Kitchen Tools that assist you with your healthy lifestyle

Options
Before the joining MFP, I refused to measure or weigh food. I thought it was waste of time and afterall, I could "eyeball" it. Once I started measuring, I realized I had no clue as to what a real serving was. Now that I'm changing my foolish ways :o), measuring has become a major part of my healthy lifestyle change. I love my Kitchenware: Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup (1/4 cup). I use it for everything and am looking to purchase another one. I am also considering buying a food scale.
What tools do you use in your food prep that help you maintain a successful healthy lifestyle?

What kitchen tools do you use that help with your healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• fluffyclaire
    Options
    My non-stick frying pan, i can fry eggs, meat and... well pretty much anything without adding a single drop of oil :)
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    Definitely a kitchen scale. :) It's so much better to know exactly how much I'm eating.
    Also, a grill. I have a non-stick Caphalon over-the-stove grill. Everything tastes better grilled. :)
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes, one of my biggest issues has been my total blindness to what is an actual portion size.
    Through measuring and weighing my eyes have really been opened.
    Right now I have a food scale that I think isn't very accurate, so I'm off to buy a digital one this afternoon.

Recently I bought this OXO angled mini measuring cup. It's helped a lot to keep me honest with the little stuff that adds up when you don't track it.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Angled-Measuring/dp/B000ON555S
  • blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    Another item I'm considering because I love grilled food. I wished I had one for the 4th to grill my peaches :). Thanks!
  • blesdchile
    Options
    Another item I'm considering because I love grilled food. I wished I had one for the 4th to grill my peaches :). Thanks!
    Definitely a kitchen scale. :) It's so much better to know exactly how much I'm eating.
    Also, a grill. I have a non-stick Caphalon over-the-stove grill. Everything tastes better grilled. :)
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I rely on my kitchen scale but it is super old and I want to get a digital one.

Also measuring cups and spoons. I find measuring sticky things like nut butters and even greek yogurt is a pain - but important.

Also - I am using my blender more but it is ANCIENT. I want to get a vita mix but need to price it out and probably will get the scale first.
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I was just looking up scales and I think I'm going with EatSmart (Amazon.com). I'm also considering (sometime in the future) getting another food processor. Even though I wasn't really counting calories, it made food prep too easy. Unfortunately, she gave up the ghost.

Thanks for your input.

I rely on my kitchen scale but it is super old and I want to get a digital one.

Also measuring cups and spoons. I find measuring sticky things like nut butters and even greek yogurt is a pain - but important.

Also - I am using my blender more but it is ANCIENT. I want to get a vita mix but need to price it out and probably will get the scale first.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I bought a Magic Bullet mixer a few weeks ago to make shakes and it works perfectly for me. Easy to use, clean and comes with a bunch of recipes that I will use later. I am a little afraid to buy a scale and a good measuring cup, though... so I guess I am still cheating with measurements:) not for long!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Knives are great for cutting away all that excess fat.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    my mandolin and my food processor. I am having so much fun chopping and slicing. :)
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BLENDER. I dream of owning a Vitamix
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    my new kitchen scale, my tupperware and my mason jars! i spend Sunday evenings shopping, cutting measuring and storing everything for a quick grab during the week! planning ahead has been my saviour!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My food scale and measuring cups! And my 12.5" nonstick pan. Makes it easy to cook a lot of food at the same time!
    Oh, and my Brita pitcher!
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My hinari genie - perfect for making smoothies/juices and as a quick blender when the amounts are too small to dig out the massive food processor - plus you make the smoothies in the same glass as you drink it so saves on the washing up
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    my kitchen scale. very hepful.
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Food scale & magic bullet
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Blendtec blender
    Zojirushi rice cooker (I use it for a lot more, like steaming artichokes, quinoa and lentils)
    One great knife
    Scale
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Kitchen Tools that assist you with your healthy lifestyle

Food processor. I wouldn't be able to cook in big batches and often without it and laziness would get me!

Besides that, a sharp knife ($1 from dollar store is enough for this guy) along with couple of pots and pans and I'm good
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lvie without my kitchen scale, and my blender. I just got new batteries for my scale, I was without it for a few weeks :/ I also want another blender, mine is old. I want a magic bullet.
  • blesdchile
    Options
    ME TOO! For years.
    BLENDER. I dream of owning a Vitamix