Do you take any supplements/vitamins?

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I take:

Who knows what works and what doesn't, but I have noticed a marked difference in my appetite after starting the Raspberry Ketones. I used to eat just to eat eat eat eat eat, but now I'm not "starving" all day.

You've noticed what's called "placebo effect".
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    The only thing i take is an Omega 3/6/9 combo supplement (fish, borage, flax) I dont eat enough fish to benefit.
    I've watched and I get tons of calcium from my food/ beverages, so it would be pointless for me to supplement that.
    When I think of it, I take my Alive multi vitamin adult gummies.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you are taking anything more than:

Multivitamin (with iron if you have a vag)
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin D
    Maaaaaybe Vitamin C
    Creatine or BCAAs if you lift.
    Something Recommended By a Licensed Physician for a specific need/deficiency.

..you are wasting money. Most of your nutrition you should be getting from food, and guess what...if you were ACTUALLY deficient your liver will synthesize most of the rest.

(Disclaimer: I don't really count protein powder as a supplement, just food honestly)

Folic acid is great for metabolism support you can add wheat germ to your diet (taste like parmesan cheese and it is a great source of folic acid if you don't want the supplements in pill form). That is the only thing I would add to the list. I also take potassium/magnesium b/c I have a lot of muscle cramping.. but that's the only reason. Other than that.. I do a multi pack with added B vitamins for energy, fish oil, and if I'm super bloated/constipated i'll do acai berry for a week or so but its not good to do consistently. Your body needs to bacteria it creates and the acai berry cleanses the bad and the good from your intestinal track.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I take the Centrum old people's, errr I mean 50+ multivitamin.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My current supplement lineup:
    Multi-Vitamin
    Whey Protein
    Casein Protein
    Micronized Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin
    Vitamin C
    BCAA's

My mother complains that I'm too young to be taking so many different things.
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    <~~~~

B12- great brain and nervous system, formation of blood cells, and helps with fatigue and depression
    B6- for healthy skin
    Multi-vitamin- the kind that helps metabolism
    Calcium with vitamin D- every women should take this to promote bone health, and reduce cancer risks.

all that other stuff you take i tried on the pass too. i dont think they work.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I take:

Vitamin C
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Vitamin B 12
    Grape Seed Extract
    Raspberry Ketones
    Chia Seeds

Who knows what works and what doesn't, but I have noticed a marked difference in my appetite after starting the Raspberry Ketones. I used to eat just to eat eat eat eat eat, but now I'm not "starving" all day.

I am interested in adding a protein powder, and am definitely open to suggestion as to tasty ones.

Pure Protein Brand 100% whey Powder. Walmart and Target carry it for about $19.99. The containers are huge but don't let it scare you. I have been taking 1/2 scoop daily, in the morning, and it has helped keep me full longer. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk, but you can make smoothies, shakes, etc with it. My friend even used it to make power bars.
  • nostalgicfortune
    Options
    Yeah i take a calcium and multivitamin -if you can find a multi that does both that'd be great-
    and then a protein powder because it is sooooo important for muscle growth
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I take biotin and B12.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i just take a multi vitamin and won't take anything else...my doctor says to take iron supplements but i hate what they do to the plumbing...so i try to eat more iron rich foods...
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nature Made Multi-Vitamin (if your multi-vitamins make you sick, I highly suggest these, this is the only ones in pill form that I can take that don't make me throw up everywhere)

Biotin (hair and nail health, one of my medications makes my hair shed more frequently so this helps keep the growth up)

Occasionally Iron since I'm borderline anemic if I don't get enough red meat.

Considering taking Fish Oil

I'm really bad about remembering to take pills, so I really aim to get most of my needed nutrients from my food.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I take:

Vitamin C
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Vitamin B 12
    Grape Seed Extract
    Raspberry Ketones
    Chia Seeds

I am interested in adding a protein powder, and am definitely open to suggestion as to tasty ones.

Protein powders:
    Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey - Strawberry Banana -- yummmm -- I've tried some of their other stuff and so far this one is my favorite (vanilla made me want to vomit after a while)

Bsn's Syntha-6 Mochaccino -- This is what I'm currently taking and it's, by far, the tastiest protein I've ever had.

