Are fitbits worth it?

Options
Hey! I was wondering for all of you fitbit users if you have found the fitbit to be worth it? Do you feel it has motivated you to take more steps and see what you caloric burn is for different exercises are? Is it accurate? Is there one you'd recommend over others? Have you noticed any problems with it? Is it difficult to use? Thank you for your opinions!

Replies

• mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Best 100 bucks I ever spent. It does motivate me, and I think the calorie burn is fairly accurate. So far no problems, other than I wish I could wear it to the lake! :)
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Look forward to any answer to this one, fitbit or hrm, my next birthday is looming
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think so. I have had mine for around 4 months and I don't go anywhere without it. From the moment I get out of bed I have it on. Keeps ya motivated and I like to see what I am doing through out the day. I would totally recommend one. I still want to get a HRM at some point because the fitbit will not register like if you are doing P90X or something where you really are not taking steps. But I still think it is a great investment especially since it is summer and I don't want to work out indoors.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Best 100 bucks I ever spent. It does motivate me, and I think the calorie burn is fairly accurate. So far no problems, other than I wish I could wear it to the lake! :)

I want one!! Bummer they aren't waterproof.. hehe
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I want to know as well! Thanks for asking the question! So what's the difference between a fitbit and a bodybugg similar products, but which is better?
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Yes, it's worth it! I have the Fitbit Ultra, which also tracks flights of stairs. I think it's accurate, and I have been losing weight (I eat back my exercise calories). It's also very easy to use. The Fitbit website syncs with MFP, which I love.

I haven't had any problems, but I've only had it two months. I've read numerous times that their customer service is amazing, though, so if you were to have problems, they will help you out.

I love that I don't have to log my exercise (I do walking, aerobics, circuit training, and intervals). And I am more motivated to move. I also like that I can see how intensely I'm working out as opposed to a pedometer that just gives you a straight step count.

You will not regret getting one!
  • Thechiplover
    Thechiplover Posts: 118
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and a HRM..

In my opinion i would go for the HRM, I just feel that the chest strap + watch are more accurate
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, best $100 I ever spent. The motivation factor was a surprise, you always want to beat your best numbers.

Had some syncing issues today for the first time but used the reset button and everything is fine.
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved mine until the dog decided to eat it. My hubbs is buying me another for my birthday. I loved that it not only did the steps and distance but the stairs and elevations (we hike a lot)

This was awesome and a great motivator for me!!!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Had mine since February and love it. I also have an HRM (Polar FT7). I use my HRM to track my work outs and my FitBit for motivation and extra calorie burn. Today, for example, I've already taken enough steps to log an extra 187 calories from walking. I also love using its sleep tracking feature to see how much rest I'm getting.

Just realize that the FitBit is a fancy pedometer, not really something you would use to track your workouts, in my opinion. If you want something to track exercise (not just walking/running/jogging) then you'll probably want an HRM instead.
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    Not sure how the fitbit differs from the bodybugg, but I loveeeee my Fitbit. I haven't started a true exercise schedule yet, but my Fitbit gives so much more insight when paired with MFP, than just using MFP alone. I already lost 5lbs with it in a couple of weeks because I can better understand what I am doing/not doing.

Go to this link to see a screenshot of the "dashboard". This is what I see when I log in.
    http://blogs.babycenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/screenshot_231.jpg

Even better, the Fitbit wirelessly synchs when your near your computer (and the charging port is plugged in).

Also - seeing my exact sleeping times, wakings, etc with graphs have help me better modify my sleep schedule...all which ties into your health and weight loss.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't say this enough times, but the fitbit was one of the best fitness related investments I've ever made. It motivates me to be active each and every day. If you're on the fence I'd say BUY, BUY, BUY!
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump (to read later)
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options

Just realize that the FitBit is a fancy pedometer, not really something you would use to track your workouts, in my opinion. If you want something to track exercise (not just walking/running/jogging) then you'll probably want an HRM instead.

I disagree. I've used it while doing various Jillian Michaels workouts and while the calorie burn is slightly underestimated because of the strengh training, I still think it's close enough.
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    Great little gadget. I don't leave home with out him. :)
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit and an HRM. the fitbit is handy but i personally use my HRM much more
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump I would like to read these answers at another time as well...
  • xtrordinari
    Options
    I honestly have to tell you that Fitbit has changed my life and I highly recommend it. I was a total couch potato and once I got the Fitbit that all changed. I have been using it for 3 weeks now and I LOVE! I didn't realize the connection between how much I eat and burn off until I could actually see it with the Fitbit data. Now I am exercising more and feeling fantastic. It is accurate and I use it along with a HRM. Best of all I am getting results.
  • bauml003
    bauml003 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've had my FitBit for about two months now, and I absolutely love it! It makes me get my butt up and moving around! :)
    I spent $100 dollars on it and it's the best $100 I've ever spent.

Last week, it was ridiculously warm up here in Minnesota (102 F!) and I happened to sweat a bit more than I usually would. The FitBit worked before the workout - but it was non-responsive after. I was baffled - until I realized it had been covered in sweat during my workout!

Apparently, FitBit is not meant to be water PROOF...just water RESISTANT. Anyway, I went on FitBit.com and sent a message to customer service stating that the screen was non-responsive. I got an e-mail back right away that said the following:

"Your replacement Fitbit is now being processed. Please allow 5-7 business days for your Fitbit Tracker to arrive. Please go ahead and recycle the defective unit through a local electronics recycling program. Feel free to keep the base station, wrist band and belt clip as your back-ups."

I didn't have to pay a dime for anything! Interestingly enough, one of my friends had bought one at BestBuy and the same thing happened to hers. She waltzed through the door, told them what happened, and they replaced it for FREE as well as part of their agreement with FitBit!

Another plus for the FitBit Ultra - One-year limited warranty - but EXCELLENT customer service!
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I want to know as well! Thanks for asking the question! So what's the difference between a fitbit and a bodybugg similar products, but which is better?

I bought a Bodybugg (by 24 Hour Fitness) and was able to get over my hump and got down to my original goal weight. The issues I had with the Bodybugg:
    1. I had to find clothes to cover the band on my arm
    2. The sensors on it would irritate my skin
    3. The food database was HORRIBLE. I had to add the majority of my food manually.
    4. Constantly being asked what was on my arm and if I was diabetic... I guess my arm band looked like an insulin pump?

I saw the Fit Bit at Best Buy a few weekends ago and decided to research it. I made the switch and I love it! I ordered my Fit Bit on Amazon, it came in on Tuesday and I'm already down a pound. It's just as accurate as my Bodybugg (which I lost 20 plus pounds using) but it is small enough to slip into my pocket (or wear on my bra if I don't have pockets). I would recommend it.