Question for those 5' and under

Options
ch178
ch178 Posts: 364 Member
How many calories do you try to net for the day? I'm set at 1200 right now and unless I exercise and net around 700 or so the scale will not move.

Let me just say too that I have tried eating more calories and I consistently gain weight.

To others who are NOT 5' and under: please do not tell me that eating under 1200 cals will put me in starvation mode and all that, because calories needed for someone say even 5' 5 is completely different than what I need for my size.

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and my doctor and nutritionist have me net 1000-1100 calories per day. This means I do eat back part of my exercise calories. I was warned not to net less than the 1000.

IMO you should get a professional opinion on what to do for yourself. My numbers are based on dealing with PCOS and early onset menopause. Your numbers may be very different.
  • ZosiaJean
    ZosiaJean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay around 1000 - 1200 (net calories for the day). This works for me, and I have consistently lost about 1.5 lbs each week; but every body is different, so do what works for you.
  • balowry1
    Options
    I'm 4'9". I eat more than 1200 calories, but workout a lot. When I first started, I was losing 2 lbs a week. Now I'm losing 1 lb per week, because I've been working out less.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i am 5 feet even, and i eat about 1300-1600 cals per day, depending on my burned cals for the day..everyone is different, maybe try a longer workout ?? my loss is sometimes slow, and some weeks i even gain 2 lbs, so maybe try seeing a doctor, and see if they have any advice for you..best of luck
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1000-1200 calories, and work out quite often. I have weeks where I will lose then maintain for 2 weeks and then lose the following week.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There are definitely people who loose weight eating less than 1200 calories per day. That wouldn't work for me, but if you can eat this number of calories routinely and its working for you, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it (but I would not suggest doing this without a doctor's supervision).

In your photo you don't appear overweight (although this isn't something that would be obvious in a photo anyway). Depending on what you weigh, particularly if you are underweight, eating 1200 calories per day could cause you to gain which would be a good thing.

If you do restrict your caloric intake this severely, you want to make sure you are not using muscle as your energy source. So, be sure to incorporate strength training and eat protein to keep and build muscle. If you find that you have bad breath, this could be a sign of ketosis and you would definitely want to seek medical attention.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

It seems like you've done some work and identified your BMR via experimentation. But this metabolism seems pretty low, even for a smaller person. If you are not underweight, it might not be a bad idea to get a physical and have your thyroid and other endocrine systems checked, just to be sure there isn't something physiological working against you. If you've been using MFP for a while, print a net calorie report for the last 30 or 90 days and take it to your doctor. Mark on it what you weighed every few weeks or so.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm 147lbs right now. which puts me at a BMI of 28.5 ( overweight). A healthy weight for someone my height is around 95- 118 lbs so I'm definitely not underweight :)
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortie too~ 4'9" and I eat right around 1100-1200 calories a day. When I first joined MFP I was losing a pound a week but since July I've been struggling and keep gaining and loosing the same two pounds. I walk right around one and a half miles to two miles 6 days a week and plan on starting some more cardio and possibly weights.
  • Sambina32
    Sambina32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the calories Im set at 1200 but average 800, another site reputable said 900 for my size and age to loose weight! I too am having trouble with scale moving im 4"11 as well!
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    4'11 114lb I am now eating 1200 calories a day, working out 6 days a week (diffrent type of cardio) when I was doing less (700-900cal) I was not loosing weight plus I was too hungry to keep up for longer that a week. We are all diffrent.
  • lenaelkins
    lenaelkins Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm 147lbs right now. which puts me at a BMI of 28.5 ( overweight). A healthy weight for someone my height is around 95- 118 lbs so I'm definitely not underweight :)

I'm 5 feet fall, and consuming anywhere in between 1200-1352 calories everyday .The 1352 is based on my TDEE (total deficit eating expenditure), which measures how much you should be consuming verses how much you're exercising. You can find accurate TDEE calculators online. This, I believe, is the most effective way to know how many calories you should be consuming. (there are also several threads on MFP obout TDEE if you want to learn more about it).

Also, I wouldn't say that 95-118 is necessarily a healthy weight range for 5 feet tall. Where did you get those numbers? I started at 150 and am now at 122, and my BMI is in a healthy range. I'd focus less on a number that low, and more on what your body feels is healthy for YOU.

I hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 1400 calories, but only reach that amount a couple times per week. I, too, will not lose weight unless I exercise (both cardio & weights). I'm 4'11" and weigh 114. I recently got new scales that are more accurate so my ticker doesn't show my weight loss.
  • neintical
    neintical Posts: 20
    Options
    I am also 4'11 (Glad to see a lot of people with my height :) )

My calorie intake is set around 1250. I have lost 2 inches fat. (From measuring my tummy and also, I do not go by weight because I weight lift. so my weight increases as I lift more weights.)

Do you guys believe it is more hard for us shorties to lose weight than the other taller peers? I sometimes wonder this.
  • kyrstin__1188
    kyrstin__1188 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and have mine set to 1370 for now. I don't hit that very often, but I try to make sure I'm at least hitting 1200 each day. Usually if I'm between 1200-1370 I continue losing.
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10'' and have been eating at about 1200 net. If I do a lot of exercise I don't eat it all back. I decided this morning that I need to be happy with 2-3 lb weight loss per month. I just can't do any more than that.

Yes, I think it is harder for short people. We have very little wiggle room to get in our nutrients and stay within a calorie range where we can lose weight. The positive side is that it shows faster on us. If I lose 10 lbs I'm down 1 or 2 sizes. my friend who is 5'10'' lost 15 lbs (she wasn't obese). I could barely tell and her clothes just fit better...no change in size.
  • rjsnead
    rjsnead Posts: 4
    Options
    Just a thought, but are you adding in what you drink? People can consume as high as 600 calories in one Starbucks venti special coffees.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not under 5' - but I am 2 in taller and I typically eat less than 1200 - on most healthy days and when I make my own food, I eat between 900-1100 and can easily eat more if I eat out or have fast food.

I've been steadily losing and I don't eat back my cals half the time.
  • seamonkeychar
    seamonkeychar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5', I usually eat around 1300, with a 200 cal workout. So I'm netting around 1100 a day.
  • Emilina79
    Emilina79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" I find that being smaller means we have to work twice as hard to burn a high calorie rate and we're usually given lower calorie goal to stick to. Personally I find this hard to stick to 1200. I always eat not just that but my calories back from exercise. It is my first serious month at this though and feel im not doing too badly. I've lost weight this way. I walk to work 6 miles a day with a heavy rucksack and ankle weights and run about 2 miles 3 or so times a week.

I probably lose about a pound or 2 every couple weeks but I just can't seem to stick to the low calorie goal and would rather exercise more instead. I think the reason i've still lost weight is because muscle requires more energy to keep its form and so increases your matabolism. I'm no expert but i'd say just try to read as much as you can and do what makes sense and what you think will work with your lifestyle. Good luck.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1200 I'm 5 feet if I must maybe 1350