smoking and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP and quit smoking 5 months ago. I started C25K a couple of weeks after. . The weight loss has been slow as heck. But, for the first time in my life I run. Also when I was doing any type of cardio (30 day shred, kickboxing, ect) my heart would be beating out or my chest and my breathing wasn't heavy. I can't begin to describe what an amazing cardiovascular difference it made. I didn't notice any other major changes.

I quit by using the patch for 6 weeks and then stopped. It sucked. 5 months later I still need to tell myself that I will not go back. It is 1 million % worth it.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I smoke around 15 cigarettes a day (give or take 2-3). As I become healthier and healthier and closer to my goal Im gradually cutting it down. I plan to quit completely, but not now. I have quit before for a long period of time and gained around 4 kg afterwards, I won't mind that happening when Im at 116 lbs, but now given that Ive only lost 6-7 kg after 4months it would devestate me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time, and when you feel ready, buck up for one hell of a fight.
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    Just wean down for 2 weeks, then quit cold turkey.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!

lol, now im terrified:sick:
    When the time is right, you can beat this.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I smoke and run~It definiately has taken it's toll on my time/distance and ability to really take it to the next level, I have tried to convince myself otherwise but I'm only lying to myself.

I was at the Dr. today, on the medical form they always ask if you smoke then usually my Dr. asks if I want help quitting~This was the 1st time I didn't cut him off and swiftly say "No" usually quite annoyed, after talking to him I got the Patch, I'm starting it tomorrow and will hopefully be smoke free soon.

Good Luck!!
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've been a smoker for about 4 years and was a pack a day smoker. I tried taking up running...Didn't happen for me, I would run for maybe 3 minutes and feel like I was dying because I couldn't breathe :( Very ****ty, vulnerable feeling. But honestly, I don't know if it was more the smoking or my extra weight. Since last week, I've been weaning off. I still smoke 2 or so a day as of right now, but I'm going to try to kick the habit completely next week. For all the other nic fits, I converted to the e-cigarette and I already notice a huge difference when I exercise. I know the feeling of not feeling like you're ready to quit, but once you are you WILL notice a difference, that's for sure. Good luck with your running :)
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I gave up smoking Aug 2010, be prepared for weight gain, I went from 12stone (168lbs) smoking to 14stone 8lbs (204 lbs), mainly due to comfort eating.
    Now 196 lbs and slowly loosing the weight, and now i can exercise good luck with giving up smoking.

By the way I'm 65 and started smoking when I was 11, it isn't easy but but I do feel better for it, so my wife tells me.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time, and when you feel ready, buck up for one hell of a fight.
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    Just wean down for 2 weeks, then quit cold turkey.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!

I quit (again) a little over a month ago. Both times I stopped it was pretty much like this. I planned to quit in my holiday time so I could sit in my room away from everyone.
    It's not easy but it is soooo worth it!
    This time round I wonder why I went back... I won't be doing it again!
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    some great motivational stories here....I guess its pointless to lose weight and exercise and then kill myself with cigs. Perhaps its time i stopped making excuses and just give up.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    thanks guys, i know weightloss is an excuse to keep smoking....I think i was kindda hoping that if i got myself in shape it would be easier to give up.:blushing:

It will never seem like the right time to quit. You just need to do it one day, whether you wean yourself off of cigarettes, whether you do it with medication, or whether you quit cold turkey. I think that MOST people that are full smokers will tell you that they smoking makes it more difficult to exercise, your lungs are not as elastic and have tar in them, so they will not be as forgiving when exercising. The ones saying that they are light smokers on weekends may not have trouble, but they are not smoking 20+ a day. I used to smoke, for 7 years, and I was a teenager and had a huge difference in endurance. I could feel it. Now that I have been smoke free for 3 years I notice a huge difference with my lungs/exercise.

It is difficult to quit smoking, it is difficult to do anything that is worth it. You need to try many different ways to cope and see what works for you. You can do it:)
  • rhinolover21
    rhinolover21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats quite a bit! I have never been a pack a day smoker, and only smoke on occasion now when I drink, and I can always tell how it effects my breathing when I excercise after having smoked. I agree about taking it one step at a time! But it isn't helpful to be working on a healthier you if you are going to keep smoking. While you are smoking I found a bit of information that may be helpful and is at the very least interesting!

