Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Looking to invest into a heart rate monitor to get serious about my running. I'm just starting back up from an injury from soccer, and I wanted to start fresh with the gear. I remember reading a lot of posts about the Polar Wrist HRM, but I have also stepped across other things such as the Adidas micoach and the Nike Fuelband (regardless of it not being a hrm), but I'm not so sure how good those are anyways. I figured I would ask the best and come here. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bumping this topic. Would really like to get more info on HRM's as well. Looking at purchasing one too. :happy:
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 Polar's and they quick working pretty quickly. My next one will not be a Polar, but not sure which one I am going to get....I am going to watch this post to see what others suggest. I again, do not suggest the Polar!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    GARMIN! I'm in love with my Garmin and I'll never buy another brand. There is a wide range of products so you can find one that fits in your price range and works for the training you want. The Garmin website is great for helping you decide which one is best for you.

ETA: I have the Garmin 310XT because I do triathlons (it's waterproof and has multi sport mode) but I have several running friends who have various other Garmins and love them too. Not sure of the exact product name since I don't have it, but like I said, check Garmin's website.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. But I'm not huge into running (yet). I think I read that the Polar FT40 or 60 is better for runners.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't workout without my Polar FT4!!!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and have no complaints.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4
    Got mine here, 68.00, no taxes and no shipping fee. I love mine so much!
  • crochetnut
    crochetnut Posts: 35
    Options
    I just ordered a Wahoo Run/Gym Pack for iPhone - and I'm not a runner - just a walker! I bought my husband one for Father's Day, and he swears by it.....can't wait to get mine!!
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 which is just the entry level model and very affordable. I've had it for 6 mos and love it, highly recommend!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    garmin all the way.

i had a polar ft4 and it was fantastic, but for running totally hopeless, cause well I wanted to know about my speed, elevation etc.

so imo get a garmin
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Polar series is the way to go.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and a fitbit. love them both!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. But I'm not huge into running (yet). I think I read that the Polar FT40 or 60 is better for runners.

I just bought an FT7, I'm interested to see how much exercise I'm getting during my stop-start football coaching

As I am reaching my optimum weight I'm hopeful that this time I will be better equipped to accurately estimate my maintenance calories. I'm not going back to overweight!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7 here. LOVE IT. I am a novice runner. I go for walk/runs several days a week, and I use it at the gym for cardio, strength, and swimming. Works great for me.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    I got my Sportline HRM at walmart. I've only had it about a month but I like it!
    http://www.amazon.com/Sportline-1010-Unisex-Heart-Monitor/dp/B002GGGO4W
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and a fitbit. love them both!
    Same here! Have you noticed a big difference between polar and fitbit calorie burn readings ?
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance NB4, designed for women, but they make a men's equivalent. I think they run about $69, but i Bought it at Target in January for an awesome sale price of $39. It has the chest strap, which I believe gives a more accurate reading than those without, It was easy to program, And very easy to use. One down side, because the watch is smaller, it can be a little hard to read the small numbers. But, a men's size shouldn't pose that same problem. I now wear the watch all the time. It's not fancy, it measures time, amount of time in 'range', % body fat burned, high heart rate and average heart rate. I think you can save 5 workouts in the history.

For the investment, I think they are worth their weight in gold.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't workout without my Polar FT4!!!

SAME. I love my FT4, it has never failed me. I wear it during ALL exercise, I find it really accurate for running and weight lifting, aerobic and anaerobic exercise.