Pregnancy changes everything!!

Options
ali_kat4
ali_kat4 Posts: 70 Member
When I first joined this site early in the New Year, I lost 10 pounds by April. That was my goal after quitting smoking the year before and I was happy I accomplished it. While on vacation (comfortable in my bikini after the workouts and healthy eating), we came home with something a little extra.... we found out we were expecting. (I'm almost 15 weeks now)
I obviously quit the site once that news came. I don't yoyo with my weight too much... I have never been overweight... have only ever tried to maintain a healthy, fit figure... but now that I have to gain weight it's kinda scary for me.
I'm making sure that I get all the nutrition baby and me need of course... baby comes first always!!!! But i'm trying to avoid gaining more than I need to. I don't want to end up in a weight loss nightmare after i'm done breastfeeding and I don't want to gain too quickly and end up with too many stretch marks.
The pregnancy has been a dream so far.. no sickness or anything besides the fatigue that came and went in the first trimester. My biggest challenge has been this HOT summer. I go for a walk every time it's tolerable but that's been few and far in between. Yesterday I made it to the end of the driveway and it was so hot it was too hard to breath so I went back in the house. (40 Celsius with the humidex)
If anyone has any tips on how to make this site more usable for pregnancy, please pass on your tips. I have already tailored it to be 'gain 1lbs per week' but the ticker doesn't seem to work for weight gain.
Thanks

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and I don't recall the docs ever telling me I had to gain 1 pound a week. Then again the last time I had a baby was in 1997, so maybe things have changed. I do recall the docs saying a healthy weight gain during a pregnancy was 20-25 pounds, but not to stress over it one way or another because unless you're just chowing down your body will gain what it needs for the baby and no more. You should also walk as much as possible, it really does help with the labor and recovery.

Stretch marks are hit or miss, I'm afraid. If you're going to get them, you're going to get them. I was lucky not to get any at all on my belly but I had tiger stripes all on my chest and back of thighs. But good thing is they fade after while to be barely noticeable.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    A pound per week? Wow! Why? Is that for any particular reason?
    What is your weight/height now? Sorry if your ticker says, I just glanced at it.
    With my first son, I only gained 24lbs and he was an 8lb, 8oz little bundle. I ate a bit extra but really "eating for two" is a load of crap, lol. I think you need an extra 300 calories per day? That's a yogurt and a banana or something, that is not a lot of food.

Now my second baby I let myself have a 'horrah' because he's our last and um.. .. lets just say that I was screwed when my 7lb, 7oz baby wasn't 40lbs. ;)
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was working on losing those last 10 pounds when I found out I was pregnant in April...I am now 18 weeks pregnant :) I am still using the site but rather than using it to lose weight I am using it to keep track of what I eat so that I don't gain tons of pregnancy weight (despite my friends and family telling me its my free card to eat what I want) Once I have this little guy or gal I will just set my calories back to weight loss!
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    you should join the group "Fit, Fabulous, & Pregnant! " there are a lot of moms to be that post questions like this :) ( me being one of them ;) .
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You do not need to gain a pound a week in pregancy...typically towards the end of pregnancy you may see gains like that, because that is when the baby is gaining the most weight. Really, there is no secret: eat healthy foods, eat something if you feel hungry, indulge a little when you feel like it, drink a ton of water, and take your prenatal vitamins. I know it's hard to not worry about weight gain in pregnancy, but if you eat sensibly, you will be fine! And to make a pitch for breastfeeding: NOTHING gets you back in shape better than nursing your baby. I was at my pre-pregnancy weight at my 6 week post partum visit with both my children, and I had gained 40 pounds with each pregnancy. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry about weight, you will lose it.
  • ali_kat4
    Options
    All the sites as well as my doctor told me that the average range (And I should clarify that this is starting in the 2nd trimester) is about a pound a week. That's what they consider the standard.
  • ali_kat4
    Options
    I started out being 126 lbs... i'm 131 now at 15 weeks. I have 25 weeks left so I should end up being around 156-161. That's if you go by the standard charts.... of course I realize that this is not how things usually work out. But I was hoping to stick to the standard of 1 lbs a week so that the weight gain is slow. I figure it'll fluctuate as baby goes through growth spurts in there.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In Italy, the expectant mothers I knew didn't understand why American women put on baby weight. They ate no differently (minus some wine, but even then they had a little!) and looked amazing throughout and after pregnancy.

One of them complained she'd put on about 5 lbs with her first child.

I dunno, I've heard that you really don't need to consume more than about 300 extra calories a day when pregnant.

I've also never been pregnant, nor will I ever be, so take my anecdotal evidence for what it's worth. :D
  • chikkenlikken
    chikkenlikken Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Girl, pregnancy DOES change everything! I've been skinny my ENTIRE life, until I got pregnant! I packed on 50 lbs, and a year later, I'm still trying to get rid of it! (I didn't watch what I ate, though) Your body will let you know when you need to eat. Eat when you are hungry. I think the the key is a matter of WHAT you eat. Now is no time to diet. You need calories. However, you should eat healthy food, not junk. I know it's difficult, but it's what you have to do if you don't want to deal with weight loss after delivery. By the way, you ARE going to gain some unwanted fat. That's just part of it. Good luck. I know it's hard.
  • ali_kat4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice replies!!!!
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this exact same question. I am 16 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I have gained about 5 pounds so far. I have set my goal to gain 1/2 a pound a week. Saying that, I only started logging again yesterday after having quite a while off. Like you, I don't want to lose weight when I am pregnant, so it isn't a case of 'dieting' more of tracking healthy foods and making sure I am getting enough calories. It's hard to do after getting used to having a calorie deficit for such a long time lol. I have decided that I am going to get in as much exercise as I can to make labour easier and to make it easier to lose the baby weight when I have had the baby. I do plan on breastfeeding as well so fingers crossed I am able to. I have some pregnancy DVDs including some aerobics, yoga and pilates. I have been swimming and walking and also plan on joining an antenatal class called Lazy Daisy birthing which along with a normal antenatal class is also some yoga. I also want to do aquanatal. Technically I could start the aquanatal now, but I think I would feel stupid going when my bump is still so small, like I shouldn't be there yet lol. Therefore, I will be starting these in August and September when I am 20 and 24 weeks. Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck :smile:
  • ali_kat4
    Options
    Congratulations to you too!!! Sounds like you're getting in more exercise than I have!!! It's been so so hot outside that it's been impossible to go for long walks like I usually do. Luckily the last few days have been a little relief so I've been catching up. Which times out good because I now have my energy back too. I wouldn't be worried about your lack of bump... at 16 weeks things start to bump out quickly. Or so i'm told. lol