Stupid man who doesn't know what he's talking about/rant

Options

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    ...Message me if you want any tips! I'll make a special plan for you and you will see results. Srsly thou...stay away from the big boy weights. Trust me. Cardio is the only way to melt fat. Lifting will just add muscle to fat and you will just get bigger."

I agree with Hendrix's comment. This dude is either a troll or has communication issues, especially where women are concerned. "Big boy weights..." Honestly now. The only thing missing here is us use of the phrase "Lil lady", the jingle of his boot spurs, his tipping his cowboy hat, spitting in the spittoon, and then riding away into the sunset. This isn't the midwestern US in 1880. It's 2012.

Any background on this guy? Is he a personal trainer who thinks he has an easy target to hit for some extra money? "I'll make a special plan for you..." either suggests that this guy thinks he has some knowledge or certification or is probably one of the worst pickup lines I think I've ever heard. And if it IS a pick-up line, well now we know why he's single.

Keep doing what you're doing and let this jerkosaurus rex make a special plan for someone else.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a smartass. I would have just HAD to say something nasty. Can't help it.

Srsly I tht I'd prgrs pst ur lvl. Sry u hv sml pnis syndrm, pls fnd anthr outlt. Pfrbly on ur own pink trdml, *kitten*.

^^ Winner!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up I lift as heavy as I can and it has changed my body to be smaller and to fit smaller clothes at a higher weight than before.
  • analisa77
    analisa77 Posts: 10
    Options
    It sounds like he was genuinely trying to help you, but unfortunately he was giving you incorrect information. The good thing is that you recognize that the information is bad. Don't let it get to you. Good luck on your journey, and lift those weights girl!! Girl power!! ;)
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had a moment like that this weekend.

My husband and I were at my In-laws house and my husband was bragging about how nice my arms were getting and how he had better start working out with weights too, so he could keep up.

(He was just trying to be super sweet and supportive, love that guy)

My FIL was like "You work out with weights?!" and made a disgusted face. I said yes, and that I was just starting so they weren't very heavy. Then he asked how heavy, and I gave some examples.

He gave a shocked face and said "NO, no, no, no stop doing that! Use 2 pound weights, if you insist on doing that, only use 2 pounds. For a woman, that's all you need. 2 pounds "tone", those type of weights make you bulky."

I tried to blow it off and laughed and said "Oh, now, I can't do anything with a 2 lb weight! You know that!" and I moved on.

He also overheard me telling my husband and MIL that my Zumba instructor is also a personal trainer and I'd love to be able to afford to train with her, and was commenting on how defined her back was and how I'd love to look like that...

He interjected from across the room "No you don't! Yuck! You don't want to look like a man! You want to look like a woman!"

I wanted to throw his skinny narrow minded behind across the room! There's no reasoning with some people.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll/pervert/wind up.

I would not take his message too seriously.

I tried not too but I don't know why I'm so pissed about it! lol On top of that, he requested to be my friend!

I would totaly accept his friend request --- then keep posting more pictures lifting more weights and higher weights, and post more pictures and look more hot, and post more pictures and in the end prove him wrong. you will never have to respond, pictures speak a 1,000 words! and i bet your other friends will shut him soon enough, friends got your back! Keep going with what works for you, your looking great!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Tell him simply that you would disagree with him if science, basic biology and human physiology had not already done so.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what makes you happy. You are seeing results from your hard work and that is what matters.

Ignore that guy. He obviously has no clue what he's talking about.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't even respond to that a$$hat. It would just be an open invite for him to bother you more.

Moron.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    He was only trying to hurt you, because that takes his mind off his own miserable life.
    Pity him.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    20120522_212150-1.jpg
    Ronnie-coleman-workout.jpg

Yup. I can definitely see how you're starting to look like a bodybuilder.

Oh wait. No I can't. LMAO. Some people are just so clueless.

LOL!!!!! now that's funny!
  • analisa77
    analisa77 Posts: 10
    Options
    Eh, your FIL is just old school, but you know the truth and it will set you free!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    well he's kinda right... muscle + fat will make you look bulky. but if youre burning fat at the same time i dont see the issue
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This kind of attitude drives me MAD. 1) weight lifting does not generally make women bulky unless they take steroids, and 2) I get SO MAD that the ultimate goal for women is not supposed to be to be fit and healthy, but to be skinny and weigh as little as possible. SO BACKWARDS.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity would you mind telling me how much you lift? I just started trying to lift heavy (doubling up my Barbie dumbbells) and I'm not sure ifnim in the right ballpark. Thanks.
    lol the only reason I still do cardio is because it's rule #1 in Zombieland.
    I love you.

On the machines (since I'm still kinda shy about the weight room) I bench 110, row 130, lat pull down 150, that shoulder machine where you make the chicken wings and press up (lol) 90, tricep pull down 90, the ab twisty thing 150, leg press 350, chest flies with free weights 25 each hand so I guess 50?, chest flies with the cable, 50 on each cable so I guess 100?, deadlifts 120...but I think I could do more with better form, squats right now with just the bar. I think that's it. ^_^
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Block him. I am 55 yrs. old, tiny, and have been lifting weights that FOR ME are heavy for almost 30 yrs. I look muscular not stringy, not pudgy. Everyone is diffferent & what I think you may be reacting to is the patronizing tone of his message rather than his stupid "advice." If he had said something like "Gee! that really works for you? I am surprised because I have never seen such good results this way before. How amazing! Best of luck to you..." I have a feeling you wouldn't even have given the post a 2nd thought. :heart:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    HATERS TO THE LEFT!!!

I think the fella doth protest too much. He is probably insecure about himself and felt the need to put you down. You look great and lifting heavy is obviously working for you. Do what you think its right for you and ignore people like him!
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have been weight lifting with my trainer 2x/wk and doing cardio 4x/wk. As of next week, I will be eliminating cardio and doing strictly weights 5x/wk with rest days on weekends.

I guess I will be well on my way to being some sort of ... She-Hulk?! :laugh:
  • nancykhayes
    nancykhayes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Miss Tattoo,
    I think you have taken this the wrong way. You say that you have calmed down some so go back and reread it with this on your mind: here is a guy that is just trying to make a suggestion to you and how you can see results the fastest. I believe in what he says about heavy weights. What you want to do is lose weight, tone up, and look smashing, am I right? Walking and other aerobic excercises are going to take the weight off and build up your cardio. A suggestion I have for you is to do what makes you happy and feel good about yourself. I have also found that drinking plenty of water seems to help your skin have elasticity and not just sag when you lose a lot of weight. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Oh my...big boy weights, huh? lol

That is as bad as one of my friends telling another one (both girls) "Make sure you use the girl weights" WTF are girl weights??? Do we have special pink sparkly weights somewhere? 5 lbs. is 5 lbs. and 100 lbs. is 100 lbs.

You keep doing what you are doing, he sounds uneducated and creepy.

I now feel the need to spray paint all my heavy dumbbells sparkly pink! I guess I will be taking a trip to AC Moore sometime this weekend.