Chinese Takeaway

Options
Tonight as its my boyfriend and I's anniversary :) he wants to get chinese food! I'm slighty panicking though, what do I get?!
Does Smoked Chicken with Boiled Rice sound okay? Or Baked Salt n Chili Chicken Wings with Boiled Rice?
How many calories would you estimate to be in both these meals as they are not in the database.
(My daily cal goal is 1600 and before Dinner I'll have consumed 750 approx.)

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I do chinese I usually do Beef and broccoli and instead of rice or noodles I get steamed veggies. Hope you find your answer :flowerforyou:
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I would definitely stear clear of the chicken wings!

Maybe some wonton soup? Or chicken brocolli? Chicken chow mein?
    Add a very small portion of steamed rice if required...
  • DiamondEyes_x
    DiamondEyes_x Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One meal won't kill you, just enjoy it!
  • njh2008
    njh2008 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Egg fu yung?
    Mixed Veg in black bean sauce?
    chow mein?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Not chow mein either, it's fried! I love Chinese food but is a bit of a nightmare for calorie and salt. Anything steamed or poached. Seasonal greens. Otherwise go for chicken (don't eat the skin) or beef with vegetables. Black bean or oyster sauce are not too bad...
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is typically very high in fat and nortoriously hard to get the calorie count for! i suggest you treat this as a non-diet day, or do lots of exercise before.

Also, why would you need cereal and banana after a takeaway? Why not forget about having that after it as you shouldn't really be hungry or need the extra calories.
  • mrsrevell
    mrsrevell Posts: 4
    Options

This!
    One meal won't make you fat, just like one meal won't make you skinny!
    Enjoy xx
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Having a cheat meal once in a while is good for your metabolism. If it was me, I'd have the meal, make reasonably healthy choices while still choosing something i know I'll enjoy, and not count/log the calories for that meal. Then go right back to tracking/logging after the meal. Doing an extra weights workout the next day can help to ensure that any calorie excess from the cheat meal goes to the muscles not the waistline.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I go with the General Tso Chicken, pork friend rice and 2 shrimp egg rolls.
    And of course, a diet coke :drinker:

I offset the meal with more exercise which is what great about eating back exercise calories.
    Or, in some cases just call it a "free day".

Sometimes, life is to be just lived...
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    They leave the skin on chicken wings. Chicken wings are notoriously high in fat and calories stay clear always, unless they are from a package with an accurate calorie count on the back.
  • skyscraperxo
    Options
    Thanks guys :)I think since it's a special day I might have my FAVOURITE which is the smoked chicken ( its delicious !! :) ) & I haven't had it since August of last year...i'm recovering from a eating disorder so the idea of this is a bit daunting. I'm not concerned about losing weight its more of a maintenance kind of thing, and I suppose your right one meal isn't going to hurt...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! Relax and enjoy your meal - eating better isn't a prison sentence, it's ok to indulge yourself occasionally unless you plan on never eating Chinese or Indian (that's what we had last night!) or whatever other takeout you may enjoy for the rest of your life .
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Having a cheat meal once in a while is good for your metabolism. If it was me, I'd have the meal, make reasonably healthy choices while still choosing something i know I'll enjoy, and not count/log the calories for that meal. Then go right back to tracking/logging after the meal. Doing an extra weights workout the next day can help to ensure that any calorie excess from the cheat meal goes to the muscles not the waistline.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Again, life is to be lived.
    Starvation diets are unsustainable and no fun, so beware that herd mentality.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options

This!
    One meal won't make you fat, just like one meal won't make you skinny!
    Enjoy xx

You get one anniversery a year, enjoy it and go for a run in the morning xx
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    When I have Chinese I have whatever i want. Chinese is my ultimate favourite and I begrudge paying for a meal and having something I wont enjoy that much.

My favourite is Lemon chicken with chips and prawn crackers.... ummmm (salivating). I also love beef and black bean.

Really really want a Chinese now!!!!
  • johnsd8
    johnsd8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chicken in Black Bean sauce and Boiled rice is a good option... I found the below article which is good.

Chinese
    A lot of oil is used in Chinese cooking and many dishes are deep-fried. But surprisingly, it's not main dishes like beef in oyster sauce, chicken chop suey and prawns in black bean sauce that you need to worry about - they contain a respectable 350 to 450 calories and 10 to 15g of fat per portion. It's the fried rice, starters and side orders that turn a Chinese takeout into a health hazard.

Easy ways to slash the baddies
    Choose boiled rather than egg fried rice - a standard carton of egg fried rice contains 625 calories and 32g of fat while boiled has just 370 calories and 1g of fat.

Skip crispy duck - three filled pancakes contain a massive 560 calories and 21g of fat as the duck is served with its fatty skin.
    Soups are usually low in fat, containing around 3g for a pot so have them instead of deep-fried starters like wontons, spring rolls, sesame toast and crispy seaweed - just one piece of sesame prawn toast contains 70 calories and 7g of fat.

Avoid prawn crackers - the may be free but at 400 calories and 30g of fat per bag, they'll add pounds.

Instead of...
    Half a portion of Peking duck, crispy shredded beef with egg fried rice, and half a bag of prawn crackers: 1,925 calories, 86g fat

Order...
    Crab and sweetcorn soup and chicken in oyster sauce with boiled rice: 865 calories, 12g fat
    Save: 1,060 calories, 74g fat

Or you could always run you nuts off for an hour and go wild :D

Debs x
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Lomein or chow mien. I know it doesn't seem like pasta would be low cal but its really not that bad.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/lo-mein

I agree with everyone else...enjoy yourself. A healthy lifestyle change is not about denying yourself certain foods, its about eating them in moderation.