• LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D - prescription strength
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I take:

Who knows what works and what doesn't, but I have noticed a marked difference in my appetite after starting the Raspberry Ketones. I used to eat just to eat eat eat eat eat, but now I'm not "starving" all day.

You've noticed what's called "placebo effect".

Whatever you say, man. I will continue to take all of these as they were recommended by my doctor. Well, except the chia seeds because they make me itch. I am expecting to see sprouts coming out of my chest. LOL

If you are seeing a doctor who advised you to take raspberry ketones (which is a complete bit of schlock, seriously), and acai berries, you need to get a new doctor.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Nope. I get what I need from food.

http://gettingstronger.org/2011/03/the-case-against-antioxidants/

Get tested and see if you're lacking in anything, no need to throw $ at something you don't need, plus it's better for your health. ;)

I do know maybe 6 months ago I was severely deficient in vitamin D and vitamins b-12. I guess things worked out though, because I got blood drawn and everything was a-ok. :)

Good point here though. I'm thinking I'll use up what I've got left and go back to just a regular ole' multivitamin.
  • chris1816
    Options

Get tested and see if you're lacking in anything, no need to throw $ at something you don't need, plus it's better for your health. ;)

I do know maybe 6 months ago I was severely deficient in vitamin D and vitamins b-12. I guess things worked out though, because I got blood drawn and everything was a-ok. :)

Good point here though. I'm thinking I'll use up what I've got left and go back to just a regular ole' multivitamin.

Vitamin D is one of the only ones I would recommend you still take as it is simply involved in so much and most people are deficient. Contrary to what people say there isn't really a toxicity level either unless you are taking hundreds of thousands of IUs day after day, month upon month.

I'd say a 5000iu Vitamin D capsule a day is ideal along with a multi just to be sure, but generally you can and should be getting most of your nutrition from food.

Also, never cleanse, please.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options
    Nature Made Multi-Vitamin (if your multi-vitamins make you sick, I highly suggest these, this is the only ones in pill form that I can take that don't make me throw up everywhere)

Oh gosh, thanks for the suggestion! I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally thrown up my multivitamin. It's so irritating to the stomach. I actually haven't been taking multivitamins in the past month or two because of that. :sick:
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Vitamin D is one of the only ones I would recommend you still take as it is simply involved in so much and most people are deficient. Contrary to what people say there isn't really a toxicity level either unless you are taking hundreds of thousands of IUs day after day, month upon month.

I'd say a 5000iu Vitamin D capsule a day is ideal along with a multi just to be sure, but generally you can and should be getting most of your nutrition from food.

Not stupid enough to cleanse. :D And, I have a TON of vitamin D pills left over, so I think I might start up on that again. If I was deficient once, probably will be again since my diet hasn't changed too much.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Multi Vitamin for women 50yrs+
    Fish Oil
    Met-Rx Whey Protein 100% Natural Powder
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mine are all Dr. prescribed but the last one.
    - Multi-Vitamin
    - Vitamin D (with Calcium) (2000 iu)
    - Fish Oil (2000 iu)
    - Chromium Picolinate
    and
    - Cinnamon (only one not approved by Dr.)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Good on you! Do it right. :)
  • chris1816
    Options

Not stupid enough to cleanse. :D And, I have a TON of vitamin D pills left over, so I think I might start up on that again. If I was deficient once, probably will be again since my diet hasn't changed too much.

Another good Multi for content and quality of ingredients (magnesium citrate, not oxide, for example) is Opti-Women by Optimum Nutrition. I take the men's version along with their fish oil. Main reason I mention is she said it was easy to swallow and didn't cause any stomach issues for her either.

Also I heart you for not being stupid enough to cleanse.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil...for my mood more than anything. Same with vitamin B. I take Vitamin C because I'm one of those terrible smokers. I take green tea but it did diddly squat so after the bottle is empty I'm not taking it.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I take fish oil...for my mood more than anything. Same with vitamin B. I take Vitamin C because I'm one of those terrible smokers. I take green tea but it did diddly squat so after the bottle is empty I'm not taking it.

Just drink it, most of this *kitten* is meant to be enjoyed, not packed in a pill.

It's a good tea.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options
    Another good Multi for content and quality of ingredients (magnesium citrate, not oxide, for example) is Opti-Women by Optimum Nutrition. I take the men's version along with their fish oil. Main reason I mention is she said it was easy to swallow and didn't cause any stomach issues for her either.

Also I heart you for not being stupid enough to cleanse.

Actually I didn't know acai berry was a 'cleanse' scam. That's enlightening! I've heard the whole super-fruit crap.. same thing? Ah well. My mom bought the supplement, I saw it sitting in the back of the medicine cabinet untouched, and I figured I'd give it a try. Two little gel-pills filled with berry goo... couldn't hurt to see what made it so super duper. :P I surely don't start taking anything that claims "cleansing" effects. I trust my liver and kidneys.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Just drink it, most of this *kitten* is meant to be enjoyed, not packed in a pill.

It's a good tea.

Oooof, I'm learning the joys of drinking green tea now too. Haven't tried regular, but the blueberry one is amazing..... Talk about ironic. We have acai berry green tea too in the cupboards. It smells like prunes. :|
  • chris1816
    Options
    Yeah it's the big snake oil panacea of late. It's a decent tasting berry, but funny enough in most of the ways it is provided (liquid, pills etc) it loses absurd amounts of it's actual nutritional value. It can apparently cleanse you, make you lose weight, balance your checkbook, find Waldo, give you 3500% of most micronutrients, and make you a dinosaur riding sex god.

Or so I hear.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I used to live in South America for years, family is all from Argentina/Paraguay on my mom's side and every time people here go on about the wonderful amazing acai berry, or yerba mate and all the magical properties they have I laugh my *kitten* off.

Yerba mate though is a good tea, and does have some minor benefits (crash free stimulant, decent for digestion). Don't look for it in health food places though. Go to a local hispanic food market somewhere, look for Taragui Mate Cocido, comes in teabags.

If you like green tea you will like that.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's the big snake oil panacea of late. It's a decent tasting berry, but funny enough in most of the ways it is provided (liquid, pills etc) it loses absurd amounts of it's actual nutritional value. It can apparently cleanse you, make you lose weight, balance your checkbook, find Waldo, give you 3500% of most micronutrients, and make you a dinosaur riding sex god.

Or so I hear.

so is fish oil and vitamin D. ;)
  • tiki1078
    tiki1078 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take Alive multi-vitamin, prescribed vitamin D, and Beverly international products (which I usually have to order online). I love the Lean Out pills and UMP protein powder and sometimes will take 7-keto. I usually have a smoothie every morning with the protein powder.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Multibionta

and I drink 3 cups of green tea (various flavours) per day.

Was prescribed Palafer for iron deficiency but that makes me so sick I stopped taking it.
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't take any vitamins, supplements or any of that jazz. I eat food. As simple and fresh as I can get.