Anyone doing meal replacement shakes or protein shakes?

Options
I have been advised by my doctor to go on a meal replacement diet that is going to be monitored by the hospital. I am skeptical about it. I have tried the calorie counting however as a bulimic sufferer my mind is focusing too much on foods which is why the doctor is putting me onto these. It will be a 1000cal a day with three shakes and a meal but I am very scared of what will happen afterwards. Anyone else doing the same thing and has had results? Would love to buddy up with someone who knows my situation

Replies

• LiveHarder
    LiveHarder Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What are you scared of exactly? Trying to maintain?
    I drink shakes similar to slimfast from sometimes, just because they are easy, fast and no brainwork or calculation. I know that's probably not what you are looking for, but if there is anything I can help with, just let me know. :smile:
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the total lean shakes from GNC for a couple of weeks now. I'm using the ready to drink ones just because they are convenient and were on sale. So far so good, and I have lost a little over 6 pounds. I have one for breakfast, one for lunch, and then eat a regular dinner. I sometimes have a snack in the afternoon or evening, depending on when I'm eating. I'm sure you have a bunch of people working with you on this since its being monitored by the hospital, but would it be ore helpful for you to think of this as a drink or as a meal? I would think with the bulimia this might be easier for you than regular meals, just because you don't get that super "full" feeling afterwards, more of a content feeling so less of an urge to purge? Good luck!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone and well done on your weight losses so far on these. I will give them a go and see how it goes
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started a meal replacement program called Medifast which is doctor recommended. (You can Google it for more information.) I actually have 6 meals a day every 2-3 hours. 5 meals are the meal replacement packets and one is called "Lean and Green" where I have my dinner with my family eating things like grilled chicken and vegetables.

I have lost weight on this program many years ago and it has changed a lot since then, more food choices, better tasting, etc. I gained my weight back by making unhealthy choices and thought I should try it again. Currently on week 1.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC lean shakes (powdered) but I really just drink them for breakfast for three reasons.

1. Low calories.
    2. Gives me something sweet tasting.
    3. I feel sick when I eat breakfast, but I am also hungry at the same time.

I have been staying away from the scale since it's out of batteries and honestly I am scared to get new batteries LOL at least not until a few months of working out and eating better at least, but my pants are feeling looser.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    They also taste good when you add banana or frozen fruit too, so that's a plus.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am taking MRS, isagenix. I have them for breakfast and dinner. Works perfectly for me because I don't have to cook:) I always wanted to eat less and this seems to be the easiest solution. When I am at the weight I am comfortable with I'll keep doing shakes, it's just easy. I have read good reviews of ideal shape mrs, will try them too later once I am done with the I. Add frozen berries, fruit and ice to your taste.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Brill well I am starting the last week in July once I get various tests done first
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    good luck with the tests and keep posting on how you are doing. health means good life and it's better than any food.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    My friend is a consultant for Isagnex and she done amazing herself!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use the atkins shakes. I like the taste. Even when I am not dieting, I have them frequently for breakfast just because they are quick and easy and they taste good. I have lost 25 pounds while having the shakes for one or two meals a day and not having any second helpings for supper. It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been that bad either. I am on 1400 calories, so thats more than what you are getting. I think I would be hungry on 1000.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    I use the atkins shakes. I like the taste. Even when I am not dieting, I have them frequently for breakfast just because they are quick and easy and they taste good. I have lost 25 pounds while having the shakes for one or two meals a day and not having any second helpings for supper. It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been that bad either. I am on 1400 calories, so thats more than what you are getting. I think I would be hungry on 1000.

I have been sticking to 1200 calories a day before the new plan so I am hoping 200cals won't make much of a difference. I know if I am hungry I will just eat the 200 more.
  • Mare7560
    Mare7560 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am using IdealShape Meal Replacement Shakes! I LOVE THEM! There is a page on the Idealshape website that lists the differences between their shake and others. I thought it might be helpful. You can also click on the nutritional facts to see what is really in it and make the comparisons yourself. http://www.idealshape.com/meal-replacement-shakes/

One thing that really impressed me was I saw a comment on their facebook page from someone who wanted to use their product for diabetes and instead of making all these claims that their shake cures everything... they told the person to print off the nutritional facts and ingredients and take them to their dr. I thought that showed class. They act genuinely concerned about the person instead of just making a sell. Ya know what I mean?
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    I am using IdealShape Meal Replacement Shakes! I LOVE THEM! There is a page on the Idealshape website that lists the differences between their shake and others. I thought it might be helpful. You can also click on the nutritional facts to see what is really in it and make the comparisons yourself. http://www.idealshape.com/meal-replacement-shakes/

One thing that really impressed me was I saw a comment on their facebook page from someone who wanted to use their product for diabetes and instead of making all these claims that their shake cures everything... they told the person to print off the nutritional facts and ingredients and take them to their dr. I thought that showed class. They act genuinely concerned about the person instead of just making a sell. Ya know what I mean?

Wow they seem great, shame they are not avaliable here as I would definitely recommend them to a friend, thanks for this info. I learnt allot from this and what to expect
  • iluvmyortiz1122
    iluvmyortiz1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done Isagenix in the past but now I'm doing Shakeology as a replacement for lunch. I'm on my second month and love it!
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use Chocolate Shakeology and make different recipes for variety. I absolutely love it and all of the nutrients in it!