House work as exercise

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I totally log housework that isn't done on a daily basis for me. Yesterday I cleaned for 6 hours! How could I not log that? I didn't sit down once during my cleaning spree and I had to go up and down stairs several times. THAT is exercise! That burned more calories than had I gone to kickboxing for an hour.

Okay see but an average person rarely needs to clean for six hours, unless you are a maid in Daddy Warbuck's manor or you are cleaning up after an epic Charlie Sheen sex and coke party. Nobody is saying it cannot be a decent amount of activity however GENERALLY it is something people do every day. Based on that, its more accurate/sensible to adjust your activity level depending on that.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No, housework is not a lesser form of exercise. However, it depends on how you do your initial set-up. If your daily routine (housework, yardwork or whatever) is factored in to your daily activity level, then it should not count; however, if you set it up as "sedentary" then by all means... count it because anything you do is above and beyond sitting down. The thing is I encourage all to not count things twice... If you are counting something as exercise and not seeing results, then try not counting it ...
  • tonymm
    tonymm Posts: 2
    Options
    I add housework, yard work and grocery shopping to MFP all of the time. I work at a job that has me up and down stairs all the time, and I add that time too. They're all valid exercises, and It all adds up.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, have seen some comments (nasty ones too) about critising housework efforts and walking kids to school.

Someone I know regulary walks 2 hrs a day and of course you need to claim that. Has to be better than catching the bus !
    Window washing, scrubbing floors, mowing the lawn must all be counted.

Yeh I stopped logging my situps and dumbell exercises because MFP didn't allow any calories for the strength training. For a moment I thought I wasted money on my bench !

MFP don't class it as a cardio workout, well my heart races when I do 100 situps I can assure you.
    Lugging my vacuum cleaner up the stairs, scrubbing off soap scum from shower walls, washing and grooming my dogs, and scraping and washing litter boxes all get my heart going, too! LOL!

Mike Jacobs, you can always wear a HRM to gauge how many calories you burn during strength training. I was literally surprised how many calories I burned, both during housework and strength training, and how much of my time was actually spent "in the zone" - a Polar FT4 is fairly inexpensive (which is why I have one) and I'm finding it is an invaluable tool.

:flowerforyou:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's not exercise. It's the basic rudimentary functions of the 21st century human being in a first world society.

Granted, can you break a sweat cleaning or chasing a couple toddler's around? Absolutely...But to put that on the same level as 60 minutes in the gym..or a zumba class for that matter is stretching the bounds of a lazy rationale.

You should be taking care of all your domestic work in addition to conventional exercise outlets...not cleaning the toilet and calling it a hard days work.

Nothing is worse than failing because you didn't work hard enough.

Seriously? Great support there, buddy. To each their own.

I'm of the opinion that if your lifestyle is set to sedentary and you do more cleaning than nightly dishes, vacuuming, scrubbing toilets, etc., then add it. Like mowing the lawn in 100 degree heat or scrubbing the outside of your house by hand. If I were to have a lawn to mow I would. I usually wear my HRM when I garden since it's outside my normal routine. I know my sister usually doesn't add those calories on the weekends since her activity level is mildy active (she chases autistic preschoolers for a living).
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are listed as sedentary on MFP, I don't think there's an issue with logging those things. I don't usually log them but sometimes I do. You only know for yourself if it counts or not. If you're working up a sweat and your heartrate is up, I think it should count. As far as items not being in MFP, put it in cardio. If it's not already in there, google how many calories whatever you're doing burns and manually add it to your cardio section. I had to do this with my one home workout DVD. It's a hard workout with an exercise ball and I KNOW it burns calories. Once you create it in there, it will automatically calculate your calories depending on how long you do that exercise. They are lacking stuff on here I've noticed though. Ex. They have all the Wii exercises but they do not have any of the Xbox Kinnect exercises. I work a lot harder on the Xbox stuff than when I used the Wii but I have to settle for logging it as Wii exercise.
  • DataBased
    Options
    I totally log housework that isn't done on a daily basis for me. Yesterday I cleaned for 6 hours! How could I not log that? I didn't sit down once during my cleaning spree and I had to go up and down stairs several times. THAT is exercise! That burned more calories than had I gone to kickboxing for an hour.

Okay see but an average person rarely needs to clean for six hours, unless you are a maid in Daddy Warbuck's manor or you are cleaning up after an epic Charlie Sheen sex and coke party. Nobody is saying it cannot be a decent amount of activity however GENERALLY it is something people do every day. Based on that, its more accurate/sensible to adjust your activity level depending on that.
    Hi Chris,

Sorry but of all the people I know - young or old, male or female - only one does a thorough house cleaning every day. A thorough house cleaning for me takes anywhere from 3-4 hours. As I get more fit, I get through it faster.

My one acquaintance who does so is a germaphobe. She does her housework top to bottom every day. It takes her 4-5 hours because she''s... well, paranoid about germs. She never sits down in her battle against the unseen foe - and I would hate to be stuck in that kind of mindset.

