Replies

• megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eggs! With the yolks!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Egg Creations (Canadian Egg Beaters) though I miss real eggs. Stupid cholesterol. :grumble:

You do know that eating something with cholesterol has 0% affect on your cholesterol, right?

This isn't true! I give blood, and my cholesterol had gone down significantly after getting my diet in order. I kept reading on here about eggs this, eggs that... and I started eating the whole eggs again (after my cholesterol was down to 166). My cholesterol again skyrocketed to over 200 with only about two weeks worth of egg yolks.

No one will EVER convince me that the eggs have no effect on cholesterol. I've experienced it... I donate again in a couple weeks and have gone back to having only an occasional yolk, so we'll see how my next level is. If it's still elevated, then it apparently doesn't help. I'm 99.9% convinced it'll be back down to normal though.

I think what the poster is referring to (and I have read this as well) is that SUGAR is actually the bigger culprit in high cholesterol (I think triglycerides actually) then high cholesterol food. I won't claim to know the science, but it has to do with high blood sugar and how the liver deals with it - it ends up causing a higher triglyceride count.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20100420/high-sugar-diet-linked-lower-good-cholesterol

Cholesterol is essential for healthy cell and brain function - so it is not the great Satan it has been made out to be. That being said, I think I get my healthy fats from enough other good sources that I have chosen to skip the eggs (same as I have chosen to skip regular milk in favor of Almond Milk now) in favor of Egg Whites.

I use Egg Beaters because it is made from real egg whites, is fortified with vitamins, lasts for a long time refrigerated and is not wasteful (in the sense that if you buy real eggs just to use the whites, you are throwing half of the egg away in the yolk).

Also it is WAY easier to use - no messing with shells, whisking and spills at 6 AM when I am trying to get to work. Hot pan, 4-6 oz of egg beaters, 12 grain toast with avocado spread and I am ready to knock down brick walls until lunch time!

my 2 cents
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Have my own chickens--the eggs are amazing and there is so much Vitamin A the yolks are dark orange.

I eat four of them at a time, nearly every day, 80 calories each, with a glass of something cold and wet. It's an amazing breakfast, keeps me satisfied for hours.

I say, get your own chickens--no grasshoppers, and the best nutrition you can imagine!

Oh, and did I mention my cholesterol (HDL and LDL) is amazing, and my triglycerides have never been better.

T H E R E A L T H I N G ! ! ! ! :flowerforyou:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Eggs and/or egg whites.

Read the ingredients in Egg Beaters.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Egg Creations (Canadian Egg Beaters) though I miss real eggs. Stupid cholesterol. :grumble:

You do know that eating something with cholesterol has 0% affect on your cholesterol, right?

This isn't true! I give blood, and my cholesterol had gone down significantly after getting my diet in order. I kept reading on here about eggs this, eggs that... and I started eating the whole eggs again (after my cholesterol was down to 166). My cholesterol again skyrocketed to over 200 with only about two weeks worth of egg yolks.

No one will EVER convince me that the eggs have no effect on cholesterol. I've experienced it... I donate again in a couple weeks and have gone back to having only an occasional yolk, so we'll see how my next level is. If it's still elevated, then it apparently doesn't help. I'm 99.9% convinced it'll be back down to normal though.
    Many other factors are involved.

It is highly unlikely that your digestion is any different than ours. If you eat enough animal fat of the unhealthy variety (I recently read a study that demonstrated that lard, properly prepared, is, in moderation, a healthy fat), you are going to have problems. but you probably don't exercise either, and if you are eating plenty of refined carbs, that's your culprit.

Not eggs. Eggs actually have very little cholesterol. And eggs from free range (happy) chickens have even less.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Nature's Superfood. No boxed crap can even come close.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Real whole egss......YUM!
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What is an Omega egg?
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Nature's Superfood. No boxed crap can even come close.

This. Preferably from hens with access to grass. Store bought eggs from caged hens can't even compare to farm fresh eggs from pastured hens.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I just eat plain old chicken eggs. Though we did just buy some turkey eggs at the market! I'm kind of hesitant to try those LOL
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like egg beaters..but only the named brand, the off brand is terrible. It really does save calories , fat and cholost. but it is expensive.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I prefer egg beaters over egg whites but I do eat both. I also boil the real thing when I want the whole egg. I think it's a matter of choice
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Re: Eggs and cholesterol, believe what you want but there is strong evidence that dietary cholesterol does not influence serum cholesterol except in very specific small populations such as diabetics.

If you lowered your egg consumption and saw yout serum cholesterol go down, I doubt it was really anything to do with the egg. Much more likely some other confounding factor that you didn't account for, such as increased activity. As far as anecdotal evidence goes I'll throw in my own. I increased my whole egg consumption, yolks and all from zero to between 7-14 per week. I also increased clean eating and exercise. In three months my lipid profile was back into totally normal ranges.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I just tried Egg Beaters egg whites... They don't taste bad, but when cooking they have a funny smell... I'm going back to regular eggs..
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, just upping protein.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i prefer egg whites but mostly because I don't like the taste of the yolk
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Real eggs- pretty much every morning
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    all of the above.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Many other factors are involved.

It is highly unlikely that your digestion is any different than ours. If you eat enough animal fat of the unhealthy variety (I recently read a study that demonstrated that lard, properly prepared, is, in moderation, a healthy fat), you are going to have problems. but you probably don't exercise either, and if you are eating plenty of refined carbs, that's your culprit.

Not eggs. Eggs actually have very little cholesterol. And eggs from free range (happy) chickens have even less.

Not true either - eggs have a TON of cholesterol - but I don't disagree that high cholesterol foods always translate into high blood numbers - they don't - carbs are a bigger culprit.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608/
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Moderation. Nothing more to discuss. =)

This! ^^