New and not very confident

Options
Just being completely and totally honest here...I am not so confident I can do this! I know I am a strong person, but I feel like I have so much weight to loose (starting with a 75lb goal for now). I am scared...terrified, really! But I want it, and I am ready to face it! For me motivation is a big factor. I am feeling motivated right now, just not very confident. I am working with a very limited budget, so I might have to get creative. Will I be able to stick to it this time?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I recently started as well and have the same amount of weight to lose! Planning meals/snacks ahead of time, find a good workout that you enjoy (a dvd, gym, doing classes, etc.) and having everything laid out really helps!

As far as budget, I've found that I spend significantly less eating healthy than I did when I was buying $10 bags of pizza rolls and hot pockets. If you had a SET schedule/regimen it makes it a lot easier to stick with it.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    don't concentrate on trying to hit perfection immediately.

Take it one step at a time. You are making small, permanently changes for a healthier lifestyle.

Introduce a change, get used to it, then another and another.

I started by tracking my food.
    Then keeping under my calorie limit regardless of the food I ate
    Then eating more fruit and veg
    Then switching to wholemeal bread
    Then adding more exercise.

Before long each of these little steps becomes routine, something you don't even notice. But every step is taking you closer to your goal.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Think of it as a new chapter in a book!

You got so far and now you are starting a new bit...it isn`t so hard.

Break the 75lbs down into parts...mini goals.

Limited budget isn`t too hard to go with...stay away from processed foods a lot of good foods are not too expensive and you can make lots of nice meals...eggs, potatoes, cheap cuts of meats to make things with...lots of suggestions on the recipe section.

Keep up your motivation, we have all wondered if we can do it and we can, so you can too x
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 180 pounds, so I know how you feel all too well. I've also started and stopped, started and stopped, started and stopped...

But there are several things that are helping me right now. First, MFP. Obviously. Secondly, I focus more on setting realistic fitness and diet goals, than losing weight. Losing weight will come with the territory. Third, I'm setting small goals with my weight. Trying to see my journey as "I need to lose 180 pounds" is overwhelming. Instead, I'm taking it in stages. I figure I should be able to lose 60-70 by October (having started my journey 8 weeks ago), 100 pounds by next May, the full 180 the year after that. Fourth, I am *not* depriving myself of anything. I eat small portions, but I also eat whatever I want. I've had pizza several times, hamburgers, cake, cookies... and I'm losing inches. Fifth, I am not on a diet. This is the lifestyle I've adopted for the rest of my life. By making it permanent rather than temporary, I *know* I can do this.

You can do this too! If you'd like some motivation, feel free to add me, I comment on statuses pretty often, and I'll be right there behind you with every step you make, encouraging you and praising every bit of progress you make. Good luck to you either way!
  • charmander89
    charmander89 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus on how far you have to go, that's just discouraging. Try and take it one day at a time, and really celebrate the little changes. Time goes by really fast, and in six months you'll be so happy you started now :)
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have 72 lbs. to lose and you CAN do it! I have decided that nothing can get in the way of me being healthy. After visiting the doc twice over the past year, my sugar levels in the blood work have been progressively going up, granted they are not super high to substantiate me as a diabetic, but moving that way. With that, I also have two friends who have diabetes and now they need kidney transplants b/c of the harm the disease has had on their bodies. I have made up my mind that I will not succumb to an illness I can control with weight-loss and diet. Find your motivation and, as Nike says, just DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • kjdobie
    kjdobie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You just have to set your mind to it and decide that you will do it. And I'm here to tell you that the longer you stay on the right track the eaiser it will get. I have been using MFP for about two months. I joined a gym and started really watching what I eat and at first it was hard. Your body goes through withdrawals, just like with any addiction, and it takes time but it does get easier. I haven't lost a whole bunch of weight yet but I am losing an average of a pound per week and I feel like that number is going to go up because I am finding it easier each day to stay within my calorie goal. Just commit completely to this process. Realize that you didn't get in this situation overnight. It will take time and hard work to get out of. You will have slip ups but if you keep pushing you will get through it. You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am also on a limited budget. I meal plan for the week ( based on what offers are around) which not only helps budget wise, but also helps that I can plan healthy meals (and that's all I've got in to eat so no cheating :wink: ). PLanning also means I don't buy stuff that goes to waste. I only buy what I need and use it up.

Using as little processed food as I can and concentrating on fresh (or frozen/tinned if necessary) fruit and veg - seasonal stuff tends to be cheaper, lean protein (eggs are cheap and a good source of protein, tinned fish is also good for you and cheap), and fewer carbs (wholegrain rice, potatoes, wholemeal bread).
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Make yourself smaller goals and take it one day at a time. It's really isn't more expensive to eat better. I eat whatever fruit is on sale for the week that way I never get tired of one particular one. Stock up on low calorie items when they are on sale such as popcorn and granola bars. You will find it is not so hard if you make smaller goals and just take it one day at a time. I look at this as a change of eating habits and not a diet so I eat what I like every day I just stay under my calories goals. Hope you have success. Just remember if one day you cheat and go over don't beat yourself up just start fresh the next day. Believe me we all have cheat days :}
  • TarezaCH
    TarezaCH Posts: 6
    Options
    I am glad you are being honest. I say concentrate one day at a time. Call on God for help. And get a good support system on line and if you can find one locally, even one weight loss/ fitness buddy/ can help. Goodluck. I have just started, again, this week. Looking for the same supports.
  • Loopylu84
    Loopylu84 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've got 50lb to lose, and just started too, don't worry about not doing it, just track your meals a day at a time. Even when you fall off the wagon, still record it all and don't give up and it will work.
  • lilinubo
    lilinubo Posts: 11
    Options
    SURE you will hon!

You are scared to find the new person who is inside you. Im terrible at diets bc some many of them tell you what to eat and what NOT to eat and I always fail bc I feel deprived, but one thing you will love about this program is that you can eat WHATEVER you want as far as you are tracking the calories. Then, we move slowly to a healthy lifesyle! I am pretty sure you can do this. I know many people that were super obese and you wouldnt believe it when you see them. If you are a beliver PRAY everyday that you will be able to accomplish ONE day at a time. Focus on TODAY and dont think about anything else.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great community! Thank you for all the tips, I have read through each and every one of them, and I appreciate each one. I like what was mentioned about small steps. Maybe this week I can just focus on tracking and being more active. I will go check out the recipes section to get some ideas for healthier meals on a budget. Thanks!
  • Beccababe01
    Options
    Hello I am Becca I still have to lose about 60lbs! Everyone and anyone feel free to add me! I love the support and i love helping others! Good luck!
  • DrewLundgren
    DrewLundgren Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello RejoicingL. I'm Drew from Pearland, TX just south of Houston. Welcome aboard. You have a long way to go, but I know with 100% certainty that it'll be worth it. You started your post with a comment about "I am scared ... terrified really." You're still in the first half of your life. I hope that you get excited about the prospect of a lifestyle change that'll make the second half the happiest part of your life, as opposed to being scared about the journey. You are completely justified in your trepidation, what you're doing is daunting. The rewards will be termendous. I hope I see a post from you in a year or two with the biggest thing in the picture being your smile.

Most important, get some supporting friends on MFP. I am finding them to be invaluable. They're great. Add me as a friend if you'd like. I'd be honored to lend some support when it is needed.