would you date someone significantly shorter than you?

Options

Replies

• ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Seems shallow to feel that way.

I know that's why I feel bad for even having these hesitations. On one hand I feel like a shallow ***** and I probably don't even deserve him if he truly is a really nice guy... but on the other hand I feel like I'm going out with him because I have to...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I know that's why I feel bad for even having these hesitations. On one hand I feel like a shallow ***** and I probably don't even deserve him if he truly is a really nice guy... but on the other hand I feel like I'm going out with him because I have to...

There is NOTHING wrong with having preference about certain height, certain weight or whatever certain

I know a few girls who've passed up multiple opportunities to be with very nice, decent looking and stable financially guys just to be with drug dealers and woman beaters just because its more exciting life to be with them. Those girls I call stupid. But thats besides the point I think...
  • ProjectTae
    Options

There is NOTHING wrong with having preference about certain height, certain weight or whatever certain

I know a few girls who've passed up multiple opportunities to be with very nice, decent looking and stable financially guys just to be with drug dealers and woman beaters just because its more exciting life to be with them. Those girls I call stupid. But thats besides the point I think...

Thanks that makes me feel better. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to tell people no in any circumstance, In the past I've ended up in a year long relationship with someone I wasn't particularly attracted to physically or personalty wise (He dumped me for not showing enough affection). Not saying this is the same scenario, but I don't know. I've already agreed to the date so no turning back now, and who knows I might have fun... But I'm not sure I'd want to pursue the relationship even so and I feel pretty bad about that.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    For me, it would be a combination of factors. Personally, I prefer tall guys, especially 6' and up. I come from a family of tall people, from the two tallest ethnicities in the world, actually. I'm kind of used to being the short one, and maybe I still have some of that deep-rooted, subconscious belief that women should be the diminutive ones in the group. However, I try to remember that there may be a guy who is GREAT on so many other levels, and it would be a shame to veto even going out on a date or two with him over a few inches of height. There should always be exceptions to these kinds of "rules", especially for women who are, themselves, on the tall side. "Guys under 5' 9" is a pretty big group to rule out. Hell, I may like tall guys, but I think Peter Dinklage is kind of hot... and he's a 4' 5", achondroplastic dwarf (but an awesomely talented actor, dammit).

You're single and looking, and the poor guy has waited 3 years to muster up the nerve to ask you out... so I say, go out with him and get to know him better. You may find that he's a great match in ways that make you forget about the height difference, or you may find that he's a total bore. You won't know until you try. It's only a date, not a wedding.
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    For me, it would be a combination of factors. Personally, I prefer tall guys, especially 6' and up. I come from a family of tall people, from the two tallest ethnicities in the world, actually. I'm kind of used to being the short one, and maybe I still have some of that deep-rooted, subconscious belief that women should be the diminutive ones in the group. However, I try to remember that there may be a guy who is GREAT on so many other levels, and it would be a shame to veto even going out on a date or two with him over a few inches of height. There should always be exceptions to these kinds of "rules", especially for women who are, themselves, on the tall side. "Guys under 5' 9" is a pretty big group to rule out. Hell, I may like tall guys, but I think Peter Dinklage is kind of hot... and he's a 4' 5", achondroplastic dwarf (but an awesomely talented actor, dammit).

You're single and looking, and the poor guy has waited 3 years to muster up the nerve to ask you out... so I say, go out with him and get to know him better. You may find that he's a great match in ways that make you forget about the height difference, or you may find that he's a total bore. You won't know until you try. It's only a date, not a wedding.

I've agreed to go out with him and you're right who knows maybe I'll have a great time. It's going to be a little sad putting my babies to rest (my heels I'm not that confident!)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    -deleted-
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If he's been crushing for 3 years then he must really really like you and deserves a chance, it's not his fault he's short.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes i would You can make a friend out of your date if you don't have a chemistry You fall for a personality, not for a body
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Guys date girls who are shorter than them all the time! I don't see the issue, height makes no difference to anything important.

Give your feet a break and wear some flats on your date, keep an open mind, and enjoy yourself!
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Nah I don't mind.
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    Guys date girls who are shorter than them all the time! I don't see the issue, height makes no difference to anything important.

Give your feet a break and wear some flats on your date, keep an open mind, and enjoy yourself!

I will :) can't believe i'm saying this but I hope we don't go anywhere nice because the smallest pair I own are 3 inches. Although I'd be willing to invest in a dressy pair of flats for the occasion.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Its shallow to have preference? I prefer girls who're under the age of 50. Makes me shallow? (And yes, I am aware Michelle Pfeiffer is over 50 sadly)

This made me laugh... If it helps, Anne Hathaway could be your young new Catwoman :love:
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it would have stopped me, but it would have felt weird dating a woman taller than me. I'm 6'4", so the odds of me being taller have always been in my favor. However, I dealt with a female client last week who was a full 3" taller than me and I'm not sure I would have ever been comfortable dating a woman that tall. My wife is, however, 17" shorter than me. She's 4'11" to my 6'4", so I'm glad she didn't have a thing about dating guys significantly taller than her.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's shallow. I wouldn't have dated someone shorter than me, either. They can be great guys but I just don't find that attractive. I'm only 5'2 though. My husband is 5'10 or so, he's actually the shortest guy I dated. My other boyfriends were all 6ft+, the tallest being like 6'7.
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think short women are Hott :)
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I dig 'em around 5'3", but that's kind of irrelevent since guys are typically the tall one. It's odd to find chicks taller than me in general and it would probably be weird to date one. All that said, I don't think there's a gentle way to go about it. Just gotta bust out with, "You're too short, dude."
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    For me to date someone significantly shorter than me, they would have to be under 10 years old...not cool.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't know, becaue what about when you wear heels then.....
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I say keep an open mind and go out with him at least once. You might enjoy his company so much that you forget the height difference.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I'm little: 5'2" so I would most definitely not date someone who was significantly shorter than me nor would I date someone who was just a little taller than me. I personally like tall men. I feel protected around them for one and I like to wear very high heels and would not want to tower over someone. Even in my highest heels I'm still not as tall as my husband.