C25K with 100+ lbs to lose

Options
I am debating about trying this, but I was wondering if anyone has tried it being as overweight as I am. I have over 100 lbs to lose, and I know this would be a great way of getting in exercise. I'm just horrible at running. I don't like it because I get so winded easily. I guess my questions are if you did do it in my condition, were you able to do in the time alotted, or did it take you extra time to get your body conditioned to it?

Replies

• hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have about 80 pounds to shed and am gettign ready to start this program next week. I am curious to see what others have to say too. I dont mind physical activity but for some reason I hate to run.

I have signed up for the 5K color run on Labor Day as well as the Warrior Dash on October 6. I am all signed up with registration paid so I HAVE to do this. I think these races will be fun I've just gotta get my endurance built up. I currently do Zumba and Spin on occasion. SO, I am hoping the C25K program wont kill me in the training process. I have heard several people say they do repeat the harder weeks in order to build stamina and endurance.
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I too have about 100 to lose. I have been doing the C25K and love it. I found a great app on my smart phone (run double) and love it. It has taken me a bit longer to get through some of the weeks than expected. I have done some of the weeks training twice before moving on. It is amazing how by the end of the week I am breathing easier and the workout does not seem to be as draining. Then I start the next week and feel tired all over again but as I push through it it gets much easier. Give it a try. You will really like it. Feel free to message me or friend me for some support.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was at my heaviest - 185 ish in Feb, pre MFP. I ran 15 seconds at a time. Make sure you are prepared - if you have asthma, use your inhaler if needed. I didn't, because I had goals of combating the asthma. I weigh 151 now and I just ran my first 10k by myself last night. I ran my first full 5k in early May but I've had personal obstacles/issues in my own life and many injuries I've had to deal with nonfitness related. I also don't run daily. If you have the drive, you can do it. The 10k I ran yesterday, if someone asked me January 1st if I'd be running, I'd have laughed and "spit" (from the laughing!) in their face! Its my greatest achievement to date, health wise and life wise. Good luck.

ETA: I had/have about 80 to lose and I DID NOT use the C25K app/program or B210K app/program.
  • fifth_bidness
    Options
    Calories burned increases proportionally with distance, rather than time, meaning walking a specific distance is as effective, but generally not as time efficient, as running that same distance. Additionally, a more gradual progression, allowing your muscles and joints and cardiovascular system time to adjust to the increased workload, might help to lessen discomfort and discouragement. If you are finding the cool runnings C25K timeline difficult to sustain, perhaps consider the following thrice weekly schedule:

week 1: walk 40 minutes (including 5 minutes for each of warmup and cooldown)
    week 2: 5 minutes warmup; 1 minute running; 9 minutes walking (repeat x3); 5 minutes cooldown
    week 3: 5 minutes warmup; 2 minutes running; 8 minutes walking (repeat x3); 5 minutes cooldown
    week 4: 5 minutes warmup; 3 minutes running; 7 minutes walking (repeat x3); 5 minutes cooldown
    week 5: 5 minutes warmup; 4 minutes running; 6 minutes walking (repeat x3); 5 minutes cooldown
    week 6: 5 minutes warmup; 5 minutes running; 5 minutes walking (repeat x3); 5 minutes cooldown

... and so forth.

Get yourself cleared for takeoff by your GP, fitted for some sweet shoes, and good luck! Running can provide an awesome sense of accomplishment.