Get what you think works for you though, Body Fortress' Chocolate Peanut Butter Whey protein (sold at Walmart) is pretty awesome if you're on a tight budget. I have a tub of that stuff in my kitchen too!
  • happyapplegirl
    Options
    I take:

You've noticed what's called "placebo effect".

Whatever you say, man. I will continue to take all of these as they were recommended by my doctor. Well, except the chia seeds because they make me itch. I am expecting to see sprouts coming out of my chest. LOL
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, vitamin d (i live pretty far up north and don't get enough sun) and Proferrin iron pills during TOM.

@knk - i will check out those multivitamins, i take gummy ones because i throw up solid pills. it's so embarassing.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I take:

Vitamin C
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Vitamin B 12
    Grape Seed Extract
    Raspberry Ketones
    Chia Seeds

I'm a huge fan of GNC's Lean Shakes- Lean 25 Rich Chocolate.. it's 25 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber and 3 grams of fat, 200 calories. Very tasty. :)
  • happyapplegirl
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Myself, my husband and even the 3 dogs all take vitamins and supplements. We feel so much better on them.
    I take:
    A really good woman's multi with every thing under the sun in it.
    Fish oil.
    A
    C
    D
    E
    garlic
    magnesium/malic acid
    and herbal fat burners for women from Universal

Since I've been doing this, I'm off all blood sugar meds, all cholesterol meds and I rarely need pain meds for my fibro.
  • Glamorous_RN
    Glamorous_RN Posts: 204
    Options
    I too stopped them all and started shakeology, its awesome.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I take these things call Ab Cuts which has omega 3 fish oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil, Borage oil, sesame seed oil, and vitamin E

I also take Biotin, and occasionally bee pollen pills
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If you are taking anything more than:

Multivitamin (with iron if you have a vag)
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin D
    Maaaaaybe Vitamin C
    Creatine or BCAAs if you lift.
    Something Recommended By a Licensed Physician for a specific need/deficiency.

..you are wasting money. Most of your nutrition you should be getting from food, and guess what...if you were ACTUALLY deficient your liver will synthesize most of the rest.

(Disclaimer: I don't really count protein powder as a supplement, just food honestly)

Folic acid is great for metabolism support you can add wheat germ to your diet (taste like parmesan cheese and it is a great source of folic acid if you don't want the supplements in pill form). That is the only thing I would add to the list. I also take potassium/magnesium b/c I have a lot of muscle cramping.. but that's the only reason. Other than that.. I do a multi pack with added B vitamins for energy, fish oil, and if I'm super bloated/constipated i'll do acai berry for a week or so but its not good to do consistently. Your body needs to bacteria it creates and the acai berry cleanses the bad and the good from your intestinal track.

Oh boy where to begin.

Folic acid doesn't really do much for your metabolism though it is great for you, I don't need wheat germ though or need to buy supplements because I already eat plenty of avocados, papaya, potatos, lettuce, whole wheat, eggs, halibut, parsley, tuna, green beans, black beand, cauliflower, bananas, blueberries, broccoli, apples, cabbage, almonds, carrots, ANY CITRUS FRUIT, strawberries, plums, raspberries, spinach, olives, bell peppers, lentils, oats, chickpeas (*kitten* yeah hummus), garlic, squash, sweet potatos, oregano, sage, thyme, soybeans, tofu, flax, beef, honey, salmon, cashews, prunes, chicken, yogurt, brown rice, olive oil (see olives), and quinoa!

Oh and because I eat all those things I happen to get plenty of everything else you listed, and am never constipated.

By the way did you know Acai is just a generic berry down in South America that Brazillians (where it mainly comes from) don't give near as much of a *kitten* about as all the people outside the area buying into as a cure all do? Also that cleanses are complete bullsh*t and if you eat generally healthy and have a functioning liver and a kidney or two you don't need to cleanse anything?

Also supplementing potassium unless advised by a doctor is generally unnecessary and sometimes dangerous.