Bathing Suits!

Options
It's that time of year.
UGH.

I hate wearing them infront of anyone!

How do you make yourself comfortable?
Do you believe you should only wear 1 pieces/certain types if your overweight?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think you should wear whatever bathing suit you feel most comfortable in. Im only 120 or lbs (I fluctuate) but I wore a one piece the other day cuz I felt a little bloated and wearing a bikini just wasnt gonna work.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should wear what you feel comfortable in. It always amazes me about how much I worry about it and yet I go to the beach and people twice my size are in bikinis. Makes me think I'm too worried about what others think of me/my body.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Wear what you feel comfortable in. I swore I was buying a bikini this year for the first time in 7 or 8 years. When I started trying them on, I felt uncomfortable and naked...so my 2 piece is a skirt bottom and a tankini. It's 2 pieces, but I'm still covered like a one piece. I have to start somewhere I guess.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should wear what you feel comfortable in. It always amazes me about how much I worry about it and yet I go to the beach and people twice my size are in bikinis. Makes me think I'm too worried about what others think of me/my body.

ME TOO!!!!! I see these people in Busch Gardens all the time, yet I don't believe my husband when he says I look fine.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use to always wear a pair of shorts. It's my thunder thighs that I was embarrassed about. I have big boobs, which I hate also but I know that big boobs are okay to some people lolol Anyway, one day I decided "to hell with the shorts" because I was the only one in the pool wearing them and really, THAT made me feel like I stood out more than my overweight body showing, and in reality, there were worse bodies than mine. And I don't necessarily in the weight department either. Sure, I know people were still looking but I know how far I've come already. The bathing suit I now wear is one size smaller than the one I use to wear and if people want to stare...let them. Maybe they'll get a good laugh when I exit the pool and I have that annoying bathing suit wedgie lol
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I do believe you shouldn't wear a bikini if you're obese. It's just not a good look. But just overweight? It can be fine depending on how you're built. I just think you should wear something flattering, regardless of size. I've seen lots of thin people in terribly unflattering suits too.

I have worn tankinis for years now. This year though, I wanted something with tummy control so I got a one piece and I really like it.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I personally don't think super-tiny string bikinis look good on anyone... they leave nothing to the imagination! =P I think the vintage-style one pieces that have been out for a while are super adorable on anyone (see my Marilyn Monroe ticker). ;) I personally am not disgusted or offended by bigger people wearing bikinis, I just have mixed feelings about bikinis in general (I got mine for my honeymoon).
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I like modesty so I usually wear a one piece :)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I like modesty so I usually wear a one piece :)

Hear hear! ;)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Wear what makes you feel comfortable. For me, I would not be comfortable in something like a bikini, so I wear a swimdress from Land's End. It covers to the top of my thighs and sort of resembles a tennis dress (sporty looking). I also have a land's end tankini with a skirt that I can wear after losing some more weight, which is meant for exercise in the water. However, it is more noticeable when someone is tugging at her suit than it is when she is wearing something with confidence.

Of course, I do think it's better to be covered up at the pool rather than showing lots of skin, but that's just me being a prudish old lady. LOL
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I say, ROCK IT! Take whatever you're working with, stuff it in a suit, and WORK IT! You GO, girlfriend!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough I got the best swimsuit advice EVER from my husband last week. I was trying some on and I had it narrowed down to two. They were both one pieces, my tummy is not bikini ready. Anyhow, i texted him pics of both suits and he of course said the right thing, that he liked both of them. I didn't want to spend the money for both so I tried to get him to pick one. He said, "Get the one that you will be the most comfortable in." It took me two seconds to make the decision after that. The one was able to be strapless or with straps, but it covered most of my back too. The other was low cut in the front and back. I would have been ok with the front, but I KNOW if I were sitting down in the low cut one that I would be all fidgety, trying to be sure that my "crack" wasn't showing, haha :) So, whatever you are most comfortable in is what you should wear!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have bikinis and one piece bathing suits. When I was over weight, definitely only 1 piece swimsuits because I didn`t want me or others to see my back fat and muffin top. Now, it depends on the occasion....a week vacation with hubby on the beach = bikini , waterslides with the kids = 1 piece. Like others have said, you got to feel good and rock what you are wearing!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new tankini from Victorias Secret. Love it.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, but get the right size. It tends to make you look bigger if you squeeze into the wrong size.

But, it's been so freaking hot, I don't care what anyone thinks of me in my suit. I'm not wearing more than I have to!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just wear what makes me feel comfortable. I have a two tone swim dress for days when I want to cover up a bit more (the skirt part covers the top of my thighs which makes me feel better) and an old fashioned halter style with (think 50's pin up style one piece) that I wear on days when I feel more confident.

I don't really care if really heavy people wear bikinis, I just know that I would never feel comfortable wearing a bikini without the body to show for it.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I prefer either a one piece or a tankini. I like the tankini mainly on days I know I will be in it for long periods of time, as they are easiest for those pesky restroom breaks.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I tried on a bikini for the first time in probably 14 years yesterday. And it was okay. I just didn't love the bikini itself. I was thinking it would be nice for here at home, but not sure I would wear it at the waterpark with the kids. I don't know. I'm so torn. I am my worst critic.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    When I was pushing 300 lbs, I looked like a manatee.
    No doubt I caused people to either snicker or lose their lunch.
    I get it.
    My solution was to cover up to spare other the unsightliness of my fat body.
    That's just me.
    And I set a goal that when I reached a certain weight and pants size, then and only then would I go shirtless.
    I did, and it felt great. I lost an additional 30 lbs since then, and today I turn heads but for a totally different reason.
    It's a great feeling.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    DRINK MOAR FIRST
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those who say wear what makes you comfortable. That being said, as a very well endowed lady, and a decided hourglass figure, a string bikini is never going to make me feel good about myself. If I'm rocking a bikini it's got to have an under wire in it and bottoms that can cover up the booty!