it on ebay if you decide it isn't for you. That way you're only investing about $60 instead of $300!

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • PuppyLove
    PuppyLove Posts: 2
    Options
    I am new too. Let me tell you how much I love my Wii Fit and even more Wii Active. They are so great. I have gone from exercising once a day to 2 and 3 times just because I love using the Fit and the new Active game. It helps you track your progress and changes up the exercises so you don't get bored. I would definitely tell you to invest the money. It has really helped me to take my fitness goals to the next level.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site. I do. This site is so motivational, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so great here. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • tkdlady
    tkdlady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I did buy the Wii with the Wii Active and I do like it. I don't do it as much as I need to and am trying to get motivated to do it more often. I may get the Wii Fit for Christmas just so I have a variety. I need to start coming her more often for the motivation if nothing else. Thanks again.