diet question

Options
hi im relatively new to the forums but been on MFP for a while now, i have been wondering if you could basically eat whatever foods you want but as long as you still in the limits of your calorie target according to MFP. in the past week i have been eating foods that are not considered particularly healthy but i am staying within my calorie and micro nutrients (carbs, fat, protein, including sugar) ranges. would this still be 'ok' towards a healthy weight loss. in the past week, i have lost 1 and a half pound so it does work but would it work if i sustained this over the period of the next few weeks. thanks

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think it depends if your goal is simply to lose weight or to achieve maximum health including building muscle and doing what you can to prevent heart disease and diabetes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You could sit down with a sack of sugar, a barrel of olive oil and a barrel of egg whites. That would keep you right on the macronutrients protein, fat and carbs as well as calories. You would die a horrible death from multiple deficiencies.

So a balance of foods to supply all your mineral, vitamin, essential fatty acid and protein requirements is usually advisable.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I think it depends if your goal is simply to lose weight or to achieve maximum health including building muscle and doing what you can to prevent heart disease and diabetes.

^^^ What she said. If you want to learn healthy habits for continued weight loss & healthy weight maintenance for life, you should be trying to change your eating for the better, not just meet calories. But if you just want to shed a few pounds in the short run, just make sure you're meeting your calorie goal.s
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Start by reaching your calorie goal, and not worrying so much about food choices. Once you're comfortable there, start gradually adjusting your food choices to ensure proper nutrition. If you try to do it all at once, you'll crash and burn.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1

for laughs google "twinkie diet"
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Start by reaching your calorie goal, and not worrying so much about food choices. Once you're comfortable there, start gradually adjusting your food choices to ensure proper nutrition. If you try to do it all at once, you'll crash and burn.
    ^^this.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You'll feel better if you eat healthier most of the time. It is possible to have balance with occasional less heathly choices. You may need to slowly add in more healthful items until your body and taste buds become accustomed to better foods.
  • robg19
    robg19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone, but when i said i wernt eating healthy, i wernt meaning having a mcdonalds or either was i meaning just having salad everyday, i am eating mediocre foods and wanted to know if it will do more good than harm, i have my answer now. thanks :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

^^^ What she said. If you want to learn healthy habits for continued weight loss & healthy weight maintenance for life, you should be trying to change your eating for the better, not just meet calories. But if you just want to shed a few pounds in the short run, just make sure you're meeting your calorie goal.s

^^^ what they said! Your weight loss is calories in vs calories out, but there is no way you will be healthy doing that. Not to say you cannot eat "what you want".. just do it in moderation and have tons and tons of good stuff too! =)
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's good to eat as you like all in moderation, but it's very important for your overall health to eat as healthy as possible, as often as possible. Your body processes healthy food more efficiently that it does the bad stuff ie. processed foods.

You are just starting this journey and if you are exercising that is a great start! I know when I started I slowly made changes to my diet. Over time exercise has actually helped curb my cravings for bad stuff. If you have never been a healthy eater start slow, don't try to revamp your bad habits all at once. Replace bad foods with good as you go! Soon you'll be eating healthy most of the and it won't be so bad!

Keep exercising and continue to slowly make changes to your diet. The idea of everything in moderation is key to being successful! Sure you'll have some binge days, bad days, etc., but it's how quickly you overcome and pick yourself up that will make the difference in your journey! You CAN do this, just takes effort, patience, perseverance, and time.