Cantaloupe and other carotenoid-rich fruits help protect smokers and those who must breathe cigarette smoke. A common carcinogen in cigarette smoke, benzo(a)pyrene, induces Vitamin A deficiency. Animals fed a Vitamin A deficient diet developed emphysema, but this was countered with Vitamin A. Richard Baybutt, associate professor of nutrition at Kansas State, believes Vitamin A's protective effects help explain why some smokers do not develop emphysema and others do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    some great motivational stories here....I guess its pointless to lose weight and exercise and then kill myself with cigs. Perhaps its time i stopped making excuses and just give up.

I quit smoking about 20 years ago after watching my mother die of lung cancer.

Quitting may slow down your weight loss by a bit (you can't change everything overnight) and I'll warn you food tastes so good when your mouth doesn't taste like an ashtray. In terms of health I'm inclined to think quitting smoking should be your # 1 priority.

Good luck.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    I gave up smoking Aug 2010, be prepared for weight gain, I went from 12stone (168lbs) smoking to 14stone 8lbs (204 lbs), mainly due to comfort eating.
    Now 196 lbs and slowly loosing the weight, and now i can exercise good luck with giving up smoking.

By the way I'm 65 and started smoking when I was 11, it isn't easy but but I do feel better for it, so my wife tells me.

wow...well done to you.....and lol at your wife:laugh:
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After 25 years of smoking, I quit in January (after a particularly scary bout with bronchitis). I used the patches for one week and got aggravated by them falling off when I sweated. It was really really hard.....and really really worth the quit.

My biggest fear about quiiting? Gaining weight.

I gained 20 lbs in one month...

But it was worth it because now I feel good enough to work hard and take the weight back off.

For the past couple of months I just put the money I didn't spend on cigarettes in a Jar. I spend that money on fitness friendly toys:
    New bike
    Running shoes
    Fitbit Tracker
    Turntable with USB port for my old albums....which I ripped to my computer....then put on my iPod
    ....okay that last one was a stretch but it was for my running and workouts so I can make anything fitness related.

Give yourself time and decide what is more important to you and you'll know when you are ready.
    My mantra during the first two weeks smoke free, "I can always work off gained weight but I only have one set of lungs."
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    I still smoke, I smoke between 5-10 as I don't smoke during working. The only time I feel I really struggle with it is when I play squash.

I do plan on quitting though, I'm not worried about weight gain whilst quitting as I see it like I see most things, everything is a choice, I chose to eat crap, and now I am chosing to get healthy, if I make the wrong choices, they result in me still being fat. I've started asking myself before I snack if I really need it (not want!) and smoking will be exactly the same, do I need a cigarette? The answer will always be no, to me, addiction is that simpe, be it alcohol, smoking, drugs or food. You just need to say no and take it hour by hour.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have smoked a pack a day for about 23-24 years. I have quit cold turkey 3 times. The first was for two years, second 6 months and third 1 year. I don't know why I picked them back up. I hear people say that you gain weight when you quit. Is that because they substitute food for smoking or because it chemically does something to your body to make you gain?
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have smoked a pack a day for about 23-24 years. I have quit cold turkey 3 times. The first was for two years, second 6 months and third 1 year. I don't know why I picked them back up. I hear people say that you gain weight when you quit. Is that because they substitute food for smoking or because it chemically does something to your body to make you gain?

i'm really not 100% sure, but my guess is that you gain weight when you quit smoking because of substituting cigarettes with food. My issue used to be that I'd get bored, so I'd eat. Then, when I started smoking, I'd smoke when I was bored. Now that I'm trying to quit, I find myself eating when I'm bored again and it's no bueno :(
  • GroovyFoxyLove
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Thank you sooo much for posting this topic! I smoke a pack a day so same as you and I exercise 40 minutes vigorously a day! I also do more moderate things such as walking and cleaning. I am 254 lbs and 5 foot 2 BTW. So far, it has not been easy but I've been committed. I huff and puff like crazy and have to drink water a couple times during my workouts but I always push through. Let me also add that I'm 23 years old and have been sedentary for pretty much all my life. I'm also an ex-addict to drugs and have been clean for over a year..well the hard stuff..I quit smoking pot a couple months ago. Anyway, I have been doing research and studies show that smokers that exercise even for only 15 minutes a day, prolong their life expectancy by a few years. So exercise is very good for smokers! Some may need to take it slow though..everybody is different.
  • GroovyFoxyLove
    Options
    Oh and from what I read, exercising can help smokers quit the habit as well. I want to quit eventually but I'm not ready at the moment. I'm still proud of myself though for changing my lifestyle. I eat healthy and exercise daily so it's one step at a time for me. Best of luck to you! I know when we quit, we will be much happier!