Do you clean your home top to bottom every day? Really?
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Personally, I may log housework- but NOT so I can have extra burn showing in my data- but so I can see record that I am MOVING. It doesn't matter how much people bag on it for burning calories- if you are a person that is motivated by seeing housework in your stats- DO IT. Just be realistic about how much burn you actually get and then push yourself to do something outside of the norm. Stretch your limits and push yourself to step outside of that self made box.

Do what is best for you. But also keep in mind, what's best for you isn't always what comes easy.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think you should log what you want how you want and don't worry about if other people approve. Weird, I know.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I apologize in advance...I'm sorry....but this is one of the reasons we are so obese as a society. We should not be aguing over recording basic life chores. Cleaning, walking, gardening ect. ect. it is considered life. Our ancestors walked an average of 15 - 20 miles per day. They did not call that exercise. That was their way of Life!
    I clean, garden, cut the grass, Hike with the kids, I call that an active lifestyle, the way we SHOULD Be. Then I exercise! Change your perspective and you will have better results.

i'm pretty sure(tho i may be wrong) that my fitness pal did not exist then!!! :noway:

Right, but then their lifestyle (and yours) is considered active--as you are always active throughout your day, so therefore you burn more calories than say I do--my job is mostly sitting at a computer all day. So, when I do anything that raises my heart rate (as per my HRM) it burns more calories than what I would do if I were doing my regular fairly sedentary lifestyle. Note...I do not eat back all of those calories for part of the reasons you indicated.

Please remember, we are all on a different path to wellness here and are all starting at different levels of fitness and lifestyle.

Take care and I wish you continued success on your journey--it appears you are doing very well.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I need more lemon pledge

*stands up... slow claps* thanks for reminding me how amazing family guy is.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My theory - if it works for you to log it, log it! I don't judge friends logging anything. Seriously.

I don't *usually* log cleaning unless I'm dance-cleaning (totally different beast involving looking like an idiot AND having a high heart rate) or if I'm highly drugged with Benadryl and it's hard to find the energy to stand, much less clean (yay for my Fourth of July.... ugh.)

My general rule - if I feel like I'm exerting myself, it counts. But then again, my calorie goal is set at 1,600, and I'm not looking to lose much more weight at this point, just to shift the weight I have.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think you should log what you want how you want and don't worry about if other people approve. Weird, I know.

What she said :)
  • DataBased
    Options
    Personally, I may log housework- but NOT so I can have extra burn showing in my data- but so I can see record that I am MOVING. It doesn't matter how much people bag on it for burning calories- if you are a person that is motivated by seeing housework in your stats- DO IT. Just be realistic about how much burn you actually get and then push yourself to do something outside of the norm. Stretch your limits and push yourself to step outside of that self made box.

Do what is best for you. But also keep in mind, what's best for you isn't always what comes easy.
    Very well stated. That's why I've begun measuring everything - which is funny because that's what my profession taught me: what we measure, we improve. I weigh my food now, I measure my heart rate to log activity accurately. You are SO right that what is best is often not what is easy!
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I sugar-soaped my kitchen door at the weekend and it was a great work-out for my bingo-wings!

I'm tired of this debate and don't really care what people log, but I really want to know what sugar-soaping is! Come to think of it, I also want to know what bingo-wings are? Is this Brit slang I haven't heard before?
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi I totally agree housework is hard work, I clean my house top to bottom once a week, I get down on my hands and knees to do the floors and clean windows and give a thorough clean. I have a dog and 2 cats and you need to maintain cleaning on a regular basis when you have animals, i usually spend about 6 hours and climb 2 flights of stairs at lease 100 times in that timeframe and work my *kitten* off
  • ChristaFall
    ChristaFall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's not exercise. It's the basic rudimentary functions of the 21st century human being in a first world society.

:drinker:
    :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, have seen some comments (nasty ones too) about critising housework efforts and walking kids to school.

Someone I know regulary walks 2 hrs a day and of course you need to claim that. Has to be better than catching the bus !
    Window washing, scrubbing floors, mowing the lawn must all be counted.

Yeh I stopped logging my situps and dumbell exercises because MFP didn't allow any calories for the strength training. For a moment I thought I wasted money on my bench !

MFP don't class it as a cardio workout, well my heart races when I do 100 situps I can assure you.

Situps are calisthenics, and there is a listing for that in the cardio section. There is also a listing for Strength Training with weights.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have read a few threads recently which criticiseMFP members for adding housework (cleaning) to their cardiovascular exercise. I find this quite bizarre as my understanding is that MFP works out the number of net calories you need to eat using the number of calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day, your weight goal and the number of pounds you want to lose per week.

It depends on what you set as your activity level. If you put sedentary, it means you sit around and do (pretty much) nothing all day. Then yes, add in housework as exercise. If you put anything other than sedentary, then housework is already included in your calorie count and should not be added as exercise. That is what most people don't understand.

I put myself as sedentary but I only add in housework as exercise if I'm doing deep cleaning, spring cleaning, or any cleaning that is out of the ordinary for my usual day.
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To each their own, what business is it of mine is someone wants to log housework as cardio.