how many calories are you really burning and is it enough?

Options

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Understood, but take a look at some of the responses to your post and you'll see what I was referring to as judgemental.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Your gym machines OVER-estimate? I just joined the gym and wear a HRM that I've had and used since January. I find the MFP is either the same or slightly below the reading on my HRM but the machines read half or less than that. If I went by machines, I'd think I'd burned 20 calories in 10 minute running!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Your gym machines OVER-estimate? I just joined the gym and wear a HRM that I've had and used since January. I find the MFP is either the same or slightly below the reading on my HRM but the machines read half or less than that. If I went by machines, I'd think I'd burned 20 calories in 10 minute running!

wow...first time I have heard that...I'm curious, does your HRM have a chest strap?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This thread needed making and I couldn't agree more.

Some of the calorie burns posted are ludicrous.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have thought this also... and doubted the elliptical.

But I mean, I work hard at level 10 on the elliptical for 1 hour, about 560 seems like a reasonable burn....right?

edit: this is also why I do not eat back all of my excerise calories...usually less than half.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have thought this also... and doubted the elliptical.

But I mean, I work hard at level 10 on the elliptical for 1 hour, about 560 seems like a reasonable burn....right?

my opinion...if you are pushing it pretty hard for the entire hour then 560 is reasonable and then you would subtract your normal burn of approximately 1.2 calories a minute (normal burn is what you would burn just staying alive) so that would be 488
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    MFP's numbers are always a little lower than what my FT-4 HRM says. During a normal elliptical session (30 minutes) I burn around 540 calories with an average hr of 160. I'm 6'3", 208 and 33 yrs old.......does this sound right?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    MFP's numbers are always a little lower than what my FT-4 HRM says. During a normal elliptical session (30 minutes) I burn around 540 calories with an average hr of 160. I'm 6'3", 208 and 33 yrs old.......does this sound right?

that would be 18 calories a minute.

at 18 cals a minute, you are really busting it hard. average HR of 160 could be very close.
  • gogetter333
    Options
    So you're saying my 7 mile run that took me 53 mins this morning prolly didn't burn 1016 calories? Wouldn't surprise me - just going by what my forerunner gps watch said for a 185 lb male. In my opinion, the concept of counting calories is completely estimates anyways. On top of that, I also try to stay around my calorie goal regardless of if I work out or not. (sure, if I run 14 miles I'll probably consume a few more calories). This is a good discussion, though, especially since a woman I work with told me the treadmill said she burned 500 calories, so she had to be sure to consume an additional 500 calories that day.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the drama. How many calories you burn varies from person to person. Our bodies' make up are different. We have different metabolism rate, different muscle mass ratios, and god knows what else. My brother burns twice as much calories as I do, if not more, just sitting around. He eats twice as much as I do, does nothing but sit on his computer all day, and never gains a pound. (Yes, I'm very, very jealous!)

So, yes, when he works out, I don't think it's ridiculous that he could burn 900 calories in 45 mins. He certainly eats more than that just to maintain his weight. He's very underweight, but that's how he has always been.

Also, why should anyone cares how much calories a person post or doesn't post. If they're losing weight, what does it matter? If they're not, well, we can't really do much about it now can we?

As for me, I only use those number as a guide. Furthermore, I mainly use MFP to track my eating habits and my exercise. It's more of an accountability system. But, that's just me. I have trust issues, especially when it comes to machines.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I don't understand the drama.

Also, why should anyone cares how much calories a person post or doesn't post. If they're losing weight, what does it matter? If they're not, well, we can't really do much about it now can we?

I dont really see any drama but whatever. All I meant to do was refer people to an excellent website. If you dont need it or dont want it thats great. I dont understand getty pissy about it though.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There must be something wrong with the machines at my gym.. the amount of calories burned on the machine is consistently lower than my FT-4 HRM. Although, at the gym I don't use the HRM functions on the machines so maybe that has something to do with it.

Although, when it comes to workout DVDs I have seen that MFP and other calculators can massively overestimate.

I think the only way to be accurate is to get a personal HRM. I don't really trust the machines or MFP whether they are over-estimating or underestimating. I feel that HRMs are a great investment to be more accurate because when it comes to counting calories, accuracy is SO important. If you overestimate your workouts, you can really set yourself back. Plus, everyone is different so I just don't trust think there can be one mathematical formula that works perfectly for every person. Especially when it comes to calculating calories for workout DVDs.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Sometimes these threads are kill joys.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

really? I dont know how having more information kills any joy. If the website I referred to in the original post doesnt help you, sorry.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I had to tweak everything DOWN - big time.
    I burn from 450 up to 600 calories per hour doing different types of cardio.
    And the fitter I get, the more intense my training must be to earn those higher burns.
    At some point, I just stopped increasing the training and am happy where I am.
    I try to change everything up just to keep my body guessing. Maybe that helps - who knows?

Anyway Dave, great post!
    I always enjoy your comments. You have a vast knowledge and big heart for your fellow man.
    KEEP PUNCHING!:drinker:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason I wont use MFPs search database.
    Too many varying numbers.
    Even the food selections need to be scrutinized.

For me, I figure 100 cals burned per 20mins lifting.
    100 cals burned per 10mins sprinting.

Till I get an HRM or Fitbit that is.

Thats my story and i'm sticking too it!

PS: thanx for all your input on the forums Dave!
    Even when you hand out a spanking!
    ^^^^^
    And this
    I sometimes log food in as not the whole number "1", but maybe ".75" or some other variation.
    Some of these food items are entered by people who are dreaming.
    In time you just learn what food contain regarding calorie/macro's.
    I don't really need to look anything up; I know.
    It's just a habit.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of glad you posted this so I could see the comments. I am one who usually has high numbers of calories burned each workout. But I am starting out at 250+ lbs and I know that makes a difference. I do not use the calories burned on my treadmill because it does not take into account my weight or heart rate. I use a calculator that bases calories burned on heart rate, age, sex and weight. The number usually coincides with "walking at 3.5mph uphill on MFP so I just use that one. Sometimes it's a little less than what the calculator tells me but I still use it because I'd rather err on the side of too less than too many. I do not eat back my exercise calories so I'm not sure it matters anyway for me. I usually average 700-800cal. per hour/hour and 10 minutes.
    I've always been curious if the numbers were too high but it made sense to me that my cals could easily be dbl that of a..say...150 female. Am I wrong in thinking this?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    My HRM calories burned is mental. It gives me a 200 cal burn for 40 minutes of AHR of 186 cardio. So, I plug my data into a HR based calorie calculator which also takes my sex, age, weight, height and V02MAX. Then I plug that into a NET calories burned thang. Then, I eat a portion of that back. Seems to work so far.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with the estimates I get from either MFP or machines. I have always eaten back all of my exercise calories as well. (I'm set at a 500 calorie deficit.) I've found, through my own experimentation, that if I don't, I don't lose weight. For me, exercise is extremely important for weight loss. All the clean eating, even at a deficit, won't get my body to burn fat if I'm not exercising. Going by the burn estimates and eating back all those cals has never hindered my weight loss.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

really? I dont know how having more information kills any joy. If the website I referred to in the original post doesnt help you, sorry.

Kills my joy because I am walking 2 hours a day, and I cut back my calories. I know I can do more. But if my burn is not as high as I thought it was... well it makes me feel bad. Already with the work I am doing I am pushing myself. 265lbs is a a lot and those 3 minutes of burpies and squat jumps ( in a 20 minuted intense interval workout) I did last night followed by a 25 minute walk at 4.0MPH . I will push more, but I can still a bit down that the work I thought I was doing is not enough